Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #169

Of course we do! What do you think it is for? Keep it sanitized and there should be no problem. Excess worry about these types of potential problems is a waste of time. Explore our great country and live like you do at home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #170

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
So, by your logic, we also shouldn't get vaccinated against any diseases so that we can build up a "natural" disease immunity (or at least for those of us who survive)?

Count me out.
Entirely different discussion my friend. We're not talking polio or smallpox or happily drinking from a contaminated supply.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Hello Again...

I know how to clean my water tanks, etc.

My question is: Does anyone really drink the water in their on board tanks unless it is a last resort? Or to clean your vegtables?

Personally, I stick to bottled water for everything unless I have no other options...which has yet to happen.

Just curious as to what other ways you get your drinking water.

Thanks All!
What is your opinion of the responses to your question so far?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What is your opinion of the responses to your question so far?
I calibrated my thinking several years ago when I was standing pumping three plus dollar a gallon gas into my car. Looking at the sale items stacked outside I figured that the cost per gallon gas was cheapest follow by bad beer, then brand name soda and the most expensive was plain water. That was before the BPA scare so there was an extra bonus in the water. It seems the less one needs it the more it costs but there are always customers for the conspicuous consumption crowd.

What really gets me is that I learned around 8th grade that we were all drinking recycled dinosaur pee. Then we learned the space station water reclaimer was no big deal. All the towns along the river put their water intake upstream and their waste water treatment outflow down stream. That and a lot of similar issues has only convinced me that there are a lot of people who react without thinking.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #173
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I calibrated my thinking several years ago when I was standing pumping three plus dollar a gallon gas into my car. Looking at the sale items stacked outside I figured that the cost per gallon gas was cheapest follow by bad beer, then brand name soda and the most expensive was plain water. That was before the BPA scare so there was an extra bonus in the water. It seems the less one needs it the more it costs but there are always customers for the conspicuous consumption crowd.

What really gets me is that I learned around 8th grade that we were all drinking recycled dinosaur pee. Then we learned the space station water reclaimer was no big deal. All the towns along the river put their water intake upstream and their waste water treatment outflow down stream. That and a lot of similar issues has only convinced me that there are a lot of people who react without thinking.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #174

I don't drink the water for one reason...I use that water for the coach...

I can add 10 -1 gallon jugs for drinking and put the weight were ever I need it.. also
I can replimish my supply at at the store or gas station..

if I run the coach out of water , sometimes it's tough to find a hook up willing to give you water...

if not drinking it I can fill up with non potable water on the road side..

I come from the van days and the water supply was a "GOTT" cooler

still have a van... wife doesn't like going "CRAMPING" as she calls it..
Old 01-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #175

Wonder why UAV has never returned to read and/or respond to, the 13(till now) pages of responses to his/her question. That's enough I quit this silliness.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #176

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Wonder why UAV has never returned to read and/or respond to, the 13(till now) pages of responses to his/her question. That's enough I quit this silliness.
Perhaps he accomplished his goal -- just to stir up discussion.

What struck me in his initial post was, "Personally, I stick to bottled water for everything"

So he won't drink from the large plastic bottle installed in his RV, but will drink from small, one-time use plastic bottles he's got to tote around.

Only issue here is the size of the plastic container.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #177
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
So he won't drink from the large plastic bottle installed in his RV, but will drink from small, one-time use plastic bottles he's got to tote around.

Only issue here is the size of the plastic container.
Don't start confusing the issue here with logic.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:46 AM   #178

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2.5 gallon container we fill before we leave home for coffee and whatever and buy a case of bottle water for drinking. I don't trust water in other places especially my water tank in my motorhome. I have health problems and don't want to add to the issues. So far we have never ran out but we have never stayed longer than a week. I clean my water tank every time we go on a trip but I still don't trust something I can't see.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #179

Does Anyone Really Drink Water from Their On Board Water Tanks?

If we are traveling, then every tank fill is from a different source. From hard to soft with varying levels and types of contaminants. Was a 'boil water' warning issued the day before we arrived or an hour after we left? Is the campground owner spending the money on water purification and testing of his well? We just don't know.

The bottled water, with all its impurities, is consistent by comparison.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
If you are traveling, then every tank fill is from a different source. From hard to soft with varying levels and types of contaminants.

Our water softener is between 2 whole house filters, so everything onboard is soft and clean. Always great showers, no bits in the ice, cleaner dishes, etc.
YMMV

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #181

Fleetwood Owners Club
We disinfect with bleach the tank and plumbing every year. I highly doubt you will run into bad water, if a Campground was dispensing it you would see almost everyone sick and the place would go out of business.
When I was kid I drank from streams while hiking, the lead laced green garden hose, and probably a few other places that were not so sanitary. I have a filter we use to keep the big chunks out, but if it has not killed me yet and comes from a faucet, I will take my chances, roll the dice and keep getting my water from there and drinking it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #182

Survey Says . . .

If my counting is correct, out of 112 different forums users,
  • 80 said they drank out of their water tank
  • 23 said they used bottled water
  • 36 said they at least filter their tank water before drinking

Most folks seemed to take this thread as a RV water tank vs bottled water issue -- probably because OP said he only drank bottled water. But OP also asked "what other ways you get your drinking water". That's why I and a couple of others talked up filtering tank water before drinking it.

Some folks seemed to think that just regularly cleaning an RV's water tank was enough. Figuring, I guess, that any water they put into the tank would be good.

My favorite responses read like this . . . "I've been drinking tank water for XX years and I'm still alive" or "When I was growing up, I drank (something bad), and I'm still here." An interesting line of reasoning.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water