Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #29
Winnebago Owners Club
Why not?

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally, this time of year, I'd be using the on-board tank because the city over-chlorinates, Running it into the on-board tanks lets the Bleach dissipate before i feed it to my Brita filter.

However,, This is not a normal winter,, Still I keep the tank full and properly Chlorinated.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
We use RV water for everything including coffee.
For drinking water we typically have bottled water, I guess mainly for the convenience.
Like a few others have ask, why not use RV water?
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #32
Let's see, at home I go to the local stand pipe to get water, it comes from a tank higher on the hill. I then transfer it into my water hauling tanks and then drive home and transfer it again, this time into my 3,000 gal home storage tank. When we go somewhere I will again transfer it into the fresh water tanks and my aux jugs (5 gals each, that go to a goose neck at the sink, via a small pump, used for making coffee, ice, and drinking water). It has been years since I "sanitized" my tanks. The only problem I had was when my filter case got all yucked up. So I got rid of them!

So, yeah, I guess I drink water from my tanks!

On the road, when we find water we like, we will top of the jugs. Some water will just not make good coffee and may not taste good! I rigged up the Aux water supply years ago while in Baja in order to keep "good" water for coffee and drinking just in case. As a last resort, we will get water from a store front machine, but never store bought bottled water.
'01 National RV Tropi-Cal, Ford V10, '01 Suzuki GV 4X4 Blue Ox Tow Bar,300 Watts Solar, 2500 Watt '458' Inverter, NO TVs, Most light fixtures upgraded to LEDs

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #33
Commercial Member
We have always drunk the water from the fresh tanks of our rvs. We have never purchased bottled tap water. But then we have never been to Quartzsite, AZ where the water is brown.
06 HR Navigator 45'PBQ Detroit 60 / 2011 Ford Edge
USAF 72-82 A1E/A1H(SkyRaider) DW Retired Nurse
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #34
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Like everyone else, we have a charcoal filter after the water tank, and a second filter for the water to the ice maker/chilled water dispenser. Don't think twice about drinking it, but sometimes I am more concerned with the campground water.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
To Drink or Not To Drink

Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Hello Again... Does anyone really drink the water in their on board tanks unless it is a last resort? Or to clean your vegtables?
We load bottled water prior to leaving, since our home tap water is terrible.

But, once on the road, when we find decent water we switch to drinking from the tap. Making coffee is the real litmus test: if a municipal supply makes good coffee I consider it good for drinking.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #36
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
...Does anyone really drink the water in their on board tanks?..
No. We always have full hook ups and travel with a couple of gallons of drinking water and a gallon to use in the toilet.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #37
Winnebago Owners Club
We "drink the water." But we also sanitize the FW tank every Spring. I imagine that if we felt our FW supply had been compromised that we would intiiate "Plan B" (use Bottled Water). \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #38
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In fact if you use a carbon filter you are REMOVING any anti bacterial chemicals and are more prone to breeeding bad bugs in your system.
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The only filter that should be used on water entering the fresh water tank is a sediment filter.
You're both assuming that the incoming water is either chlorinated or just needs the "rocks" removed with a sediment filter.

Since campground water can come from a variety of sources (not just treated city water), my RV filtration system is intended to filter the bejeezus out of incoming water . . . just in case.
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #39
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our first camper in 1968. It was a 68 Shasta Compact. We used the water tank in it. We have used the water tank in all 3 popups, 2 travel trailers, and 5 motorhomes. We installed a filter in 1985 in our 78 Argosy. We have used a filter in all motorhomes since then. We have never had a problem with water.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #40
Yes we drink from the tank water,
2008 Monaco Cayman XL 38PBD
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain
JManatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Sure, I drink the water from the fresh water tank. If one knows their coach, does proper maintenance and uses the whole coach filter everything has always been safe. No worries here.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #42
Winnebago Owners Club
All the time. We fill the tank with RO water. It makes the best coffee. We use the tank water for everything.

RO waste water is piped to the trees at our RV site.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, water