Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
We drink the water in our water tanks. Did the same on our sailboat for over 25 years.

Magna #5342
Sailor Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Sure, I drink the water from the fresh water tank. If one knows their coach, does proper maintenance and uses the whole coach filter everything has always been safe. No worries here.

Same with us

Old 12-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou View Post
why does everyone filter city water
I thought city water is ready to drink
Water quality standards are different from area to area...and, taste is also different between regions.. thus the filter helps with that some.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #46

I always used bottled water, even when on city hookup to be honest. Just peace of mind for me
Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You're both assuming that the incoming water is either chlorinated or just needs the "rocks" removed with a sediment filter.

Since campground water can come from a variety of sources (not just treated city water), my RV filtration system is intended to filter the bejeezus out of incoming water . . . just in case.

I commend you on the design and very workman like installation of your water system. I currently just have a 2 filter head setup with sediment and carbon block filters. I've been considering adding the UV filter for sometime & it's currently on my list for 2015. I hadn't really considered a flow meter. Did you get your components from the RV Water Store or another source?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #48

Gulf Streamers Club
I grew up on a boat, way before you could buy 'bottled water.' Drank, cooked, washed, and brushed our teeth with the water from our storage tank. In my RV I also use the water for all needs.
Cracks me up, folks that won't drink or use the water from their plastic storage tank, but will drink and use water from a plastic bottle. It seems they have an issue with the size of the container, both are filled from a tap, either at your campsite or at some factory. Taking normal precautions to smell and taste the water before filling tank in a new campground is all the precaution we take --- or my body needs. I've done lots of wilderness camping for long periods of time where you had to treat or process the water you consumed, from a stream, river or lake. Water from a tested well or city system is a no brainer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I grew up on a boat, way before you could buy 'bottled water.' Drank, cooked, washed, and brushed our teeth with the water from our storage tank. In my RV I also use the water for all needs.
Cracks me up, folks that won't drink or use the water from their plastic storage tank, but will drink and use water from a plastic bottle. It seems they have an issue with the size of the container, both are filled from a tap, either at your campsite or at some factory. Taking normal precautions to smell and taste the water before filling tank in a new campground is all the precaution we take --- or my body needs. I've done lots of wilderness camping for long periods of time where you had to treat or process the water you consumed, from a stream, river or lake. Water from a tested well or city system is a no brainer.
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #50

Sometimes I wonder what this world is coming to..

...I grew up when we drank from the end of a garden hose and drank from a cistern that caught rainwater from the tin roof of the house we slept/ate & lived in. We even took a bath with that rainwater, from that cistern on Saturday, whether we needed one or not.......

We even rode around in the back of pickups without seat belts and lived to tell about it.........

Now that I have lived to be 70 I just hope that I enjoy this life as much as I have the first 70 years, so Yes I drink right out of my storage tank and sometimes even from a bottle, with a little scotch to make it sterile.......

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
We always use the on board water. We particle filter, then carbon and then have a drinking water filter at the sink. Five months a year, fourteen years 150,00 + miles, no problems!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
One never knows what is lurking in other's pipes.....
My first inline whole house filter has a clear bowl, so I can see what is going in.......As you can see, the filter(50 micron string) is dirty, and this was at a high end resort. Filter was new and white when we arrived there, this was at the end of a 2 week visit.
Heh. I recognize that pedestal. We own the lot next door. Yeah, HSG has their own well, and while the water is perfectly safe, it does have a lot of sediment in it. I use a 20 micron pleated paper filter before the water softener, but I have to rinse it off every week or so and change it once a month. I get 3-4 months out of the 5 micron sediment and carbon filters that are in the water bay.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #53

My wife likes bottled water. I have a sediment filter going into a water softener, and then into the tank. Coming out of the tank it goes through a carbon filter that also has anti bacterial. I cannot tell the difference in taste from the bottled water to our tank water.

Last spring before I changed the carbon filter the tank water was tasting kinda bad. After new filter huge difference.

When splurging I like bottled water out of a glass bottle. Like Evian, Perrier, or San Pellegrino. But that is a rare thing. I like the lime flavored Perrier. I have taken the Lake Geneva steamboat past Evian France. I would guess that the water passing through that huge mountain is quite pure. Putting it in a plastic bottle just boggles the mind for me. Glass yes, plastic no.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #54

Dasani (PepsiCo I believe) got fined big time when it was discovered using London City tap water in their bottled water in Europe. I buy bottled water in China and in some of the 3rd world garden spots I go-but not in the US.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, #51334. C9 CAT
Old 12-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnut View Post

We even rode around in the back of pickups without seat belts and lived to tell about it.........
Because YOU lived that somehow is relevant. I did the same crap as well but I hardly brag about it or thump my chest...I often wonder HOW I survived being the young, dumb idiot I was way too much of the time.

Back in the 70s when I was a high school student in Arizona the younger sister of one of my friends was bounced out of the back of a pickup and broke her neck...she died of complications before she was 25.

If anyone alive before the seat belt era says they didn't personally know (or know of) someone who died or was seriously injured in an accident due to not wearing a seat belt they either lived in a cave or is not being truthful.

My entire adult life has been spent in or working for the Coast Guard...I guess growing up in a safety culture and having personally saved lives of those that had made bad decisions gives me a little bit of a different take on "the good old days."

Ex-Navy/retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service. Goal: 2016 - Sell our house and begin full-timing. January 2019 - Retire for good from my job and hit the road.
LJSteinmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #56
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
40 years of RV water from the tank, still no side affects. I also drank from the hose today while I washed the coach.

I think the better question is.....who's foolish enough to pay more for bottled water than gasoline.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water