Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #71

Country Coach Owners Club
I do. DW does not.

My internal filter is better than hers?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #72

Reminds me of when I was a kid, just barely old enough to help the neighbor bring in crops and make a little money.

His kid, just a few years younger than me, was in charge of the water when we took a break. He would pump it from an old rusty water pump, into an old rusty tin can with a rusty wire bail on it and would pump fresh water for each working hand, passing around the same same rusty tin can of course. When he got to me, pumped the water into the can, looked at it and said, "Oops, this one has bugs in it!" He proceeded to pour it out, then pump me another tin of water. No dead bugs floating in it this time, so it was OK, and I drank up and it was good!

I think I will survive the next "War of the Worlds" if it happens in my time!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #73

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Up here in the North where we have plenty of fresh snow melt rivers and streams, people still get all wigged out about filtering. It is amazing that any of us survived until we were able to get filtered water. The answer is yes, I do drink the water from my tank. I tend to fill up where I know the water quality is good but other than that I don't worry about it that much. I am going to install an inline filter this spring to deal with those situations where the water might be a little more iffy but considering the billions of people on this planet and the quality of water that most people have to drink compared to us in NA, I feel pretty reassured that the water in the tank is more than safe.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What puzzles me is why one would stack UV on top of RO.
UV + RO are a natural couple. UV works like chlorine -- it kills germs, viruses, etc, but UV is just a strong light, it doesn't filter water.

RO can remove harmful minerals & chemicals.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #75

Gulf Streamers Club
Water is a finite resource. It's been used over and over again since the Earth's formation. The water you're drinking from your single use plastic bottle could have been filtered by the kidneys of the very dinosaur who contributed the carbon to make the plastic. I find the the extreme measures some folks take to ensure their water is tasteless and pure a bit laughable. If our bodies aren't exposed to the occasional impurity we'll never develop the ability to fight them.

"I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it."
- - - W.C. Fields

Remember, Life causes death. It's unavoidable.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #76

Cheap bottled water is tap that has been through a carbon filter, main job is to take out the chlorine. Just have a carbon filter at the sink and refill a reusable bottle - not plastic. Since the FW tank is plastic it also will leach into the water. We really need to stop with the one-use plastic bottles or we'll have to start burying them in our backyards. Seriously, the fish you eat has plastic in them if they are wild.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
This thread is start to look like the "Do you eat at potluck dinners" thread on the other RV forum.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Only time we don't drink water from our tank is when we are Arizona. Find most areas there the water tastes terrible. As a number have mentioned, it's amazing we survived when we were young and didn't have bottled water.

I also find it amazing that people complain about the price of gasoline but never hear a peep about price of bottle water which I believe on a per gallon basis is dang near as expensive.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #79

Ron Goshorn Newbe

I think it's more important to sanitize the water connection . We carry a one quart spray bottle with a mixture of 1/2 cup Clorox and the rest water to spray on the connections before hooking up the water . We have seen peoples dogs pee on the posts that the water hook-up is on and that done it for me. Also we have a carbon filter block for our water as well as a R/O system for our drinking water and Ice maker.
Ron Goshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #80

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goshorn View Post
I think it's more important to sanitize the water connection . We carry a one quart spray bottle with a mixture of 1/2 cup Clorox and the rest water to spray on the connections before hooking up the water . We have seen peoples dogs pee on the posts that the water hook-up is on and that done it for me. Also we have a carbon filter block for our water as well as a R/O system for our drinking water and Ice maker.
And how long do you keep the spray bottle of Clorox and water mix? According to Clorox and other sources it should be thrown out after 24 hours because it has lost it's effectiveness in that time period. Clorox and other chlorine based solutions are derived from sodium hypochlorite, common table salt and water. It changes back to table salt quickly, faster if exposed to sunlight and air.

Biological Safety | FAQ | Environmental Health and Safety | Weill Cornell Medical College

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/sh...ter-solutions/

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #81
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
And how long do you keep the spray bottle of Clorox and water mix? According to Clorox and other sources it should be thrown out after 24 hours because it has lost it's effectiveness in that time period. Clorox and other chlorine based solutions are derived from sodium hypochlorite, common table salt and water. It changes back to table salt quickly, faster if exposed to sunlight and air.

Biological Safety | FAQ | Environmental Health and Safety | Weill Cornell Medical College

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/sh...ter-solutions/

Now Bob, there you go raining on Ron's parade!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #82

Drink only bottled water.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #83

I drink the water and use it for cooking, vegetable washing, and everything else. After sanitizing the tank and lines it's just as clean as the plastic container used to hold the bottled water.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
How long is the unused water in the tank good for? At what point does it need to be drained and refilled?
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water