Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #99

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Unless you cleaned the spigot with soap and water before spraying it with bleach, you didn't sanitize anything.
And if the bleach/water mix was over 24 hours old since mixing it did nothing either. That's what the local health dept says.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
How long is the unused water in the tank good for? At what point does it need to be drained and refilled?
Water will only go bad if something gets into it, and or, something bad grows in it.

I drain mine every winter and refill in the spring. That's about four months freezable time, and that's clean enough for me!

My water hauling tanks are opaque. Use to have problems in sunny AZ with algae and had to pressure clean and bleach them often. Then I painted them to prevent the sun light getting in. Made a big difference and now may clean them once a year, or none. My main 3,000 gal domestic tank is light proof and have had no problem in eight years. And I haul well water and it has no chlorine that I can tell. There may be something else that I'm not aware of though!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #101

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
City water is safe to drink, but varies greatly in taste because of the many and varied chemicals added as necessary. Charcoal filters usually even the taste out. For those of you who shun city water on the road, only buy spring water if you want to avoid the chems in treated water. I have well water at home and the well is hundreds of feet from any possible contamination so I always leave home with a load of water. Now about me personally drinking city water, I have drank water from the tap in Korea, Germany, Saudia Arabia,Japan, Labrador and Ireland and never worry about it.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
I have well water at home and the well is hundreds of feet from any possible contamination . . .
Well water contamination
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #103

As long as it was water we took from home - no problem. Anacortes has one of the top 5 ware quality ratings in the country and we always left home with the tank full - to hell with the weight penalty!

On trips where we had to refill, we were a lot more cautious. We would use CG water to brew coffee and tea, but if we sensed a taste issue we wouldn't refill the potable tank.

Since we're originally from the UK, the only way we drink water is after it's been used to brew coffee or tea. We rarely drink it "raw".
Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #104

I would not hesitate to drink from our FL tank. Besides, its constantly being refilled and drained throughout the season. We always make tea, ice cubes, etc from it. Been doing this for 30 years without any problems. While I can see taking some precautions we never drink bottled water while out in the MH or at home. If you feel better drinking bottled water, go for it. Just don't litter.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #105

Of course we drink water from the onboard fresh water tank, that's what it' for. Ever drink water from a public water fountain? Ever wonder who takes care of the cleaning? Ever hear of anyone being hospitalized from drinking water from either?
I know beyond a doubt who cleaned and sanitized my MH fresh water tank and plumbing, and the last time it happened.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And if the bleach/water mix was over 24 hours old since mixing it did nothing either. That's what the local health dept says.
Isn't that one of the reasons they make Vodka?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do I drink from the rv fresh water tank ? Of course, daily..make coffee too!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I certainly drink from my freshwater tank.

The question kinda reminds me of the RV'er I was talking to that carried a porta-potty with him (setup outside his front door) so he didn't have to use the toilet in his rig. Something about reading that it shouldn't be used...
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #109

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
...Ever drink water from a public water fountain? Ever wonder who takes care of the cleaning?
This is the reason that both me and the DW always ask for our fast food soft drinks without ice. I remember reading years ago about how the soda fountains may be regularly cleaned, but hardly anyone cleans the ice bins on the machines... same in hotels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
The question kinda reminds me of the RV'er I was talking to that carried a porta-potty with him (setup outside his front door) so he didn't have to use the toilet in his rig. Something about reading that it shouldn't be used...
Oh boy... I remember a thread like that around here a couple years ago. One of my favorites replies was where someone said as if not using the onboard potty would increase the resale value.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #110

Gulf Streamers Club
For all the folks who get the heebie jeebies every time a report of contamination or possible cooties in their water tanks --- Why not just yank the water tank, pump, and all the supporting equipment out of your RV? No worries about dirty, dog sprinkled campsite faucets, hoses, filters etc. If we take out the water tank, we can also get rid of the grey tank. Think of the weight savings and storage room it would create? All that space for bottled water storage, although that does reduce the weight storage.
Seems to be enough responses here that don't drink or use the water you wouldn't have too much trouble selling such an RV. I call dibs on getting reimbursed for suggesting this design revolution to the RV industry.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
[QUOTE=DeWat;2364238]This is the reason that both me and the DW always ask for our fast food soft drinks without ice. I remember reading years ago about how the soda fountains may be regularly cleaned, but hardly anyone cleans the ice bins on the machines... same in hotels.

Amen on the ICE. for well over 20 years, The DW and I do not use public ICE> the bucket is usually under the sink or elsewhere and they use it to scoop the bucket through the bulk ice machine and then dump it in the bar sink or dispenser. FILTHY.

One time while at a mall in cherry hill NJ I witnessed an employee take a 50 lb bag of ice from the back freezer and throw in on the floor in front of the ice dispenser at the Mac Donalds. he then stomped on it to break up the frozen parts, reached into the bag with his hands to feel around, stomped it some more and then picked it up and dumped the entire bag in the machine. DIRT FROM THE FLOOR, HIS SHOES ET ALL. DISGUSTING.

we also do not eat sea food or fish. don't ask why it is the only food source not inspected by FDA or USDA
Old 12-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #112

Don't ask for a slice of lemon in your ice tea. I saw a lady cutting them into slices, no gloves, and she wiped her forehead half way through. I mentioned it to the manager and he replied "she was holding it on the outside not inside!"

Read a restaurant menu lately? It was found to be the most contaminated item in the entire restaurant, bar none.

Drink from the water tank I filled and I maintained? You bet.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water