Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
Nope, don't have my first RV anymore. When the kids were tiny we bought a used pop up trailer for 900 bucks. Enjoyed it for 10 years, pulling it with my 4cyl. Volvo station wagon, and sold it for 800. Upgraded to a 24' used pop up for 2400 bucks. Sure was proud of those RVs. Sure did have a lot of good times. Don't have either one anymore.

George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, we bought our first RV 2 years ago and will likely have it for a while. We are not full timers so ours is great for vacations. We didn't even know if we would like RVing when we bought it.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
If you consider a tent, then no, but if we are talking something with wheels, then yes, I am still on my first RV. 12 years and running. At this point, I have so much tied up into it, that I can't afford to sell it. And that was really what the decision came down to when we dropped the 502 in it. Do we jump out, or do we dig in deeper. We dug in deeper. We like the coach, like the versatility of being a little smaller, lighter weight, and not having to worry about the shell leaking. My problem is that for me to purchase something newer, the only thing newer I would ever tolerate is well beyond my means. I shopped for 3 years, before I dove in. Made sure I got what I wanted within the limits of my budget. My parents have a 2004 Allegro that they have said when they are no longer able to drive, they anticipate giving it to me. I will tell you, I have mixed feelings about that, as I'm not sure its a move up. It would be a heavy compromise of my desires.
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
We bought this one several years ago. We like it and would keep it but the upgrades that we thought about doing would cost about what a newer one would be anyway. Besides we are finding more and more places that will only allow newer RV's, some 10 yrs or newer and others are 15 yrs or newer. Besides a little bigger engine is what Thom wants and "A happy husband makes a happy life" or something like that ......
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
We bought our first, a 2003 in 2010. Unlike most of my purchases I researched first and then bought (most of the time I buy and then research). I didn't want to get something and use it a few times only to want to move up. Bought ours with the plan of using it both for pleasure and for work. Ours is, I believe, of sufficient quality (I know it's not Prevost, Bluebird, or Newell) that it will be worth upgrading to suit our needs from time to time.
2003 Country Coach Magna Haven #6190 Cat C-12
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #20

No for us... we are on our 4th. I think it's all relative to the individual. How ofter do you trade in your car? How many times have you changed residences? Some folks like to change it up and others get very comfortable with their surroundings. In the next couple of years we will probably make some changes... downsizing the S&B and increasing the size of the MH.
Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
We just traded in our 1st RV last spring after 12+ wonderful years and over 100,000 miles. We replaced it with a new one of the same make and model. Before we purchased anything we rented several. By the time we were ready to purchase we knew exactly what we wanted. There was no wish we had this or that, or we'll make this one do for a few years.

By renting first we knew what we had to have and what we didn't like. We scoured through brochures from just about every manufacturer in the business. We went to several RV shows and finally settled on a brand we thought we could trust for quality and service.

We spent several weeks lining out the places we wanted to go and what size motorhome would best fit the bill. When we finally made a purchase it was the right one for us for many years.

Buying your last motorhome first sounds like a good idea, but do you really want the same motorhome for 30 or more years. Even the ones that were top of the line when they were built become dated and obsolete. Every manufacturer continually improves on their previous product. If they didn't we'd still be driving model T's and stoking the coal fire in our furnaces.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #22
We searched a long time before buying our first MH (2003 HR Endeavor) 5 years ago. Have since visited many RV shows, but always compare the new ones to ours. Still love ours as much as the day we bought it! Plan to keep it a long time
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
We kept our first coach for 19 years, a 1991 Beaver Marquis.Did all the recommended service and never had a real problem. Put 155000 miles on it and it was still running strong when we sold it to a friend. He's still a friend and has been full time in it for almost a year now and added about 8000 miles to it so far. He just loves it and plans to put at least 200000 more miles on it.

The old Beaver is a good strong well build unit. We miss it, but DW wanted a stacked washer dryer when we decided to go full time. We sure like the increased room we now have with our 45' 4 slide Monaco, but are still correcting 7 years of minimal maintaince the first owner left us with.
Monaco 2004 Signature 45' Castle IV Detroit 60
Towing 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
A wise man told me to buy my last RV first and you will come out money ahead in the long run.... We did.......

2004 Monaco Signature Château 43'
Detroit 60 Series, Vorad Collision Avoidance
2011 Honda CR-V EXL, M&G Brakes
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #25
Bought our DP in 04 and still love it. 85K and have a lot of engine work but will keep it until we quit. Will do some remodel to keep it looking good!
2002 Dutchstar, Spartan Chassis, 350 Cummins, 2012 Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Still have the first one and she is vintage, and so will be the next one. Love the Oldies but Goodies!!!! Shes ready and waiting too go go go
Thanks for asking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883_1.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	994.7 KB
ID:	55131  
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #27

Great advice all. We thought about going in small but the thought of spending 1/3 what we can, them slim fit to depreciation wasn't an option. I'd rather get what we like right off the bat
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #28
Our first RV was a 1977 Overland MH. Since then we have owned 4 other RV's none of which are/were a MH again. Discovered early on that a MH was not our life style then trailers and fifth wheels. This one is 9 years old and probably will be our last unless DW decides that the full time life is much better than owning a house. Oh well, one can always hope

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote