Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #29
Winnebago Owners Club
With the reactions of a 70+ year old, you're way past me by the time I wave. So I waved back, you just missed seeing it.

Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #30
In my many years and millions of miles as a road warrior salesman traveling most of the Eastern half of the US and some of the western states I like to travel the state highways and back road. It was fun in the lower half of the US in rural areas to just have your hand at the top of the steering wheel and just raise your index finger and a little eye contact when you met another vehicle and the almost always waved back.

I worked with a guy with an evil streak back in SW Iowa and he would like to travel the country roads about milking time in the evening and if he saw a farmer with a bucket of milk in each hand he would honk and wave just to see if they would set the buckets down and wave back, and most of the time they would. This was many years ago before automated milkers.

Nowdays to many people are busy texting to look up to see what is happening around them and Darwin weeds them out. Unfortunately they take others with them at times.

2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #31

I only wave on two lane roads, not freeways or multi lane roads. We did about 1,000 miles this last two weeks and had only one RV wave back. I guess a sign of the times.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #32
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
People I rural ND wave all the time. Unless all the transplant oil workers changed that.
This was one of the first things I noticed when I went to ND to drive truck for the harvest season. A refreshing change (it was eastern ND). I started truckin' when I was 21 years old. Most big trucks waved at each other back in the day. Over time I noticed a gradual reduction in the five fingered friendly waves. I started fulltiming over 11 years ago. I have noticed a reduction of RVers waving in that short time also. IMO it is just a reflection of society in general. Thankfully there are exceptions to the majority.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #33
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #34
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I hear ya.

I used to ride a Goldwing too, and unless things have changed, I'll be the Harley riders didn't wave back either.

Most of the time, here in Oklahoma, they will. Sometimes, I don't see another in time. Like on the slab, I'll be on the outside lane with a car beside me. But usually, we all wave.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #35
Here in the UK We tend to FLASH other road users (Our headlights that is HeHe) but I'm surprised that NONE of the Four American RVs I've owned since the early 1990s

have any facility to FLASH Our Headlights other than Turning them On & Off at the switch which by the time You've Done that the other vehicle has disappeared into the

distance, is there a Reason Why there's NO Headlight Flasher on the Indicator Stalk ?

muppet3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anyone wave anymore?

Originally Posted by muppet3074 View Post
Here in the UK We tend to FLASH other road users (Our headlights that is HeHe) but I'm surprised that NONE of the Four American RVs I've owned since the early 1990s

have any facility to FLASH Our Headlights other than Turning them On & Off at the switch which by the time You've Done that the other vehicle has disappeared into the

distance, is there a Reason Why there's NO Headlight Flasher on the Indicator Stalk ?

Mine has a courtesy light button I can click to flash the lights.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #37
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Me Too

On the 2 lanes I always wave if circumstances allow, get some waves back, on the interstate usually too busy watching for nuts!
Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #38
Originally Posted by trode View Post
On the 2 lanes I always wave if circumstances allow, get some waves back, on the interstate usually too busy watching for nuts!
a side note - i run a dash-mounted video recorder for in case a nut cuts me causing a rear-end. it's prepared for unprepared and could save me big in court potentially.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #39
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Hi my name is Les. I stand before you and say "I am a waver". In fact I'm already in the 12 step program for waving.

It all started as a child waving at all the truckers and people my dad passed on the road. Then it graduated to waving at girls. I think this was when it started to get out of control and I recognized I had a bit of a problem. I waved at other bikers when I had a bike however many bikers didn't wave back and I started to get a complex. Once I got a boat, then it seemed like I waved more. My wife often told me she thought I was a bit obsessed.

Once we got the RV though, I found myself almost waving at everyone and everything. If it moved, I waved at it. I would be careful though If my wife was watching, I would try to sneak a wave in whenever I could so as not to raise any alarm.
She could tell when I had been waving heavily by the perspiration marks on my shirt when she did my laundry. I found her starting to watch me when I flinched to see if I was going to wave. She said she thought I needed help. I had now become a closet waver, waving discreetly while wearing disguises. That is till my wife caught me and said "Either it's me or the waving, you make the choice" so, being the smart man, I picked her.
That was 4 years ago now.
After being in the program, I have a lot better control over my waving. My sponsor tells me I'm doing great.
I just wave at RVers now. Other vehicles will pass and My wife will look over at me and we smile at each other knowing I pretty much got this licked. I do have to watch though cause I know I'm always just one wave away from needing help.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #40
Tiffin Owners Club
I confess to being a waver, too. Being a Harley rider, I'll wave at anything on 2 wheels....bicycles included. Who cares if they don't wave back. To me, that's half the fun of wondering if the "return wave" is gonna be there. If it isn't there, I usually yell out "have a blessed day" knowing full well they won't hear me...then just laugh.

Coming into the MH world, I plan on doing the same thing. Doesn't matter if it's the same size, make, year or whatever. Ya gonna get dat wave! If you don't wanna wave back, listen for the yell....

Safe Travels....

"In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." Unknown
Don and Dale (2015 Tiffin 32 SA with 5ST, CHF, Safe-T-Plus and EEZRV TPMS) RVM106
Don and Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #41
I have to admit my wife and I are not wavers, especially on interstates. Its too difficult to see in the approaching lanes (sun glare, tinted windows, distance). I try on two lanes but its not always possible.

Maybe this isn't the place to mention it, but where we notice rudeness, if that's the term, is in campgrounds. Its amazing the number of people who will look in another direction so they don't have to say "Hello."

Unfortunately, its become a sign of the times, yet I have hope the pendulum will soon swing in the other direction.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #42
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm guilty of being a 'non-waver'. Not to be rude, it's just that I've never looked for it. To those I have offended by not waving back, I apologize. It's something I will pay more attention to going forward.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G / 2012 GMC Acadia
Craigls2 is online now   Reply With Quote