Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It could be that a lot of new folks donít know about waving. This is the first that I have read about RV waving. I wave because that is what us motorcyclist and Jeep folks do when passing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #44

American Coach Owners Club
I try to wave at fellow MHs i meet, this is the same for my 2 wheel world people, Mustang and Jeep drivers. Anyone with same interest.

Eric

Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Hi my name is Les. I stand before you and say "I am a waver". In fact I'm already in the 12 step program for waving.
Awesome reply!

I'm a hit and miss waver.
My wife hits me and I miss the wave.

C'est la vie.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I usually give the RV salute - hold your non dominant hand on edge between your eyes
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #47

For a lot of people, me included, I don't like to be the first to wave because I don't like to be left hanging. Also, I don't like to wave back at a higher level than the first guy because that's not cool. I rank Wave Levels as follows:

1. Wave + Honk
2. Honk no wave
3. Wave no Honk
4. Wave + Smile
5. Smile no wave
6. Nod + Smile
7. Nod no Smile

If an on-coming driver gives me a 3 I only give a 3 or 4 but never up it to a 2. I do this for 2 reasons, I don't want to embarrass them because they under acknowledged me and I don't want to waste an underappreciated effort in acknowledging them. I've followed this protocol for many years driving the roads and particularly now that I pull a 5er.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #48

This thread has been fun and also uplifting to read. After long days of driving and all the responsibility of driving these beasts, it means a lot when some one waves. It's kind of an acknowledgement of the trials and freedom that we share. We don't wave on the interstate (I usually can't even see them there), when in traffic, or any place I'm preoccupied (hills, curves, someone passing me, etc...) I usually can't even see them there. The two lane roads are where I still am surprised at so many who don't.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Waving..

I usually always wave to all, especially ones passing me or I'm passing...Here's a little story about waving.

I started driving students around a university campus about two years ago..I began waving to students and especially other staff members walking or driving by my vehicle...At first, some waved kind of inqusitively...Now two years later...almost all wave to me...and most wave before I do....

So, for those who don't wave..." start something new " lol works with smiling too..
Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #50

we wave, but no one waves back
gbstewart
Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #51

I swear I'm not always trying to harp on it, but I only have one arm. I wave when I can but the oncoming coach has to be "wave worthy" for me to take my hand off the wheel and drive with my knee. I grew up on a farm so not waving is not cool. I give a big old arm above the head swaying back and forth wave so they can see through the tint. Then I grab the wheel and pull the coach back off the shoulder or the left lane.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
I swear I'm not always trying to harp on it, but I only have one arm. I wave when I can but the oncoming coach has to be "wave worthy" for me to take my hand off the wheel and drive with my knee. I grew up on a farm so not waving is not cool. I give a big old arm above the head swaying back and forth wave so they can see through the tint. Then I grab the wheel and pull the coach back off the shoulder or the left lane.

Hooky, you get a hall pass on this one!

I'm sure you've got plenty going on. Maybe you should do what I've started doing on Interstates, and that's just to flash my marker lights.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
Just do the "farmer" wave. Hand on the wheel, raise the index finger, and nod your head.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #54

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I still wave! Even if they ignore me
Same here! Most do ignore though. I think its the popularity of RVs now. It used to be more of a common bond kind of thing. Heck, nowadays fellow FMCA members don't even speak to you.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Hooky, you get a hall pass on this one!

I'm sure you've got plenty going on. Maybe you should do what I've started doing on Interstates, and that's just to flash my marker lights.

Rick
I would do the lights thing, except I have to take my hand off the wheel for that one too. Waving is easier and makes me feel better.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #56

I thought flashing the lights mean speed trap ahead. I do this when the law is hiding. 😎