Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does bathroom usually get filtered water?

Do the coach manufacturers usually run unfiltered water to the showers and toilet?
On my Phaeton, the pex tubing is behind a panel, so I can`t see it. But it feels like there is a TEE on the input side of the water filter. Is it common practice to route unfiltered water to the fixtures t hat you normally don't drink from?

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think so, but cannot speak for the way Tiffin does things. In my own coach, every drop of water goes through the filter, regardless of the source (tank or city) or destination.

Most factory RV filter systems don't remove much more than sand and debris (the larger chunks), so drinking vs shower is not very relevant anyway. The filter is mostly just removing stuff that clogs faucets or looks funny.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

Depends on the manufacturer. I've seen older Forest River units with whole house filters.

Then some newer motor homes with only a filter for the filtered water dispenser for the kitchen sink.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may have a whole house filter that you need to change filter at times if water flows slowly and you could also have a filter under kitchen sink for water spigot on sink and would also filter water to a ice maker if you have one.
If you do not have either one can be added.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

If you call Tiffin they should be able to give a definitive answer on how your MH is plumbed.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
If you call Tiffin they should be able to give a definitive answer on how your MH is plumbed.
I have a e-mail into them with this question.
"007" Thank You for the photo. It looked like a lot of work for me to take off the panel on my coach, but I see that you have done it on yours...I might try.

I just fond out that there was no filter cartridge in the filter housing...so I installed one. it is a 10" size. Not other filters under the sink.
Just trying to estimate how soon the cartridge will need replacing.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 10-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #7

Ours filters all water coming into the coach. However, I also have an exterior filter that takes the sand out before it reaches the coach filter. You be surprised how the outside filter cartridge looks after a while.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #8

[QUOTE=dpinvidic;2262464]I have a e-mail into them with this question.

I've found my MH manufacturer more responsive to phone calls than emails. Sometimes there is a fairly long wait to talk to a human but I always get through. If you call, make sure you have your MH VIN number handy so they can identify your MH. They will have all the info on your coach in their data base.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
This comes up every now & again over on http://tiffinrvnetwork.com/ and the usual answer is that Tiffin only filters the cold side of the plumbing. If you have an account over there, you can download one of Ted's ("Cruisingator") pdf files that is an overview of the plumbing system on a 2011 40QTH.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
This comes up every now & again over on http://tiffinrvnetwork.com/ and the usual answer is that Tiffin only filters the cold side of the plumbing. If you have an account over there, you can download one of Ted's ("Cruisingator") pdf files that is an overview of the plumbing system on a 2011 40QTH.
WOW...Thanks for the tip on the other site.
I heard back from Tiffin. Yes, the filter provides filtered water for the entire cold side of the coach. The water heater inlet is tapped off before the filter, so hot water is not filtered.

Regards,

Dan
Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Dan,

We are fulltimers and encounter some pretty funky water at times. We use a 2-stage external filter (with a water softner at times) to deal with campground water. We've replaced the inhouse combo filter with a carbon block filter to eliminate weird tastes as well. The best source for all things RV water is the RV Water Filter Store - https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com.

2+ on the Tiffin RV Network. Best source of all things Tiffin you will find.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Dan,

We are fulltimers and encounter some pretty funky water at times. We use a 2-stage external filter (with a water softner at times) to deal with campground water. We've replaced the inhouse combo filter with a carbon block filter to eliminate weird tastes as well. The best source for all things RV water is the RV Water Filter Store - https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com.

2+ on the Tiffin RV Network. Best source of all things Tiffin you will find.
Thanks Roger....I just ordered a CFB cartridge for the coach, and a Camco sediment filter for hose bib at the camp site.
I plan on a flush in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully the water will be back up to snuff. We also got a 2 gal jug of bottled water for straight drinking.

Dan
Old 10-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 2002 when we ordered our DSDP the whole house filter was an option. It's just a particulate filter and not particularly fine either, in fact it's just string wrapped around the center. We also optioned a U-Line ice maker and there is a "catch everything" filter for it. Then I installed a drinking water spigot at the kitchen sink with a "catch everything" filter
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Dan,

Those little Camco filters will last you about one trip, if you are lucky. Invest in a couple of things for your water system - a pressure regulator, Watts is the preferred brand, and a two cannister holder with one or two particulate filters. You may even want to get a water softner depending on where you like to camp. Campground water is not city water and generally particulates and water pressure are the two big problems.

Your frig also has a water filter, BTW. Easy to plug it if the incomming source isn't well filtered.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water