Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went to Freightliner Camp in June and they said brake lights come on when Jake brake is activated

Jfhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Why don't semi's brake lights come on when they use thier engine brake? Why are diesel Coachs for the public to buy and drive set up to have brake lights with engine brakes???????
Are you sure commercial trucks don't have brake lights on when thier jake/engine brake is on? I've followed some semi trucks down very long steep grades and their brake lights were on almost all he way down. I'm pretty sure they weren't using wheel brakes. Maybe, like Prevost buses, they are easily defeated and that's just what they do.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bago40 View Post
I've had two Freightliner XC chassis coaches and the brake lights are activated by the engine brake. So when you see the light on the dash come on, the brake lights also go on.
My Spartan chassis also activates brake lights when exhaust brake is on.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Are you sure commercial trucks don't have brake lights on when thier jake/engine brake is on? I've followed some semi trucks down very long steep grades and their brake lights were on almost all he way down. I'm pretty sure they weren't using wheel brakes. Maybe, like Prevost buses, they are easily defeated and that's just what they do.
No semi's have this luxury feature that I know of, I drove over the road for a bit and never heard of this till I bought a Coach. As like everything, to each their own and what ever works for one just might for another.......
Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Now I'm not sure. I thought it did, but!!

When I activate my turn signal without applying brakes, I get an audible alarm. When I apply the brakes the alarm quits.

With turn signals on and exhaust brake working, I get no turn signal alarm so I have been "ASSUMING" that the brake lights would be on.

I would think any kind of braking would require some kind of warning to the drivers behind.

Maybe not.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Mine does
Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #49

Brake Lights with engine brake applied

Just followed my friend for a two hundred mile trip through the mountains; he has a 2011 Monaco Diplomat just like mine. When he used his engine break his coach brake lights (all of them) were lighted, but his toad lights only lighted when he applied his coach brakes. At first, I thought his toad lights were not connected until we stopped at a rest stop. He confirmed that my lights acted the same way. I like the idea.
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingene View Post
Just followed my friend for a two hundred mile trip through the mountains; he has a 2011 Monaco Diplomat just like mine. When he used his engine break his coach brake lights (all of them) were lighted, but his toad lights only lighted when he applied his coach brakes. At first, I thought his toad lights were not connected until we stopped at a rest stop. He confirmed that my lights acted the same way. I like the idea.
I suspect most work this way. They do so because they don't want to send a brake activation to your TOAD if you are using brake light activated suppemental brakes. My 99 Prevost conversion works this way too. My last coach, a 08 Beaver Contessa also worked this way.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
It all depends on who did the Toad wiring and how they did it.

I tow a 30 foot trailer most of the time. It has electric brakes. When I use my PacBrake the rear brake lights light up on the coach AND trailer BUT the electric brakes ONLY come on when I step on the service brakes.

The same is true when I am towing my car however I presently don't have a braking system installed because I seldom tow JUST the car.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My brake lights on the coach come on when the engine brake is used. I like it that way because many times I never have to apply the brakes until I almost get to a stop and I want drivers behind me to know that I am stopping. The toad brake lights come on as well when the engine brake is used. However, the toad brakes are only energized when I apply the brakes on the coach.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
On my 2001 and my 2006 coach the retarder did activate the brake lights. Which in turn, turned on the trailer brakes.

I put a one way diode in so the trailer brakes would not activate but the brake lights will still come on. Cost about $20.00.

I have seen trailer brakes smoking pretty good because of this.

Can you give me more information on the diode, where does it go.
I need to make my brake lights not activate with engine brake to save my trailer braked?
Old 06-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #54

Mine does.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Why don't semi's brake lights come on when they use thier engine brake? Why are diesel Coachs for the public to buy and drive set up to have brake lights with engine brakes???????
You have a point but, have you also noticed that when these vehicles are going down a signed incline, they have their 4 way flashers on. This is to alert traffic behind that they are braking.
When I turn on my Exh Brake and take my foot off the accelerator, the brake lights come on but the 4 way flashers will not come on.
All the same thing, right?
P/S, the brake lights on my toad also come on with the Exh Brake but the brakes are ONLY activated by the Patriot when I apply the Coach Service Brake.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #56

I have a Freightliner chassis under a Winnebago Journey. This chassis has a pacbrake. When it is activated, the brake lights come on. I don't mind this when the pacbrake will be used for only a short distance. However, I travel places where the downhill distances are quite long, like Donner Pass in Ca, Colorado, Arizona, and such. Some grades are 20 miles long. I don't like the brake lights to be on this long, as the packbrake will help maintain speed, or slow the coach a bit, but if you need to apply the brakes, you will slow down, but nothing indicates to the vehicles following that there is a change until you suddenly look larger and closer to them.
That said, I complained to a good friend of mine, and he created a circuit to eliminate the steady light when the pacbrake is energized. This adjustable device will illuminate the brake lights on for five seconds, then off for ten seconds. Both the on time and off time can be adjusted to your liking. Anytime the brakes are applied, the brake lights work as normal.
In addition to this circuit, he has developed a circuit the will flash the third brake light anytime the brake lights are illuminated. If interested, inquire about these components through his website below. Open this site, and click on the last link regarding the brake light, and click the link to see a short video clip of these circuit in operation. These items are very reasonably priced.

http://jexler.s3.amazonaws.com/safari/safari.html

Tags
brake, lights