Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #15

My roof is TPO, not rubber, and no white streaks! The TPO is way less slippery than EPDM rubber, as a bonus. I resealed the roof last summer and I was amazed at how good a shape the roof is in! I took a picture...not bad for a 12 year old roof!

If I can find out why my pictures quit showing up, I will post that picture!

Stay tuned.

Tim

Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Regular washing is not an option if you are away from home for months at a time - few RV parks permit that anymore. And without washing first, the floor wax doesn't help any.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
My white fiberglass roof is gel coated, but not painted. The gel coat oxidizes, producing the white powder. When it rains the white powder is carried off the roof, and it runs down the sides of the coach, producing the white streaks.
Jim
Please note that one purpose of the gel coat is UV protection - it's not just to make it white without having to paint. The epoxy resins used in the fiberglass itself break down over time if exposed to UV. The gel coat helps to prevent this. If the gel coat is getting thinner, something else with UV protection must be added to take up the slack. Painting is one option; coating with a UV inhibitor is another.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Please note that one purpose of the gel coat is UV protection - it's not just to make it white without having to paint. The epoxy resins used in the fiberglass itself break down over time if exposed to UV. The gel coat helps to prevent this. If the gel coat is getting thinner, something else with UV protection must be added to take up the slack. Painting is one option; coating with a UV inhibitor is another.
Perhaps this is why Country Coach recommended using the Aerospace Protectant 303 stuff on the unpainted, gel coated roof?

Unfortunately it needs to be re-applied several times a year. Washing the roof first would be required. But mine can be done with a water spray bottle and mop.

Amazon.com: 303 Products 30350 Aerospace Protectant - 32 oz.: Automotive
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post

Gel coat surely does erode. after ten years we decided to change the tape lines on our boat. once we got the tape off, we noticed that there was bright shinny gel coat under the tape and a good definable ridge along the line of the tape. Gel coat had eroded significantly on exposed areas.

Same thing on our MH. both on the top and sides. Gel coat is not waterproof incidentally. that is the cause behind blisters on boat bottoms, We still use an acrylic floor polish to seal the roof but will consider a paint product but that is also costly.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Gel coat oxidizes, which means the surface erodes. Ever look at an older fiberglass boat that has lived in the sun? That dull surface is the eroded (oxidized) gel coat.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #21

Longweekends
Short answer: yes.
Eventually we want to roll a coating such as Dicor on our roof, but that takes prep work and time under some type of roof for drying. For now the Mop & Glo works for a few months depending on sun or trees, etc the coach is under. I cleaned the roof with a powder cleanser and it worked great to clean the roof, but allowed soap and grit from the cleanser to fall down the sides and had to work and spray to avoid scratching paint to get rid of the stuff on sides. Since I use Protect All as a wax and like it, I bought a big jug of Protect All Black Streak & Degreaser and used a bristle brush to clean the roof and it also worked well and did not put grit on the sides. While you need to avoid letting the Mop & Glo streak over and down the sides, the Protect All S&D won't cause streaks down the sides. Then I bought a big jug of Protect All RV wash that claims it can be used with little water. I don't care about water use, but it apparently softens the sudsy water so there is little 'beading' of water leaving water spots when the coach dries. We have a good bit of black paint on our coach and the water spots were very obvious on the black paint. Hope this helps.