Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to kirkcrawford
Does my rubber roof need help?

Here is what my rubber roof on my 2000 Bounder looks like:

As you can see most of the white chalky stuff has already washed down my windshield etc. Do I need to recover it with something to make it last longer? I have no known leaks at this point.

-Kirk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to a few past threads on roof re coating.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Rubbe...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, mine looked very similar. I cleaned and scrubbed it down, removed excessive caulk at various points, re-caulked and Eternabond tape on some seams, then used Dicor primer/cleaner and applied two coats of EDPM rubber roof coating.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #4

That is a sunbaked mess.
Before you start look very closely at the points where the rubber roof is secured around the edges and all openings , your looking for shrinkage, where the material has pulled back from the places where it is secured to the walls of the coach, some times this shrinkage can pull the sealant appart, and tear the roof out from the screws holding it in place. If you have shrinkage then it's time for a new roof . If no shrinkage you can try the Dicor 2 part roof system to get it back in shape.
Others here in the forums swear by Earthbond ( not sure of the spelling )but I am sure others will be posting soon.
Note to self , learn to type faster...
Old 04-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most definately needs help!!!! My rv dealer I bought coach from just sealed my rubber roof with Kool Seal Top Coat. Used 2 1/2 gallons. My roof wasn't as bad as yours appears to be in the pictures. Most people say that it should be sealed about every 5 years. Some people buy a sealer at lowes or home depot that is made for rubber rv roofs and it is only about $75 for 5 gallons. Kool Seal was about $65 per gallon. Next time I am going to do it myself and get it from Lowes. The white stuff running down your windshield and a portion of your front side windows is coming from your front fiberglass cap. You can cover that with clear spray paint and it will stop. Good luck. Hope all you have to do is get a brush and paint roller and roll and brush it on good around the side, front and rear seams, ac, vents and fan areas.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #6

I coated my EPDM roof with an EPDM product https://www.capitalonecardservice.com/ecare/loginform?&locale=en_US&brand=GM_000_000
Their Rubber Roof product went on and worked well. Extending the life of the roof is worth a lot.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to kirkcrawford
I believe this is the Lowes product.
I will probably get it soon.
Shop Gardner 4.75-Gallon Elastomeric Roof Coating at Lowes.com

$75.70 for 4.75 gallons
Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Most people say that it should be sealed about every 5 years.
5 years! Forgive me, but that's preposterous! The EPDM material itself is warrantied for 10 years (both major brands, Dicor or Alpha) and often lasts 15 in normal use. In between it should only need routine cleaning and an annual touch up of the caulked seams. TPO and fiberglass roofs should do at least as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkcrawford View Post
I believe this is the Lowes product.
I will probably get it soon.
Shop Gardner 4.75-Gallon Elastomeric Roof Coating at Lowes.com

$75.70 for 4.75 gallons
That product from Lowes says nothing about using it over an EDPM roof. It says 'tile, Built Up Roof (BUR), metal, mobile/rave, (?) and gravel roofs.

An EDPM roof (ethylene propylene diene monomer) is a synthetic rubber membrane. The proper coating requires a cleaner / primer that allows the EDPM acrylic coating to better bond to the rubber. I'd be very hesitant to use the Lowes product seeing that it's for metal or gravel roofs. It could react with and destroy the EDPM membrane, a costly mistake. It also talks about how it forms a thick 'high hide' coating. It says it's flexible, but if it flexes at a different rate than EDPM it won't adhere properly and you'll have a fine mess.
The Lowes coating is only $16 a gallon, a gallon of exterior paint is $30. That to me indicates an inferior product. It's up to you of course, I know Dicor EDPM roof coating is upwards of $60 a gallon, but a new membrane, 8'6" X 30' is about $560 plus adhesives, labor, etc.

JMHO.

Bob

Bob & Donna
Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
5 years! Forgive me, but that's preposterous! The EPDM material itself is warrantied for 10 years (both major brands, Dicor or Alpha) and often lasts 15 in normal use. In between it should only need routine cleaning and an annual touch up of the caulked seams. TPO and fiberglass roofs should do at least as well.
If not resealed every 5 years, as some suggest, I don't want to spend $5,000 to $8,000 to redo my rubber roof at the 10 to 15 years you stated. My coach is now 14 years old and I would prefer to continue to recoat it as opposed to replacing. Just my $.02
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #11

I don't know if I should just keep using the self leveling sealer or if I should just use the ethernabond (not sure about the spelling) tape I have two rolls of the wide one but I think that I should have got the one that needs to be painted because it is Easier to use and softer, any ideas about this?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
The only 'self-leveling sealant' I know of is caulking, used for seams and around roof piercings. It's up to you to decide whether to use caulk or EternaBond tape, although the EternaBond tape recommends using self-leveling caulk at the leading edges of the tape to keep it sealed.
I scraped off multiple layers of self leveling caulk rather than apply more caulk over the old cracked applications. Made a much neater job and I'm more confident it is sealed properly. I used the EternaBond tape on the connection of the front and rear end caps and the EDPM roof.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Fan View Post
If not resealed every 5 years, as some suggest, I don't want to spend $5,000 to $8,000 to redo my rubber roof at the 10 to 15 years you stated. My coach is now 14 years old and I would prefer to continue to recoat it as opposed to replacing. Just my $.02
I'm not sure who these folks are who you say are recommending to re-coat the roof every five years, but that's ridiculous. I guess if you insist on using koolseal or some knock-off from lowe's then it may be necessary, but using a product designed for EPDM roofs should not need to be repeated for 10 to 15 years. My 16 year old roof was recovered with Liquid Roof last year and looks brand new. Liquid Roof is actually a liquid EPDM and actually bonds with the original, not just covering it.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Once the top layer is deteriorated, you need to fix it promptly because the black rubber will split open from the elements in no time. I redid my roof with Liquid Rubber last year about this time and I am very pleased with the results.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof