Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
bobmac: BTW, I genuinely appreciate your guidance. Many Thanks! \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ken:
Both the multi stage charger and the MPPT Solar controller make their decisions as to what charge state the batteries are at by the voltage they see on the battery terminal. My Dimensions Inverter/Charge has factory defined voltages to move from bulk to float. Likewise, my solar controller has user definable threshold voltages for the bulk and float modes. These voltages are set as a function of battery type and the Dimensions unit (6+year old design) on battery capacity as well.
I doubt the Dimensions threshold voltages align 100% with the Solar Controller but they should be pretty close. There is no need to disable solar charging when the AC charger is active as it also provides enough current to meet demands from your coach. When it is in float mode, the solar controller theoretically should not see the need to provide power unless it has a higher voltage setting which would likely be a fraction of a volt. Bottom line, either one or together when you are connected to shore power, will keep the batteries fully charged.
In terms of current flow back flow into either device, both devices have blocking diodes to prevent this. I'm sure you have never had any issues with the battery self discharging into your charger - likewise, you won't have it with the solar charge controller.
My original point was that there was really no need to have a 110volt tickle charger connected to the battery with solar as the solar will keep it fully topped up over time.
You should have a great setup with 600 watts of solar. We camped for 8 days with just 200 watts and a daily 1-2hour generator run. Unfortunately, I have run out of roof top real estate but would add more if I could.
Good luck,

bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
bobmac: You are right ... I've never lost my batteries to current backflow into the charger. I guess I didn't know that there were diodes in both devices (CC and charger) to control that. I thank you. My pocketbook thanks you. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #18

I had a problem with my factory installed converter sensing 110 when the inverter was operating. It would set up a loop that drained ny batteries. I put in a switch to cure that. I also disconnet the inverter when I use shore power. I was told that the 110 it generated and shore 110 would be out of phase and this would cause all the magic smoke to be released from the inverter. So far, so good.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Halfwright:
Most of the RV combined charger/inverters, have a transfer switch built in to the inverter to disconnect the inverter feed to outlets and transfer it to the incoming AC when AC is available from either shore power or the generator. Effectively, that eliminates the problem you have described.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #20

I wired the inverter into the outlets at the fuse box. It feeds all the outlets. I just have to remember to turn the Morningstar inverter off when on shore power.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
my solar panel was at first hooked directly to my RV house battery. I soon found that the battery would get drained at night. So I installed an inexpensive controller inline between the battery and the solar panel.
This is key for anyone DIY. Solar panels can work bi-directionally and drain your battery bank at night with reverse flow. Some/most newer solar panels have a built in diode which is a one-way check-valve for electrons so that the panel can only charge the battery but current/electrons cannot flow from the battery to solar panel. You can test this with a multi-meter and should if you have a small (50-watt or less) 12v panel. For such a small watt panel a charge controller isn't going to do much for you if you don't need a diode. If all you need is a diode they can be had for about a dime if that's all you need (though you'll need to spend $0.99 for 10 with Free Shipping via eBay).

If you have multiple panels, or more than 50-watts a charge controller is a very good choice.

Tags
power, solar