Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #15

Originally Posted by wingennis View Post
I am no one's DW bit I do drive my own 36' Monaco Diplomat
Amen. I drive a 38' Mountain Aire towing a Cutlass Vert on a dolly. Have never figured out why alot of women don't drive their RV's.

1996 Newmar Mountain Aire. 3760 CA
2006 to 2015 Boxer named Cash (aka Cassius Clay)
2016 - Boxer named Chevy
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
DW drives our 36" Expedition flat towing a 4 door jeep wrangler. Back when I was working she would drive it to Florida and I would fly down to maximize our vacation time.
What does the D stand for in the posts using DH and DW?

tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What does the D stand for in the posts using DH and DW?
Dear.........of course
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My DW is ready, willing and excited to learn and I'm confident she will do fine. It will be nice to have a backup in case one is needed. Will start her "training" in a few weeks and we'll make short runs and parking scenarios to build her confidence and mine.

And yes, she does do the stinky slinky.
2008 Dutchmen 31F, E450, 6.8 V10, Blue Ox, ReadyBrake - 2013 Honda Fit Toad
hosenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #19
we have a 2005 coachman 36 ft santara dw drives it all the time. she has been using it by herself more then we do together. she goes to horse shows and pulls a 2 horse trailer. when we do go together I always drive she makes me nervous . i don't like being in the passenger seat.
ebkstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
My BH has drove all my trucks, 5'rs, TT's, and our previous 36ft coach. We purchased a 40ft. coach and she took the "drivers training course", but was hesitant to set in the captains chair, until this summer when we were on our way to Tennessee. I was a little tired so she said she would try it. I was surprised how she got right down to wheeling the "big rig" down the road. I set back and fell asleep a few minutes. When I awoke she had entered a single lane construction zone and had traffic backed up a long ways, as she was going about 5mph and looking for a turn off. when shefound one, she didn't even hardly get off the highway and stopped right there and told me she was goihg no further and I was to take over, "KNOW". That was all she wanted of driving our coach.
senior-cit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #21

My wife has driven the 39+ motor home for a good number of miles since we bought it in 2010. We have a toad. We both took an excellent driving course in Branson when we got it.

She does an excellent job in all areas of MH operation; driving, directing, set up, tear down. She always does the stinky slinky and the hook-ups.

My job is to say "yes dear".
2011 Coachmen SportsCoach
Living Our Dream One Mile at a Time
Steve & Mary Ann (RVM5 & 5A)
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #22
My DW says if something happens to me when we're on the road she will call one of our sons to come get her and the MH she ain't gona drive with me in the passenger seat in any car/truck/MH anyhow........

Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
So are you and my wife related?
I once asked her "if I was to suddenly keel over and die, what would you do with the coach?" trying to get her to at least try and drive it. Her answer was "sell it on the spot"!
Actually, I have no qualms about driving. However, I would have to use a crowbar to get my hubby out of the driver's seat. It just suits us for him to drive and me to nag. We know what we are good at.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Actually, I have no qualms about driving. However, I would have to use a crowbar to get my hubby out of the driver's seat. It just suits us for him to drive and me to nag. We know what we are good at.
That's exactly like Tallulah feels. She's a self proclaimed Nagravator

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Absolutely !! And I coached her and encouraged her to do so . I drive semi for a living and do most of the tight maneuvering but .. My personal belief is most men are unable to relax and shut the heck up harping on every mistake because unless they are " in in charge "they aren't happy so the " little woman " would rather not deal with hubby's " problem" I team drove for four years and had the same problem .. Some guys couldn't sleep while the co driver was at the wheel and these were two guys! Driving a coach is no different and easy with a little practice . I enjoy not having to drive all the time . I've driven too much .. Million miles and more at work .. I get to look at the scenery use the restroom get something to drink etc BUT I don't harp or criticize her driving .:-) so guys just shut up .. Give her a wide open freeway to learn on .... not some tight spot or problem and take a nap and learn to relax!
2003 Beaver Marquis

BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #26
My DW took a half day course from RV Driving School and now drives about 1/3 of all our miles. Since we drive ~350-400 miles a day that means she typically drives 100-125 miles at a stretch. Usually I start the day and she drives the middle third; quite a help to me.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
When I asked my DW if she'd like to drive, her answer was, "That's not only 'no', it's HELL NO!!!!"

She is happy to offer suggestions to me along the way. Most of those are along the lines of, "SLOW DOWN!!!!"

Every now and then, I hear one of those suggestions. By then I've usually engaged some sort of decelerative device.

We've agreed on an acceptable division of labor; driving is in my division.

Take care,
"A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the demonstration of his superior skills."
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #28
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I prefer to do my driving from the passenger seat.
So does my DW!

Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My wife does all of the coach driving. All I do is turn the steering wheel this way or that way and either speed up or slow down as directed.
That's how It's done in our coach as well!

One last question though, how many wives have their Air Endorsement for Air Brakes?

Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote