Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #29
National RV Owners Club
We need to have our wives or girl frinds help us drive.

My wife and I Share the driving of our 36' Dolphin Motor Home with a Saturn in toe.
We took a trip from the Bay Area in California to New York up to Main and down to Florida and back home it took 6 month.
In the beginning when we first bought the Motor Home it was new to the both of us.
I drove it to a large Industrial parking lot on a Sunday when their were no cars in the lot.
Thats where my Wife learned to drive the M.H. now when we go South to Palm Spring I drive half way then she drive the rest of the way.The same thing when we leave to come home, she drives back to where we switch on the way down then I take over.
But when we get to the park if I am driving she will take over and park it for me, I guide her while she drives it back into the space.
I could not do it with out her.
Just a thought.

Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #30
Originally Posted by Lincolnut View Post
My DW says if something happens to me when we're on the road she will call one of our sons to come get her and the MH she ain't gona drive with me in the passenger seat in any car/truck/MH anyhow........

My wife is the same way ,Will call either my brother or hers.I 'm confident in the fact that she is more than capable of driving the coach but she simply has not interest in driving it.

96bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Been watching the thread about the wife dumping the tanks......
Wow ...I missed that one ...although my DW has observed many times, I would be shocked if she actually went to do it herself. And she has made it pretty clear she is not interested in driving our coach. I have got her to press the brake pedal to help me troubleshoot toad light issues, but that's as close as she has come.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our last coach was a 2006 35 ' super c. When we traded it last summer it had almost 90,000 miles on it and I bet my wife drove three quarters of those miles with a 20' enclosed trailer behind it with extended tongue. She put that 60' rig down the highway at a high rate of speed with her hair on fire trying to make it to whatever race she was dragging the kids to. When Im with her I usually drive through the night and she takes over in the morning. I am fine when Im in the passenger seat but I find it hard to sleep when she is driving. She's handling the new A class just fine but finds it a bit intimidating. I do most of the backing when parking our rig in tight quarters at a race track. When she shows up at a track by herself there is usually plenty of folks willing to help back the rig into a spot if necessary.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
-------- You guys get it right ?? They could easily learn to drive it .... Just not with you in it at the same time! ie .. your attitude is the problem !! LOL
2003 Beaver Marquis

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #34
Fleetwood Owners Club
DW drives 40 footer with toad. She prefers I drive through large towns which can be planned for and construction areas which sometimes pop up unexpectedly and she pushes on through. I do most all backing if a pull thru is not available.

The two problems she has is staying in the middle of her lane and driving economically, she's a lead food and mpg's drop.
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #35
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
I am always puzzled by these type of posts. I have no problem riding behind the wife on our Spyder, or riding while she pilots our 35K. I even had a female driver for awhile on my HWMMV in Iraq. I think the willingness to drive or ride is determined more by one's personality and confidence than the presence or absence of a Y chromosome.
+1, always puzzled too.

My particular DW has driven all sorts of stuff, busses, heavy equipment for her Dad's construction company, etc etc. I'd trust her driving ANYTHING.
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #36
We were camped at Lazy Days in Tucson a couple of years ago, when the wife took a complimentary RV Driver Confidence Course. Till then she had only done very little driving of our MH. She took the course in a DP and had a ball. It included a half day classroom and then a driving session. She now has the confidence and has done quite a bit of the driving and most of the parking. The best part of the course was she fell in love with big diesel pushers, so next spring we traded up from our gasser.
Probably any of our wives could handle the drive and other tasks. It is just a matter of their desire and the confidence.
2007 Damon Tuscany 4072
Brian & Wendy
Lloydminster Alberta
ARollingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #37
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
My wife keeps threatening to drive but every time I offer the wheel, she says "No thanks, I'm Good!"

As for her emptying the black tanks.....Ya Right!

I'd be buying a new coach every time the black tank got full! LOL
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #38
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm puzzled by the question as well. My wife has wanted to drive since we bought the coach, but was prevented by medical/vision issues that prevented any driving. Things are better now, and through several sessions over the past couple of weeks I taught her what she needed. Two days ago (on Friday) she received her TX Class B. Tomorrow is her leg- she's PIC Austin to Dallas.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #39
Newmar Owners Club
My wife started driving our first coach in 1986 Winnibago Brave 26 ft we towed a 27 ft ski boat. She needed to drive after a weekend of boating, because I had a adult beverage or two. She drives our 40 ft Dutch Star with a Buick Enclave in tow. I drive most of the time but she does a good driving.
Dale and Rita
2002 Newmar Dutch Star 4095, tow car 2008 Buick Enclave CLX
Dale Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #40
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, 65' with truck in tow.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #41
Monaco Owners Club
My wife will drive our toad under protest.
Last time she drove we were on our way to a new storage facility and following our gps.
It got us to a dead end. Disconnect
DW just follow me- sounds easy
She follows 100s of yards behind - drives me nuts.
Misses traffic lights - bla bla bla Waited 15 minutes in the 5 miles to the storage facility.
If she were to drive the coach I think our daily average speed would drop to under 20 mph
I love my DW BUT there are some things that just aren't worth attempting.
I can't cook or sow!!!!
Great combos, a man and a woman
Glad most of us find a good balance.
2005 Monaco Signature Castle 1V
2013 Subaru Outback Toad
SteveSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wife does a great job driving our 40' Newmar. No issues here. Great pilot and a very good driver...

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote