Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Hubby and I share the driving. I loooove to drive our 40-foot Class A plus toad. The engine is a dream and she rides very comfortably. I learned on my own on the road.

Just like the dumping question, this is something I wanted to learn right off the bat. It's come in handy many times already, for example when hubby did his back in a few years ago I had to handle everything on the coach for several months. Or, when hubby's mom had a medical issue and he had to fly home on emergency I had to dump, move and back-in to a new site on my own. Sharing the tasks means we don't have to cut our travels short or end up in a difficult situation where we can't move.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What is the TX Class B? So is there licenses for air brakes or weight class?
tmw..... Texas, like several other states, licenses drivers of larger vehicles based on vehicle weight and/or trailer weight. States I have heard of are pretty consistent in their requirements. The cutoffs are 26000lbs GVWR and/or 10000lbs trailer weight.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
She could handle it in an emergency, but since she dozed off at the wheel in our car coming back from Chicago, I do all the driving. I was doing some paperwork and was unaware that she was nodding off until she hit the rumble strips.
So that's what they call them in your area. I grew up down south and we call them "driving by braille". DW has logged many brailles.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #60

My wifey learned the old fashioned way...while at the campground! I told her what to do and what NOT to do, and it's been down hill ever since, she's a natural. I explained the weight to braking distance while moving at 65mph (her behind the wheel of course), and she handles it (36' with a toad on a dolly behind) like it was a sports car! She rocks! Now if I can just get the brats to sleep, I'll nap while she drives!
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My wife does all of the coach driving. All I do is turn the steering wheel this way or that way and either speed up or slow down as directed.
That is so funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What is the TX Class B? So is there licenses for air brakes or weight class?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
tmw..... Texas, like several other states, licenses drivers of larger vehicles based on vehicle weight and/or trailer weight. States I have heard of are pretty consistent in their requirements. The cutoffs are 26000lbs GVWR and/or 10000lbs trailer weight.
there are just about as many states who require a higher class licenses as there are states that require nothing more that a standard operator licenses.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
My wife started driving our 35 ft Adventure, then the 40; then the 45 beaver, all with tow veh. now we are back to 37' Suncruiser. We share driving which lets me read paper books etc. She did take class at Lazyday when we bought first one and has continued since. It is the only way to go. When we arrive, I take care of outside, she get jacks, down ,slides out and lunch ready. She does prefer that i back it in but will do it ,if I promise not to yell LOL. Not only does it make for a more relaxing trip but in case of emergency, she know how to get it home.
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Another reason I drive is that I can go for 4-5 hrs. without using the "head", not so the wife. We would be stopping every 1 1/2 hrs.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting thread! Way back in 2004 we borrowed a friend's Winnebago Brave 32 and went from CA to GA. DH was driving a bus at that time so he was very comfortable driving it. He was nervous about letting me drive but wanted to feel that I could. We got off on Rt. 66 somewhere isolated, and I think I got a whole 17 mi behind the wheel!
On the trip back I drove a fairly long long stretch between NE and Utah and white knuckled an exit into SLC so we could switch. When we get our own it will be much different...I want to take an RV driving course and do lots of practice backing up, etc. DH is much more comfortable driving and that leaves me free to knit and work on scapbooks, so that will continue to be the norm. And yes, I will empty tanks!
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #65
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
She cleans the steering wheel. Does that count?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
My sweetie did drive with the MH and will with the truck and 5er.... but prefers not to, she says the 5er is more intimidating
(even though it's 10k lbs lighter but it is longer !)

I was tired one day and since we were on I-55's wide interstate she said she would drive... swapped at a exit and I'm not kidding,
the NEXT exit they had a detour and we had to go on secondary streets with TONS of traffic... no place to stop and swap on the country 2 lane !!! She did fine, but was NOT happy with me
Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting thread...I instruct for RV Driving School and find that women are usually the better students. Maybe because they listen better. All "men" can paddle a canoe right? So it just follows that they can drive a big rig. In any case the ladies do seem to make more progress in two days than men, considering both are equally inexperienced in a large coach. Younger, Grannies, Great Grannies it is all pretty much the same results. JMHO...but true.

You go girls!!!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
I don't drive all that much anymore, Thom does all right now. The doctor has not taken away my lic and I want to keep it that way. I will drive in an emergency and I told Thom that while I find it amusing that he's willing to "teach" me to drive the RV that I would rather take the course and learn without him there. I told him no offense to him but I get more nervous with him getting upset over me not going fast enough or not being in the lane he thinks I should be in instead of where I feel comfortable. And even when I do take the course it will still be mostly in an emergency situation with medical things right now for me.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #69

my wife always drives the rig. Class C, class A , trailer behind the silverado. even drove the class A thru Atlanta. We intended to switch, but the by-pass came up suddenly, and no place to pull over, so she just kept on truckin.... She is my best friend and partner for 32 years now,..
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Going to deviate a bit from the op's original topic, but it's not often that I find myself in some one else's shoes, in that I have also been with my best friend and partner for many years. Life has been good!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote