Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
..... I was gasping and holding on to the passenger seat arms with a grasp that made marks in the leather. He kept telling me to stop gasping and whimpering. I could not because I was terrified at how close I felt to the edge of the road...(I have since learned that the passenger often feels that way...).....
What a great story! And.... it touches close to home for me. For the past year and a half I've listened to my wife at times gasping and squealing from the right seat, and at times it was very aggravating. All this time she was unable to drive herself for medical reasons. These issues are now resolved, and I recently served as her mentor as she practiced for many hours, and then received her Texas license.

This has been my first experience riding in the passenger seat of our MH, and I was shocked at how frightening the picture can be until you learn where the edges really are - and sometimes even when you do know. Many times I was convinced we were about to buy several mailboxes, until I leaned slightly to my left to catch the convex mirror view, and realized that she was, in fact, safely about 6-9 inches inside the margin line. When you're driving an 8-1/2ft bus down a 10ft lane, that's all you've got-- about 9 inches on each side.

Just as when I was driving and she was nervous, she was driving, I was nervous, but she was doing fine. It was an education for me.

Today she drove her first full leg, from Austin to Dallas, and she'll take half duty from now on.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #86

My wife was terrified to take the wheel and only finally agreed to try it for a few miles between rest areas on the interstate. Since that, she actually enjoys driving it and wants to learn to drive around town and backup etc. For some reason she loves to ride the left line. I even tactfully mentioned that the left convex mirror was very useful to see how close to the line one is driving. I just don't look anymore....

Old 01-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Oh Boy....You opened a huge can of worms...!!!! Yes, This wife drives and loves it... A few years ago after seeing my hubby drifting a bit too much on the road...(well maybe it was my imagination, but he was way too close to the guard rail for the 100'th time), I was gasping and holding on to the passenger seat arms with a grasp that made marks in the leather. He kept telling me to stop gasping and whimpering. I could not because I was terrified at how close I felt to the edge of the road...(I have since learned that the passenger often feels that way...)...but I digress..... After one squeal too many from me...Hubby pulled over and threw the keys at me.... He told me that he was through hearing me complaining about his driving and if I wanted to get home that I had better get in the driver's seat. I was stunned and sputtered that I had never driven such a large vehicle (at that time it was a 38 foot gasser)...but I accepted the challenge because I was tired of feeling afraid of his diminishing ability. I jumped into the driver's seat and have never felt afraid again!!!! I love driving the RV. We now have a 40 foot dp and I "drag" a CRV behind us. But very fortunately, I know how to drive it and I know how to set it up and break it down. My beloved, cranky Hubby is now handicapped and cannot do the simple tasks that he was previously able to do. But we can get on the road because that old cranky man once threw the keys at me and challenged me to do it better than him. I love him and I want to spend the rest of our lives traveling the country in this lovely "tin-can" so I am very happy to be able to drive the RV. Do I ever have some scary moments or some trepidation about a particular route...??? You bet I do!!! But I do the best that I can. I am probably more cautious than most but I don't want to try to stop and unhook the toad and back up because I took a wrong turn. But hubby and I will continue to travel together with our two furry four legged kids and hopefully enjoy many more days and years together. Every rally or campground we stop at, I encourage women to learn to drive the RV. They may have to do so in an emergency, but if they learn to drive, they can assist their hubbies and maybe have a more pleasant trip with many hands making light work.... I do all of the driving, the set-up, the break-down, the holding tank dumps and light maintenance...(I gas it up, check the oil and my tire pressure). And Hubby is able to relax and hand me his credit card...LOL!!! To all women....try driving the rig...you may love it!!!! Just my 2 cents worth...and my humble opinion... Faith in Chilly Massachusetts
You give us all a good name!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Yes my DW drives some of the time. We have a 38' gasser and tow Frontier pickup 4 down. For reasonably short day trios I drive. On long distant/ multi- day trips she will drive a few hours in relief. Must be good weather, and an interstate highway. And a few hours break is relaxing for me.

When it is time to park, if it is a back in we switch, she backs. Early on I would back while she attempted to give directions, big communications issues. We found it was easier for me to get out, survey the area, and give verbal directions to her. Very, very specific directions.....:-). Calmly
Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Wow that is a moving story and I am going to have my DW read it. I'm going to have to say You Go Girl!
Good for you Faith what a nice story !
Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nope, wife won't drive

Wife has no desire to drive, and I won't force the issue. To her, it is just too big, and her comfort level is more important than getting somewhere faster. After all, that is why we have RV's right, comfort and serenity.
jimroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #91

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, this 'wife' drives. Told DH when we got our gasser in '04 that I wanted to learn -- in case of an emergency. '07 we upped to 39' + DP (see sig). even helped drive out West to Grand Canyon and back.

Add KarKaddy and Honda Civic...Drove 1400+ from IN to TX winter destination. No biggie. Makes me feel good that I can, if need be, drive him if he gets too sick to drive.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #92

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My DW has driven our 39 footer with a Jeep toad. No problems & felt okay when she did drive it. I do most of the driving, but we thought she needs to be comfortable driving, in case of an emergency.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
my wife drives our 40' like a boss!

Down Hill, steep grades, at night, engine brake, tiny lanes, tractor trailers, tight curves, parking, anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	54464  
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRT2 View Post
Yes, this 'wife' drives. Told DH when we got our gasser in '04 that I wanted to learn -- in case of an emergency. '07 we upped to 39' + DP (see sig). even helped drive out West to Grand Canyon and back.

Add KarKaddy and Honda Civic...Drove 1400+ from IN to TX winter destination. No biggie. Makes me feel good that I can, if need be, drive him if he gets too sick to drive.
And let's not forget sharing drive time. My wife and I switch off every couple of hours.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #95

My wife took off this morning in our 2014 Entegra 42'. I'll meet her tonight when I get off work. She drives as much if not more than I do. She's not afraid at all.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Attachment 54490