Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Does the wife drive the Coach?

Been watching the thread about the wife dumping the tanks........well, I want to hear from those who's wife drives their Coach.......and how long is it, towing a TOAD or trailer..........did she go to a class, or did you teach her???? And after driving it a couple of times.......Did she Quit! My DW will not drive, she says she enjoys riding in the ultimate limousine......and wants to be shofered around the USA..........
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not a chance, she won't even drive a car if I'm going with her.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wiife has not driven our coach but I'm sure she would be able t if she had too. Since her accident years ago she even limits her time driving the car. Back in the day she used to drive her dads semi so I'm confident if she needed to she could drive the coach.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

we have a 2007 hurricane 34n and tow a mini and yes my wife drives.We have a state park camp ground aprox 50 miles away,with aprox 400 sites,it closed from nov. to may they do not gate it,perfect for practice and parking.After a couple hrs. there she was backing into sites and drove home,it's always good to have a back up driver.

good luck
Rick
rick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am always puzzled by these type of posts. I have no problem riding behind the wife on our Spyder, or riding while she pilots our 35K. I even had a female driver for awhile on my HWMMV in Iraq. I think the willingness to drive or ride is determined more by one's personality and confidence than the presence or absence of a Y chromosome.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Been watching the thread about the wife dumping the tanks........well, I want to hear from those who's wife drives their Coach.......and how long is it, towing a TOAD or trailer..........did she go to a class, or did you teach her???? And after driving it a couple of times.......Did she Quit! My DW will not drive, she says she enjoys riding in the ultimate limousine......and wants to be shofered around the USA..........
Mine took the 40 foot Fleetwood, towing a car, solo to dog shows twice.

The Beaver -- she picked it out and arranged the trade-in-- is too complicated, or she is too lazy to figure out the tag axle, lower clearance, dual mode suspension, etc. Plus, she won't take the time to get her Class B license. So, I do all the driving now, except for some stretches on open interstate.

One of my airline pilot buddies is a female with a 45 foot Country Coach, she and her husband split the driving evenly. Another pilot buddy met a fellow 787 instructor pilot in Singapore, they began dating. She laid down the law immediately, explaining to him that she owned a new 45' DP and any man with whom she got serious would have to learn enough to share driving and maintenance chores. How's that for a new twist?

The writing seems to be on the wall, that tomorrow's woman is a fully-functional adult with a more attractive exterior; but, all the same skills and sense. I'm happy to say that the women I know are moving in that direction.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
No way, no how. I got her to pull the class forward on to the leveling blocks once about 3 years ago.

She has never even been in the drivers seat of the class A.

I have a BMW 525Xi and she says it's to big to drive.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nope, I'm not comfortable with that and she gave up asking too. She drive our class C when we had it. A lot of our older friends are downsizing to smaller coaches so their wife's can drive. One had a 38' Bounder and went to a 17' ACE.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #9

DW drives our 36" Expedition flat towing a 4 door jeep wrangler. Back when I was working she would drive it to Florida and I would fly down to maximize our vacation time.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #10

My wife does all of the coach driving. All I do is turn the steering wheel this way or that way and either speed up or slow down as directed.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #11

I am no one's DW bit I do drive my own 36' Monaco Diplomat
wingennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I prefer to do my driving from the passenger seat.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #13

She did drive our 35ft Pace Arrow once in a while. Has not drove the 40ft Monaco nor does she have any desire too. Just not her thing.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I prefer to do my driving from the passenger seat.
So are you and my wife related?
I once asked her "if I was to suddenly keel over and die, what would you do with the coach?" trying to get her to at least try and drive it. Her answer was "sell it on the spot"!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote