Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Trying a Safty-T-Plus front end steering stabilizer bar. Once we got one of those, the winds and the passing trucks have MUCH MUCH MUCH less effect on us.

Julee (Jack and Rose) Meltzer
Join our Facebook Group
DogsCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #16

drove from Colorado Springs Monday now in Mid Kansas. Had to slow to 55 (normally do 60-65) due to the winds. Have 20k up and down East coast and Colorado 2x's. Never had to slow due to winds. Heat reached 102, had to run ac on genny while driving. always an adventure!!

Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
Aerodynamics are what you are dealing with. Even an airplane is affected by wind. Consider what wind can do to a class A with a front end like a billboard and sides 10' tall x 36'+ long!
Rather than fight the wind try to make it work for you by traveling with it if you can. Otherwise play safe and drive with a safety margin re handling.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
DP with tags offer some improved stability, but heavy shifting wind directions impact DP's too. We found Airtabs really helped our comfort level of traveling, in our T28 Bounder. Passing trucks, and up to moderate direction changing winds... We also had made many mod's to our F53 chassis, which helped too. In big winds, slow down, and pull off and sit it out when prudent to do so...
Best to all
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
There truly are no stupid questions....and I stand by that, so don't listen to those whose replies have an undertone of "are you serious??". But sometimes we must recognize when our education system has failed us a little. This is all the more reason why we should focus on the Sciences more, they would have covered this.

I'll be the first to admit, I can't do division without a calculator, and have highschool to thank for that. That made college math rough.

Anyway, DPushers benefit from having more weight at the rear, and tag axles help too (just like how having a table with 6 legs is more stable than 4 for obvious reasons). Does having more weight at the rear help?? well it depends on which way the wind blows. The rear would be more stable, but with a smaller DP, you'll get more wondering in the front, because there's no weight over the front wheels (that's why it's nice to have a front mounted generator, as it adds weight). Traditionally DPs sit lower and on big heavy frames, so you have a lower center of gravity.
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The question is weather a DP can be 'pushed over' as easy as a gasser..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, DP's handle better in the wind than Gassers. Extra weight plus the air suspension allowing for more "roll" than mechanical suspension tends to provide for slightly greater comfort. Now, a tag axle coach, whole different story. This is my second tag and third DP and fifth coach. Tags are a whole different form of driving and well worth every penny. Towing a Jeep GC helps too as it helps keep that "tial" in check. One consideration that I am surprised to not see much on here is tire size. I find that the 305's on this coach sure let you know where all the truck ruts and soft spots are compared even to the 285's on my previous tag and 275's on my 40'. Big tires like to follow the shape of the pavement, especially in a strong side wind. Hydraulic steering sure helps along with a good all*wheel alignment and correct air pressure. This coach has proven to be particulary good to us; if I wasn't watching him go by I wouldn't know there was a semi passing us.
Tony & Yolanda / Katie & Spencer (the Doodles)
2011 Fleetwood Revolution 42W (450/1250)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Diesel) behind
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
Aside from the handling issues, the wind really plays havoc with fuel mileage too.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
The question is weather a DP can be 'pushed over' as easy as a gasser..
There is no way I could push either one over!
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
We have a DP, handles nicely up to 40+mph wind, where we start to feel it. If we know the wind will be over 50 we try to settle in till the blow dies down. In the Baja desert there are occasional wind days the fuel trucks are required to stay off the highway (because they blow over). We've traveled on two of those days. Not many trucks of any kind, so that was nice. Not much of anyone else either, so we can take our half of the road out of the middle. But its both hands on the wheel in all but tail wind like that. Any quartering wind and you need full control at a moment's notice.

One day at Bahia de Los Angeles, it blew a gale off shore. Sat & read a Tom Clancy novel in the shade at the cantina; wifey read her book. Had beerz too. Nice day.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
Master of Disaster

DP's in my opinion manage the wind better, it's not just weight but some of the actual chassis dynamics.

If you look at a DP with a chassis with rails, you have your fuel and engine down fairly low in the chassis, whereas a gas setup has the (admittedly lighter) engine up over the top of the front suspension. If you are loading a basement model, again, that load isn't that far up off the ground -- and is generally at or below the centerline of the axles, all of which helps a lot.

Also, DP's by nature generally don't have a big rear overhang, so unlike some of the gas models, you don't have this big tail with leverage pushing you around like a game of 'crack the whip.'

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #26
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have had it leaning so far over i got SKEEEERED and had to stop, because the wind off the passenger side.

i thought for sure we were going over, or at least not putting any wear on the right side tires
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drove a 45' Vam Hool coach across Michigan, empty, in a windstorm that blown down trees. and had a very hard time holding it on the road. After loading the passengers and their luggage it weighed several pounds more. There was a big difference in handling with the weight of the passengers and their luggage. They were going for 2 nights so they all had all of their personal belongings in their suitcases.
1995 Roadtrek 19 Versatile
Dodge 318
1975 GMC Eleganza II
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read posts about Motorhomes being blown into the next lane etc. No matter what you drive, the key word is DRIVE. You have to take charge of where your vehicle is going. There is no excuse for having your vehicle drifting out of your lane no matter how heavy the side wind . I have never driven across the U.S. without encountering heavy winds somewhere on the journey. I have never owned a vehicle that drove like it was on tracks ESPECIALLY a Motorhome. If you don't steer the thing it will wander !!

NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote