Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #1

Does this wiring look right?

We've been having some difficulty with our brand new batteries not charging through the inverter. They will charge through the alternator, but not when on 50 amp or through the generator. We found one bad battery and replaced it. (Under warranty, thankfully) That seemed to solve the problem for a couple of days but the problem is back. I had a different thread addressing this, but it got kind of cluttered so I started this one. It's been suggested we assure that the batteries were wired correctly. It seems to me that they are, but if someone can take a look who may be more familiar with batteries we'd appreciate it. If you look at the bottom picture, you can see that cable 5 is different from the others. I think that it just doesn't have the ribbed plastic casing, is that right? Also, I have no idea where cables 2,3,4, &5 go on the other end. I assume to the inverter and/or 12v batteries? thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #2

Gave me a headache looking at it, but it appears to be wired two in parallel and two in series.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #3

My first guess is only two batteries are binging charge?

http://www.familymotorsports.com/sel...ingdiagram.htm
Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems awfully complicated for a series/parallel circuit using 6V batteries. It really depends on how the other ends are attached. My setup has only 2 cables running from the batteries to the inverter charger.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Sure is pretty!

That is the BEST job of coloring and editing photos to be viewed for troubleshooting that I have ever seen, the problem is, its Friday night, beers after work out in the garage , dicking around, found this thread.........WOW , I'll look at it again in the morning......
It appears to wired like stated above, from tonights view
Oh boy......
Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
its Friday night, beers after work out in the garage
Oh boy......
Need to post that in the Friday Night drinking thread!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
The real question here, is did it ever work correctly with the way it's wired now and if so, then it's wired properly. I mean this with no deviation whatsoever, since it's hard to tell where the other cables are disappearing to and there's no sense in guessing.
Starting anew, it's pretty simple with series wiring the two pairs and then paralleling the two banks with one neg and one positive feeding out to a DC panel, inverter or both in some combination.
tropical36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #8

I am sober, tomorrow is birthday party...
Diagram looks wrong, I think you should get a mechanic to look. An incorrect connection may cause huge sparks!
If you are unsure, I recommend you don’t attempt to fix.
There are different ways to hook this up…

It appears to me that:
B1 and B2 are connected in series per C7
B3 and B4 are connected in series per C9
So + on B1 and + on B3 are +12V and Neg on B2 and Neg on B4 are GND

C6 connects the two Pos which is OK
C8 looks wrong, It will not cause a problem but it is connected at the 6V point, which is not necessary.
C8 should probably go between – on B2 and – on B4 to connect the two pair’s GND.

C1 and C2 are connected to a GND Lug on frame. The end of C1 connected to + on Batt 1 seems like it should go to the – of Batt 2
C3, C4 and C5 look like the connections to the Coach. One would be GND and the other two would be (to) Coach Feed and (From) Coach Converter.
Need to figure out which is connected to GND (it should connect to – on B2 or – on B4.
The other two would go to + on B1 or + on B3
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #9

Good illustration - wiring does NOT look right to me. I suggest you get someone to look at this on site and correct it. I would want to know where all the "C" cables go also.

The person who did this must have been sipping the shine too much.

Need to correct this wiring before going any further IMHO,

Good luck,.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
The real question here, is did it ever work correctly with the way it's wired now and if so, then it's wired properly. I mean this with no deviation whatsoever, since it's hard to tell where the other cables are disappearing to and there's no sense in guessing.
One day when we went to where the coach was stored, the batteries were all dead. We hadn't used it for a few months before that. We were told we needed all new batteries. So for $1300 we had all six replaced. Didn't use the coach for a few months until we took it south last week. That's when we posted this thread:

Brrrr...we're freezing! Help!

If you want the long story.

As far as we know, they haven't, but we already know we had a bad battery.

Interesting piece of info: the battery we returned had no kind of date stamp on it whatsoever. Interstate people were baffled, shop that replaced it was baffled, and the rv guy who came out was baffled. Don't know if it's relevant of not......
Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #11

You're problem could be bad cables. I'm looking at where C1 hops to a stud of what appears to be a very dirty fuse holder. I believe all that white stuff is corrosion and may be killing your charge cycle. That it seemed to work ok off the alternator may be coincidental or perhaps the alternator puts out higher charge voltage. But with corroded cable &/or connections it can easily work one day & not the next.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The wiring doesn't look OK to me but without knowing where all the wires go that dissapear I don't think anyone could give you an answer that would be correct. My suggestion is to get your coach into an qualified RV shop that handles your manufacture and start from square 1.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
C8 is connected to the wrong posts it should connect from B2 Neg to B4 neg.
On the second pic where C1 / C2 and unknown is that a fuse junction?
If so depending where the cables go once they leave the battery area it should work.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #14

Jumper wire C8 should be hooked from the - where the green wire is on the right hand battery (B4) to the - where the red wire (C5) is connected at battery B2. C1 goes to a fuse so that is connected correctly at the +. The way you are connected now your inverter/charger is only maintaining 2 of the four batteries, and your coach is drawing current off the other 2 batteries.

Tags
wiring