Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Does Tiffin have a version of Comfort Drive

cant seem to find it anywhere but does tiffin have their own version of newmars comfort drive? If so, when did it start and what models was/is it available on and what's it called?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #2

Don't know what comfort drive is, so could you elaborate?

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar's Comfort drive is a computer aided steering system from TRW. Only Newmar and Newell have used it.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

Thank you. Unless it's just been incorporated, Tiffin does not have that. However, DW and I regularly run 600+ miles a day back to back to back on trips to Alaska and return. This past summer we were in a hurry and ran a few 800+ days without feeling like a wet dish rag after we stopped for the night. Tiffin Bus is an EXTREMELY comfortable rig to drive. Our 2008 Bus was the same. I have run solo from Red Bay, AL to Delaware in one shot (1021 miles) without feeling dead at the end as well.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just so you know, Comfort Drive is not a magical thing that you'll immediately feel once you climb behind the wheel. Typically, you realize what it does at the end of the day. On a 600 mile drive, you might feel like you only drove 400.

The Comfort Drive automatically adjusts for wind push and road crown every few seconds as you drive. Often, you can be getting pushed by a 20 mph crosswind and never know it, unless you're watching the trees and bushes along the side of the road.

It also has an adjustable knob that sets the wheel for a standard feel or steering with just a fingertip. This is really nice when backing into a campsite. When ever the wheel is released after a turn, it automatically returns to center whether you're moving or not.

It's a very nice feature. If I really loved another brand, it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker, but if it were a tie or just close, I would go with Comfort Drive. I would also be willing to pay $5K if it were an option.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:23 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was watching a video showing the new Entegra's and I could swear I saw the knob on the dash for adjusting the system. I think Entegra might be using something similar now.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #7

Newmar and Newell use the Comfort Drive while Foretravel has a similar version. Entegra does not have it or any variation that I know of or have ever seen.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
cant seem to find it anywhere but does tiffin have their own version of newmars comfort drive? If so, when did it start and what models was/is it available on and what's it called?
You can add your own "comfort drive" by using a Blue Ox True center. It is a manual adjustment but does the job.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Henderson's in Grants Pass, OR sells the Safe-T-Plus with trim adjust that has the same effect on steering control as the Comfort Drive and the Howard Power Center Steer (no longer available). I know because we had the HPCS on our Beaver and now have the Henderson's system on our Monaco.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I installed the TruCenter on my Monaco Diplomat and loved it. It does do something similar to Comfort Drive, but is not the same. The TruCenter allows you to manually adjust for road crown or wind push by pushing a momentary button. It DOSEN'T give you adjustable steering input, isn't speed adjusted, isn't automatic and doesn't return to center.

Even though you have to manually adjust the TruCenter, I placed the button in a comfortable spot and it became second nature to make corrections, by pushing the button, every time the conditions change which can be every few minutes or every few hours.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I installed the TruCenter on my Monaco Diplomat and loved it. It does do something similar to Comfort Drive, but is not the same. The TruCenter allows you to manually adjust for road crown or wind push by pushing a momentary button. It DOSEN'T give you adjustable steering input, isn't speed adjusted, isn't automatic and doesn't return to center.

Even though you have to manually adjust the TruCenter, I placed the button in a comfortable spot and it became second nature to make corrections, by pushing the button, every time the conditions change which can be every few minutes or every few hours.
I agree. The BO TC is a steering stabilizer and was the first to allow the driver to "set" it on the fly. Their competitor's adjustable steering dampener is intended to make theirs more like the BO TC, but NEITHER of them AUTOMATICALLY and continuously adjust for the live conditions going down the road, which is what makes the TRW product so much better (and expensive) than either of the others.

I recently read that the TRW engineer, Ken Scherwin, recently retired but remains available here and elsewhere to provide his technical expertise. Look for his thread in the Newmar forum.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I wish I could add this to my Coach. TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox I was a year too late for the Comfort Drive system and this system won't fit my Spartan Mountian Master chassis. I've even talked to the engineers at Blue Ox. I would gladly pay the $1,000 for it even though my coach is fairly easy to drive in cross winds and the OTR trucks don't bother me.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-TC3527.../dp/B003DY0JDS

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #13

I also had the BO TC on two previous coaches and would not have a solid front axle coach without it. It wasn't automatic, but became almost automatic after I became used to using it. Our current coach has IFS and a tag. My son has a new 45' Mountain Aire and really likes the CD. However, his previous coach handled so poorly that anything would have been an improvement. At the end of a 500 mile day he claims to be ready for more. I follow him on some of those 500+ days and I hate to stop because our 43QGP handles so nice that it's a let down when I have to quit for the day. There's probably a difference between the Newmar and our Bus, but I wouldn't pay much to have it. 20 mph cross winds are not a problem and 30+ mph winds are very manageable.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
I wish I could add this to my Coach. TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox I was a year too late for the Comfort Drive system and this system won't fit my Spartan Mountian Master chassis. I've even talked to the engineers at Blue Ox. I would gladly pay the $1,000 for it even though my coach is fairly easy to drive in cross winds and the OTR trucks don't bother me.

Robot Check
Look into the Safe-T-Plus with trim control from Hendersons Align in Grants Pass, OR. It works the same way as the TruCenter. I've got it and it works.

super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin