Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #99

Great. Somebody had to go and use logic. I hate what that happens.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #100

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
They have tested this several times on planes... waxing them never increased speed or decreased fuel consumption..

Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #101

iRV2 No Limits Club
I wonder if that stuff Clark Griswold put on his sled would help with mileage. It seems to me it should.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #102

I found that I got better fuel mileage by loosing 20 pounds while waxing the whole rig. I did the top side, the bottom side, the inside, the outside, double waxed the left side because it sees more traffic.
I'll admit it is tricky getting the wax polished out from between the tire treads, but it's worth it, by golly. Some would argue that the threads on the trailer hitch for the towed don't need 'speed waxing', but I can tell the difference. I custom made compartment handle filler pieces so there would be no turbulence from the compartment handles. Judicious filing of the radio antenna's will allow a teardrop shape to be formed making air flow more smoothly over that 1/8th" piece of metal. I always polish to a 1000 grit level before polish but some report decent results at only 800 grit.
Many people tried to dissuade me from drilling lighting holes in the front axle, but I was able to drop 23 pounds and .0000023 millionths of a dram of drag. While walking around at some campgrounds I've noticed that some spendthrifts have not cut and polished the nibs on the sides of their tires smooth. Imagine the wind resistance of 40 little stubs of rubber sticking out into the windstream while rolling down the road? I have repeatedly looked for tires without all that fuel wasting printing on the sidewall. When will manufacturers learn?

If these types of things annoy you too, please send in your application and first years dues to Screw the Scenery, I'm Here for the Mileage. For more information about the club talk to any guy whose been left polishing the RV while the rest of the family is down swimming and sightseeing. Don't believe the story about the guy who polished thru his windshield and had to buy another one because of the hole worn thru the glass. It was defective glass that was too soft.

Please excuse the briefness of this missive, but I must return to todays task of making sure all bolt underneath the rig have been turned to their most aerodynamic advantage after polishing off all rough edges and sides.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #103

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I found that I got better fuel mileage by loosing 20 pounds while waxing the whole rig. I did the top side, the bottom side, the inside, the outside, double waxed the left side because it sees more traffic.
I'll admit it is tricky getting the wax polished out from between the tire treads, but it's worth it, by golly. Some would argue that the threads on the trailer hitch for the towed don't need 'speed waxing', but I can tell the difference. I custom made compartment handle filler pieces so there would be no turbulence from the compartment handles. Judicious filing of the radio antenna's will allow a teardrop shape to be formed making air flow more smoothly over that 1/8th" piece of metal. I always polish to a 1000 grit level before polish but some report decent results at only 800 grit.
Many people tried to dissuade me from drilling lighting holes in the front axle, but I was able to drop 23 pounds and .0000023 millionths of a dram of drag. While walking around at some campgrounds I've noticed that some spendthrifts have not cut and polished the nibs on the sides of their tires smooth. Imagine the wind resistance of 40 little stubs of rubber sticking out into the windstream while rolling down the road? I have repeatedly looked for tires without all that fuel wasting printing on the sidewall. When will manufacturers learn?

If these types of things annoy you too, please send in your application and first years dues to Screw the Scenery, I'm Here for the Mileage. For more information about the club talk to any guy whose been left polishing the RV while the rest of the family is down swimming and sightseeing. Don't believe the story about the guy who polished thru his windshield and had to buy another one because of the hole worn thru the glass. It was defective glass that was too soft.

Please excuse the briefness of this missive, but I must return to todays task of making sure all bolt underneath the rig have been turned to their most aerodynamic advantage after polishing off all rough edges and sides.
Altho you sacrificed some personal weightloss in order to take time to write that, I'm sure it was compensated by an equal amount of weightloss from the brain strain!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
We need to remove all necessary bumps( air conditioners, vents, skylights, antenas, solar panels, vent stacks, windows with frames, awnings, grab handles, stairs,) TO MAKE THE PROFILE MORE AERODYNAMIC. Then we can wax it just for something to do, since we wouldn't be able to drive it !!!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #106

I can find some nice tight places to drive through to do the removal to someone else's MH, if you'll do the waxing.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #107
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I hear there are places for people like us!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #108

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I look at it this way, it sure won't hurt, and since you are going to wax to preserve the finish anyway? Just think about all the money and research they do for the swimmers and bikers try to cut down the wind resistance on the apparel they wear. The Olympic speed skaters do the same thing. Less resistance, less power or energy needed to move. That should equate to better gas mileage, but maybe not enough to notice. 1 or 2 tenths per gallon?
Ever notice how skinny/light/streamline all those are to start with. There's nothing streamlined about the "brick" that I'm driving down down the road. I keep the coach waxed to help protect my investment/folly, not for any hope of better fuel mileage.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can always put up a 40' sail an use it to increase fuel mileage.

It's a barn, a brick, a House on wheels going down the road. NOT a sports car. If you are getting around 5-8 MPG gas and 8-10 diesel then be happy. You have all of your own stuff with you and you know how clean or dirty the bed really is.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #110

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
OK, with as much time as I spend here I should know this, but.....

So... what say ye all. Does a good wax job have any impact on the MPG of a DP?

Thanks

Rick
NO! The only impact is on your free time and on the eye candy appeal to you after you are finished with the wax job.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #111

Race cars use wax, but for them, every little bit helps.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #112

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my plane picks up as much as 4 knots with a fresh wash and wax, I would think everything is relative and will helps some. I keep the front of mine waxed more often than the sides to help with bug removal and protection.