Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My old 89 HR the dash air/heat owrked fine, but my new 06 Safari -- not so much. The air moves fine, but the heat fades if the coach is moving; either the hot water is cooling or the air box is allowing ambient air in. THe ac is a no show, but I think it may need a recharge. I had a few people say the dash air never works, but damn, it's a simple system, why would it not work and why should I accept that?
TonyMac
Dash heat and A/C systems, although large enough to heat the interor of a car or pick up truck to a comfortable temperature, have a hard time heating a van interior.... (let alone the cabin of a motor home).
If/when traveling in extreme HEAT I run the generator and a roof A/C....in COLD weather, the propane furnace.

Me thinks you are be expecting to much.

Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Both heater and A/C work great on my Spartan Chassis. If you have vacumn controls check out the vacumn pump on the front fire wall and make sure it is fuctioning.
They are made by Ford and could be your problem.
As far as your heater, trace you water lines back and make sure you don't have a restriction in one of the hoses. The A/C could have freon leak so I would have it checked out by a certified auto A/C tech.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
They both work great on our 2005 National. In extreme weather, we use the genny with the basement a/c, or the LPG furnace. 10 years so far, no complaints. Now, where is some wood to knock on. . . . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a Evans AC/Heater unit you may have this problem that was found on a 2013 coach but problems have been around since before 2003 in my coach if Evans control was installed incorrectly this link may help or it could also be a vacume problem as has been stated.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
Some vehicle hvac controls are cable controlled and some are vacuum controlled. My previous 97 gasser was vacuum controlled (gm) and my current DP is also vac controlled. The 97 system didn't work right till I found a vac line off under the hood at the vacuum canister. Diesels have a vacuum pump to get vacuum so make sure it is functioning..if the air flow doors aren't working right, the system will do funny things.

Both of our systems worked great.
That controller is usually the cause of poor cooling or heating.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #20

The dash heater only puts out mildly warm air. The max air temp I get out is 132 degrees. While climbing up a mountain in Pa the heater started putting out hot air. Soon as we leveled off the heater air cooled back down. I called Cummins and they. Said 132 degrees is fine. We have a 2008 Thor with ISL 400.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
The dash heater only puts out mildly warm air. The max air temp I get out is 132 degrees. While climbing up a mountain in Pa the heater started putting out hot air. Soon as we leveled off the heater air cooled back down. I called Cummins and they. Said 132 degrees is fine. We have a 2008 Thor with ISL 400.
koda59
IMO you may have a bad thermostat
132 degees seems low low to me....(I believe you should be seeing 180F to 190F).
Call Cummins Care, (1-800-343-7357), with your engine serial numer and ask.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
koda59
IMO you may have a bad thermostat
132 degees seems low low to me....(I believe you should be seeing 180F to 190F).
Call Cummins Care, (1-800-343-7357), with your engine serial numer and ask.
Mel
'96 Safari
180/190*F is normal at the engine, there is heat loss from the engine to the front of a DP. I have to run my heater or A/C on max or the outside air it mixes in dilutes the air temp. 180*F coming out of the heater would burn the skin,132* at the heater sounds about right.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dash air