Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #15
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Bought a new Journey with a 275 hp cummins in 2001, a new Providence with a 350 hp Cat C7 in 2005, and my latest coach a 2011 Monaco with the MaxxForce 10 350 hp none of them used any oil that was measurable between yearly changes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #16

I have 18000 miles on my 2010 6.7 ISB engine and I do not have any oil loss.

P.S. A diesel manufactured after 2009 does not vent blow by into the atmosphere, federal EPA laws mandates a closed system just like a gas engine.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi MN_Traveler,
Only when you change the oil and count the quarts to get to the full mark on the dipstick will you know if the dip stick is okay. In addition your engine could be like mine. Engine capacity is 24 quarts. 22 quarts puts the oil level at the add mark on the dip stick. I found out a long time ago if I put 24 quarts in, the engine will burn off 2 quarts. Then it stops. It will stay at the add oil mark for 9 months or about 12K miles before I need to add a quart to get it back to the add mark on the dipstick. For some reason the engine likes to run 2 quarts below the recommended 24 quarts. If that makes the engine happy, so am I. Your engine may be similar and just like to run at the add mark on the dipstick. Try running at the add mark and see if it settles in at that point.
I agree with Gary. Just run it and see if it continues to use oil. I think you will find the happy place on the dip stick and you oil worries will be over.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #18

We have ~51000 miles on our 5.9L Cummiins ISB. Oil change for use is 10000-11000 miles roughly one year of running. In the time we have owned the coach the engine has never lost a measureable amount of oil between oil changes.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth camper View Post
I have 18000 miles on my 2010 6.7 ISB engine and I do not have any oil loss.

P.S. A diesel manufactured after 2009 does not vent blow by into the atmosphere, federal EPA laws mandates a closed system just like a gas engine.
I guess this leaves me confused: does this mean that a 2012 ISB does not have a slobber tube - and thus I would NOT expect the oil level to decrease if overfilled, as others have commented ?????
Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I guess this leaves me confused: does this mean that a 2012 ISB does not have a slobber tube - and thus I would NOT expect the oil level to decrease if overfilled, as others have commented ?????
I was told by the service center where I get my MH Serviced that at all new diesel engines for the 2009 model year and up can no longer vent into the atmosphere. I was concerned regarding a rear radiator having cooling issues because of the slober tube blowing oil on the radiator.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #21

You should change your oil and then keep a eye on it. I would have changed it at 5000 m if it was mine. My two cents
Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #22

Typically when there is too much oil in a diesel engine the crankshaft will dip into the splashed up oil and sling it up into the lower cylinder walls where some of it gets pushed up into the combustion chamber and burned. It does not produce smoke like a gas engine would. Diesel engine owners should never try to keep the oil level up to the full mark by adding a quart each time it gets a quart low. The engine will use the top quart substantially faster than it will the second and then slower still for the third and so on...The above advice to obtain the correct capacity and drain and refill with that amount is the correct course of action.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #23

when unburned diesel fuel gets past the piston rings it winds up in the crankcase mixed with the oil and you can't tell by looking at it. Your engine can indeed be using oil but the level never drops. I have seen engines that "Made" oil! When that happens the oil in the crankcase is diluted over time and in the winter it may not be much of a problem but hot weather needs thicker oil.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartinkus View Post
Typically when there is too much oil in a diesel engine the crankshaft will dip into the splashed up oil and sling it up into the lower cylinder walls where some of it gets pushed up into the combustion chamber and burned. It does not produce smoke like a gas engine would. Diesel engine owners should never try to keep the oil level up to the full mark by adding a quart each time it gets a quart low. The engine will use the top quart substantially faster than it will the second and then slower still for the third and so on...The above advice to obtain the correct capacity and drain and refill with that amount is the correct course of action.
I think this makes sense based on what people in this thread have observed, and the construction of the diesel engine. Thank you MMartinkus.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #25

Another Idea / Question - temperature changes ...

Something else has occured to me as I have watched the responses in the thread.

The advice in the manual is to check the oil level prior to starting the engine. This means the engine is cold. Here in Minnesota, that means COLD. COLD means that metal shrinks.

Here is the question: as cold temperatures set in, could this result in a SHORTENING of that very, very long dipstick cable, resulting in an APPARENT change in the level of the oil on the dipstick (making the oil look low) ?????? Has anyone observed this actually occurring??