RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As stated in Clifford's post #9 these are the switches and relays that must close on most coaches to make the starter run..... 1) Ignition switch, 2) Neutral safety sw, 3) Starter Relay, 4) starter Solenoid. Having a DVM and knowing how to use it, makes quick work of this. An RV owner without a DVM, and knowledge to use it, must have a FAT wallet ($$$) to survive. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
Attachment 152504Attachment 152505

Here are two photos. One shows the new relay and the other, thanks to another contributor on the forum, shows where it is mounted on the frame rail.

If applicable to your coach, I hope this helps.

Let us know.....thanks.
Thanks for the pics. As soon as my back pain calms down, I ll crawl under there and check it oot!

Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
This is a still a problem. I have cleaned every single connection on the batteries. I have not cleaned off the connection to the starter. Are there any other connections, like relay connections, that I should look at? Could this be a bad relay? I thought I had it licked a few months back, but it did it again when I had to get propane.

Thanks,eh?

Brad

2002 Holiday Rambler Neptune PDQ ISB 275 hp Cummins engine.
As said there are some pre-relay and pre-solenoids along with a neutral and maybe a lockout relay, before the main starter solenoid and even if you're sure that you're hearing the main solenoid clicking, it could still not be pulling all the way in.
The most likely culprit is some dirty and/or loose connections along the way, stopping or limiting current flow. Cranking over after some tries, with the heat building up, is sort of an indication of this phenomenon.
My cure is to install some emergency circuitry for by-passing all this paraphernalia.
I have one large and one smaller momentary push button mounted in a plastic residential box and hidden back in the last bay, next to the engine on the passenger side.
The large heavy duty button wires across the secondary solenoid contacts and in essence, puts battery voltage directly on the starter's main solenoid, so if that doesn't work in a pinch, you might as well, replace the starter.
The smaller button puts voltage on the coil of this secondary solenoid and if it doesn't want to work, then replace this said solenoid. If it always works, then you need to start looking up range. Least ways, you can get it started and look into it later. Beats crawling around in a rainstorm and/or traffic, or calling for a mobile mechanic and/or a tow.
Funny thing and with a lot of these add on backup systems, once they're installed, the problem doesn't resurface. This tells me that the loosening, removing and otherwise with installing the extra wiring, cleaned up the connections. Now, that mine is done, it's staying in there and like the idea of having it, for a just in case and some peace of mind. Now, if all else fails, I just turn on the ignition and walk back to push one of these buttons. Being first sure that it's in neutral and the parking brake is on, of course.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Attachment 152504Attachment 152505

Here are two photos. One shows the new relay and the other, thanks to another contributor on the forum, shows where it is mounted on the frame rail.

If applicable to your coach, I hope this helps.

Let us know.....thanks.
I have the same problem as stated by the OP. I found 2 of the solenoids that you posted a picture of. I have a 1999 Mountain Aire 40' with a 330 cummins. Is that the solenoid I should be looking for. I have been looking for a ford style solenoid
Thx Brian
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #19

Brian,

What is depicted in the photo is a White Rodgers Relay.

Freightliner refers to it as a "start relief relay". When energized it turns on/off switch contacts momentarily so power can be directed to the starter.

The solenoid you might be referring to should be mounted adjacent to your starter. Although both provide action when energized, there are subtle differences between a solenoid and relay.

Maybe someone with a Mountain Aire has the starting schematic for an 03 they would be willing to share
that starts at the ignition and
ends at the starter......anyone?
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Brian,

What is depicted in the photo is a White Rodgers Relay.

Freightliner refers to it as a "start relief relay". When energized it turns on/off switch contacts momentarily so power can be directed to the starter.

The solenoid you might be referring to should be mounted adjacent to your starter. Although both provide action when energized, there are subtle differences between a solenoid and relay.

Maybe someone with a Mountain Aire has the starting schematic for an 03 they would be willing to share
that starts at the ignition and
ends at the starter......anyone?
All this is usually a chassis thing, so could very well be the same for many brands of coaches. Mine is a Spartan and one who will send you anything you want in the line of diagrams and mechanical exploded views. Most sure Freightliner will do the same, as may others.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote