Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Dog Ramp

We have a front entry coach that has a two step Kwiki and then three steps inside the rig.

Our pup is starting to have hindquarter issues, but tends to jump over the Kwiki steps to reach the lowest step in the MH.

I am looking for a ramp that will remove the Kwiki steps from his equation.

What ramp schemes have you used with success?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #2

We are having the same issue with ours, same type of setup it sounds like. What I did was to put some cloth on the back side of the steps so she can see any daylight. Once she gets inside there is no problem It must have something to do with them thinking that there are no steps. I also built a wooden platform so as to make getting up to th efirst step not so high and she refused to use that as well until I covered it so it would look like a solid step.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

We purchased the one in the link from Petco for our 11 year old babies. I ended up drilling the side rails when I had the ramp extended so that I could insert a detent pin to keep the ramp fully extended. I go out, position the ramp on the steps, then I let the girls come down the ramp. It is light enough to move with one arm once they are out of the coach. We stand it up along side of the coach when we are camping.

Mr. Herzher's Smart Ramp - Big Dog Ramps and Collapsible Dog Ramp For Trucks from PETCO.com
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After our Lab tore his ACL we purchased this XL ramp.

Dog Ramps: Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp at Drs. Foster & Smith

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Besides the ramp, we used a large beach towel as a sling. He was a big dog!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club

Solvit Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp

kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #7

Thanks to all for the replies. Very helpful

I liked the telescoping lightweight ramps so I just bought the Solvit pictured above.

However, my dog spins his wheels going up the non-slip and I am concerned about furthur injury.

I will have to now find some carpet to fasten to the Solvit and still retain the ability to collapse the ramp.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post

I will have to now find some carpet to fasten to the Solvit and still retain the ability to collapse the ramp.
Perhaps some double sided carpet tape and astroturf? (the indoor/outdoor carpet for porches- it is very thin)
Hiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #9

We have the same issue with our almost 14 year-old Labrador. What we need is a ramp to go all the way to the MH floor, and not be too steep. We have a 6-foot telescopic, but it's too steep if used all the way to the floor.

We can't decide whether to build a folding 12-footer with aluminum square tube and sheet or just cut back on use of the rig until she's not with us any more. We can store the 6' folded length in one of the cargo bays without a problem.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #10

Ok, it looks like I now have a solution.

BTW, the dog weighs 50 lbs and is a Terrier.

The Solvit 6' ramp works great for entering the back of the Grand Cherokee and skipping the Kwikee steps on the MH.

I had some carpet runner that was very thin bought at Home Depot 13 years ago.

The Carpet Tape did not work as it would not stick well to the non-skid on the Solvit.

So I used "Industrial Strength" sticky back Velcro at each end of the carpet runner and covered the two sections.

The ramp still slides open and closed well and the pup likes the ramp much more than he did after only one try.

Frank, I cannot help you in your decision, but it would seem difficult to build a 12' ramp with tubing that would hold your 80lb (guesstimate) pup. Some sort of vertical cross brace could be needed maybe in front of the outside steps and on the bottom interior step.

Maybe others have solved your problem already and will chime in.

I
Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We have the same issue with our almost 14 year-old Labrador. What we need is a ramp to go all the way to the MH floor, and not be too steep. We have a 6-foot telescopic, but it's too steep if used all the way to the floor.

We can't decide whether to build a folding 12-footer with aluminum square tube and sheet or just cut back on use of the rig until she's not with us any more. We can store the 6' folded length in one of the cargo bays without a problem.
For everybody with larger pets that are difficult to lift you might want to consider one of these stretchers. To make it even easier for 2 people to lift the stretcher we use 2 wooden poles inserted into the handles of the stretcher. It came in very handy when our 112# Lab tore his ACL.

Pet Transport Stretcher

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote