Originally Posted by ScottyB410
This is a great job!. My New Vacationer has nothing installed and sounds like I'm sitting beside the engine.
Can you list the steps you took to install insulation please. Pimarily the adhesive.. Was it done in one shot or did you do it in stages?
I did the removeable part of the cover first. Took it off and into the garage. With a putty knife, scrape off as much of the old insulation as you can, taking care not to damage any of the fiberglass underneath. There was a lot of the old stuff still left and it was pretty sticky so I used Goof Off and sprayed it liberally over the remaining gooey stuff that was left and let it set.
While that was cooking, I removed as much as I could reach of the insulation that was on the part of the doghouse still attached to the MH. I used a razor knife to cut it into manageable sections first. I didn't use Goof Off on that section. For some reason that came off a little cleaner. Be sure to clean up any bits that fall on the engine.
Back to the garage. Using the putty knife, scrape the now gooeyer stuff off. Do this on newspaper so your floor doesn't turn into flypaper. When you have as much off as possible, clean the rest with Simple Green and and water (about a 50/50 solution) and let dry.
On my cover there was about a 2" border where there was no insulation. That is where the rubber seal meets the cover. I masked that off with painters tape so as not to get the spray adhesive there. Then I cut the new insulation about 2" larger than what I needed. I sprayed 2 coats of the adhesive on the cover and 2 coats on the fabric side of the insulation. Wait just a couple of minutes. Being very careful, hold the insulation on the ends and bring the pieces together starting in the middle and work outward. This is where the extra overlap comes in handy. Once the 2 come together, there is no repositioning. Once you have it in place, you can remove the painters tape and trim the excess. Finish it off with the foil tape and done.
It was a little harder to get the adhesive on to the part still on the bus but still do-able with some care. It was easier to do that part in small sections with the limited space I had.
The Thermo-Guard is available online. Bought mine from JCWhitney. I used the one sided foil kind. It's available with foil on both sides. Everything else came from Lowes. The spray adhesive is Loctite waterproof and heat resistant.
Scotty, if yours has no insulation at all, most of the hard part is done..
Let me know if you need more info.