Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB410 View Post
This is a great job!. My New Vacationer has nothing installed and sounds like I'm sitting beside the engine.

Can you list the steps you took to install insulation please. Pimarily the adhesive.. Was it done in one shot or did you do it in stages?

Cheers
Scotty
Glad to...

I did the removeable part of the cover first. Took it off and into the garage. With a putty knife, scrape off as much of the old insulation as you can, taking care not to damage any of the fiberglass underneath. There was a lot of the old stuff still left and it was pretty sticky so I used Goof Off and sprayed it liberally over the remaining gooey stuff that was left and let it set.

While that was cooking, I removed as much as I could reach of the insulation that was on the part of the doghouse still attached to the MH. I used a razor knife to cut it into manageable sections first. I didn't use Goof Off on that section. For some reason that came off a little cleaner. Be sure to clean up any bits that fall on the engine.

Back to the garage. Using the putty knife, scrape the now gooeyer stuff off. Do this on newspaper so your floor doesn't turn into flypaper. When you have as much off as possible, clean the rest with Simple Green and and water (about a 50/50 solution) and let dry.

On my cover there was about a 2" border where there was no insulation. That is where the rubber seal meets the cover. I masked that off with painters tape so as not to get the spray adhesive there. Then I cut the new insulation about 2" larger than what I needed. I sprayed 2 coats of the adhesive on the cover and 2 coats on the fabric side of the insulation. Wait just a couple of minutes. Being very careful, hold the insulation on the ends and bring the pieces together starting in the middle and work outward. This is where the extra overlap comes in handy. Once the 2 come together, there is no repositioning. Once you have it in place, you can remove the painters tape and trim the excess. Finish it off with the foil tape and done.

It was a little harder to get the adhesive on to the part still on the bus but still do-able with some care. It was easier to do that part in small sections with the limited space I had.

The Thermo-Guard is available online. Bought mine from JCWhitney. I used the one sided foil kind. It's available with foil on both sides. Everything else came from Lowes. The spray adhesive is Loctite waterproof and heat resistant.

Scotty, if yours has no insulation at all, most of the hard part is done..

Let me know if you need more info.

Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #16

Insulating the doghouse is the cheapest great improvement there is. I double insulated ours and also the area around the doghouse underneath, as much as I could reach. The difference in heat and noise reduction was amazing and made the coach much more enjoyable to drive as you can now talk without raising your voice. Before insulating when the transmission would downshift on upgrades the noise was very loud, now not so much, huge difference.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
The Thermo-Guard is available online. Bought mine from JCWhitney. I used the one sided foil kind. It's available with foil on both sides. Everything else came from Lowes. The spray adhesive is Loctite waterproof and heat resistant.
I thought the Thermo-Guard had a sticky backing already? Or am I thinking about a different product?
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I thought the Thermo-Guard had a sticky backing already? Or am I thinking about a different product?
Nope. There are several different brands - Dynamat, FatMat, EZCool, B-Quiet. I think there was one that had a sticky backing. I think it was the B-Quiet.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy after I reading these posts I have the ich bad to do this. I have put it off for too long.
Mine had none to begin with... So all I will need to do is clean off the dust. I'm going to start looking.
Thanks for the Post's,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote