Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Cool Doghouse removal

I bought a 2005 National Dolphin a few months ago and for the life of me I can not figure out how to remove the engine cover(dog house). I called the people I bought it from (Lazydays) and they told me there were two bolts on the firewall that need to be removed but again I can't find them. There are four bolts inside the coach but when I take them out the cover is still snug as a rug. Can anyone help me, I'm at my wits end...I love this motor home and there is nothing wrong, I would just like to look at my engine. Thanks in advance
I'm up there in years and I thought I could pretty much figure stuff like this out but nooooooo

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2003 Winnebago Brave there were four 1/2-turn latches that needed an Allen wrench to make the 1/2-turn. They were "hidden" in the doghouse carpeting and were hard to find (2 near the front, 2 near the back). I suggest that a magnet might help find them, if yours has the same type of doghouse fastening. If not, the magnet will detect any ferrous screw or bolt that may be your culprit.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #3

I suggest you crawl under your coach with a flashlight and look up to see if there are screws or latches holding it. My first coach (Winnebago) had a latch on the aft end. This latch was inside the dog house and I had an Allen wrench that fit through a hole that was covered by carpet. Additionally, there were 2 sheet metal screws ( one on each side) at the forward end. These were also buried in the carpet. The manual discussed the latch, but said nothing about the screws. The only way I found the screws was getting under the coach. After I got the screws out, I threw them out. I also suggest you check the operator's manual if you have one.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoppock View Post
I bought a 2005 National Dolphin a few months ago and for the life of me I can not figure out how to remove the engine cover(dog house). I called the people I bought it from (Lazydays) and they told me there were two bolts on the firewall that need to be removed but again I can't find them. There are four bolts inside the coach but when I take them out the cover is still snug as a rug. Can anyone help me, I'm at my wits end...I love this motor home and there is nothing wrong, I would just like to look at my engine. Thanks in advance
I'm up there in years and I thought I could pretty much figure stuff like this out but nooooooo
If you post in the National RV Owners Forum you will get the answer from owners of the same model MH. To remove the dog house on my 99 Dolphin there are 4 screws that go in horizontally. Two in the front flange and two at the rear of dog house near the floor. They are covered by carpet so you have to feel for them.
No one knows your MH better then someone that owns one like it.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What chboone said. Post in National forum. But as stated four screws, then you have to break it loose, a rubber seal but who knows when it was last removed. Before replacing it spray the rubber with some silicone for the next time.

Tags
removal