Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Doghouse Sound Deadeners

I have been doing some homework on soundproofing some of my engine noise on my 99 Fleetwood Southwind (gas).

Shockingly I discovered there is literally next to zero sound proofing in my rig with nothing under the doghouse and only a thin carpet over top.

I'm comparing several companies and think I have my answer. Just curious if anyone else has experience here?

Comparing:
1) Dynamat (most expensive)

2) GTMAT (waaay cheaper version of dynamat with similar results.

3) B-Quiet (appears quality and mid-range price.

I think I will need a 19 ft roll and anticipate it costing about $100.

All above are heat resistant too, so no worries on engine extremes!
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1434123763.256911.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  119.0 KB

Thoughts?

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used Dynamat on my dog house and it is significantly quieter in the coach. You can just about carry a normal conversation with the person in the passenger seat.

Jaime

jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

I went with Dynamax also, and can vouch for being able to talk at normal tone. Uphill can still be noisy with the V10, but not as loud as before the install. I would venture to say for us it reduced noise by at least 50%, probably more. Heat to doghouse cover now, doesn't exist. Overall, very satisfied with product.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #4

Jgallego and olddog49, your comments made me look into the Dynamat - I gave a quick look at Amazon.

How much material did you buy?

I have a F-53 chassis and wouldn't mind it being a bit quieter. Did you simply cover the inside of the dog house with the material, including the removable cover? I haven't looked inside mine yet to judge the amount of clearance between the dog house and the engine and accessories but am hoping that it's not too difficult to fish the mat in there? Was the self-adhesive adequate or did you use some other means to secure the material?
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

Doghouse Sound Deadeners

Here is my homework so far. It's looking like Lordco has the best deal on the "real deal" Dynamat. Usually about $300 on sale for $100. I'm thinking about 25 sqft total should do my job.

ENGINE SOUND INSULATION:
1) B-Quiet Ultimate ($135)
2) GTMAT ($49 for 19 ft on amazon (same as Dynamat) or $80 Cdn for 18 ft on eBay?
Want 50 mil or 80 mil?
3) Hush-mat Ultra
4) Dynamat (Lordco 19 mil 32 inch x 54 inch (12 sqft & 3/4 inch thick) for $100
5) The America Mat?
6) Thermo-tec (used in transport trucks) ($60)

Old 06-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

Most of my noise sounds like it's coming from drivers side under dashboard area, and not even the doghouse. Although the doghouse cooks my tender tootsies if driving barefoot!

This is definitely my next upgrade!

Old 06-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here a link to a discussion about insulating the dog house, one guy used Rookwool for his.

Sound insulating my doghouse
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used spray foam on mine the blue type worked great
Old 06-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #9

I am in the process of doing the same. I did a Coach about 10 years back when they still had the loud electric overheating engine fans that would kick in. I insulated under the dog house and did some spray sound proofing undercoating on the outside bottom of the floor, then some peel and stick engine sound proofing onto that. Then inside pulled up all carpet and placed some peel and stick on the floor, then some padding, then new carpet and did the firewall as well. It made a huge difference.

On my current coach, a workhorse...in looking up under the cockpit area from the ground, I see I have easy access to the underside of the dash and plan to do that as well as anything else I can reach from the underside using heat resistant material

Now, in looking at choices, there are a lot more than 10 years back. In reading, they now suggest two layers, one for sound absorbing and one for sound proofing. I am thinking of doing both inside and outside with each type of material. On the inside, they even offer sound proof carpet pad now. If you search for automobile sound proofing on Amazon and read the reviews and the Q and A.'s You will see many choices, some reviews say some products better than dynamat for less money.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #10

I just finished sound proofing my coach. I used B-Quiet. As per their instructions, I first applied the “extreme”, and on top of that the Vcomp.

It seems that most of the noise comes from the wheels, not so much the engine. The cockpit floor is only ” thick on my coach (Fleetwood) and no insulation at all. I did the complete cockpit floor and the dog house. I also did the wheel wells in the rear.

We’re leaving on a 2400 mile trip this Friday. I guess I’ll find it if it works...
Old 06-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
One roll of Dynamat did it for my doghouse. It just stick on.

Jaime
jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My concern with the stick-on material is the glue failing from the heat and falling onto the exhaust manifold. Probably not a problem, but i can't get it out of my mind.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 06-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingslow View Post
I used spray foam on mine the blue type worked great
Where do you get the blue stuff?
Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Where do you get the blue stuff?
I got it at home depot bought the foam and they me loaned the sprayer. Picked it up in mourning returned it that afternoon easy