Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
My C9 has a front drain plug and a rear one as well. I put the fumoto on the rear one. Even with the drain nipple its high enough it should not be damaged severely by road debris.
First CAT dealer put 36 qts in after I told them 34. Made draining 2 quarts a breeze.

2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #16
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I use a Fumoto valve and have for the last 9 or 10 years. IMHO you really don't need to worry too much about road debris shearing the valve but I do understand your concern. The Fumoto is pretty hand to drain a gallon at a time and avoid clean up of the drain pan too.
You can use a shop vacuum holding the suction hose to the oil filler hole on the engine. With the vacuum running remove the drain plug and insert a Fumoto. Then put the drain plug back in after you have finished draining the oil. You won't lose a drop as long as the vacuum "connection" is wrapped with a rag to sort of seal it.
+1. fumoto is the ultimate solution.

2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
I'm cheap and like to repurpose when possible. I've found a used cattle feed tub (plastic or rubber) works great as a drain pan. If you don't have cattle to feed, they're available in different sizes with a low profile, probably free (or very cheap) from a feed store or Purina, Tractor Supply, etc. The same store will likely have the 4x4' cardboard "toppers" that come on wooden shipping pallets. Typically these are disposed of and my feed store is glad to save me a few for my shop use. I also try to work smarter, not harder, and since my M-11 holds 10 gallons it's less than convenient to handle/transport the used oil. I have an old 12v bilge pump that I use to transfer oil from the tub to 5 gal buckets (w/lids) for disposable. Works for me... neat, clean, and tidy!
'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok for all you guys that use 5 gal buckets how do you have your rigs lifted?
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
I cut a plastic barrel to 10" high. One inch holds 1.1 gallon liquid. It is stable since it is so wide. I use a nylon strap to pull it from under the MH, then pump it into the oil jugs I just emptied into the engine. A local mechanic shop has a used-oil burning furnace, they always welcome free fuel (recycling) to heat their huge shop for the winter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #20
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by girlydogs View Post
I also made drive on ramps with 2x12 lumber, them are 4 levels 1st is 3 1/2 ft long 2nd is 3ft 3rd is2ft 4th is 2ft, put a 45 degree bevel on 1 end of each and screw together. You will need to make 4 to support both set of duels. My 295/80/22.5s fit perfect,With smaller tires you might be able to use 2x10s.

Hope this helps
Screw them all together, they get mighty heavy,( mine have to be long enough to support the tags as well).
I drilled holes thru mine and slip pins thru them to lock together.
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #21
I use a Rubbermaid tub that I bought at Walmart. It's about 24" X 18' X 10" deep or so.
I put it in a trash bag, drain the oil in it, empty the oil back into the jugs and turn the bag inside out and throw it away. No muss, no fuss.
I also use a Fumoto valve. I've used them for years with no problems.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #22
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I use a mortar mixing tub, available at Lowes or Depot. They are low but hold a lot.

I use one that is 26x20 for my Cummins ISL (24 quarts) but Lowes has one that is 36x24 for those really big block diesels.

Shop MacCourt 26-in x 20-in High Density Polyethylene Small Black All Purpose Tub at Lowes.com

The downside is that I have to scoop the oil back out to put it in jugs for recycling. I scoop until the level gets low enough to conveniently lift and pour the rest. One of these days I may insert a valve in the tub.
I also use a mortar mixing tub.....$12.99 at Menards:
'96 Safari, 28 quart Cat 3126
mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by smoker View Post
I use a galvanized wash tub, don't have to worry about it running over and no oil spills, will hold at least 40 quarts and is not as high a a 5 gallon bucket. Also can do the oil filter with it.

X2 mine is advertised as a 17 gallon tub
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Every time I change my oil, I think about the Fumoto valve, but by then it's too late. As I said in my first post, I'm not yet a fan of Fumoto. After I posted, I went to the Fumoto site and saw that they have a drain plug listed for my ISL. I also saw they sell a protective cover for the valve to keep debris from knocking it open.....so I changed my thinking and ordered the F104N, long nipple Fumoto, a piece of clear tubing and the lock cover for $37.00. I guess I'll try the Fumoto valve.

The price at Fumoto was cheaper than Amazon....here is the link for a Cummins engine: Search Results | Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valves
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #25
Tiffin Owners Club
Valve protective cover? Went to the Fumoto web site...couldn't find it. Can you give me a url?

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #26
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I'm looking at 34 qts so that won't work for me...
Wow, my little ISB and it's 17 quarts is positively car-like.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #27
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've seen one post about a homemade ramp that raises the coach about 6 inches to service it. Is that how everyone lifts their coach?

Is it nessasary to also lift the front wheels to keep it level to drain a DP?
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #28
I use a 15 gallon galvanized wash tub, has sturdy handles and slides fairly easy when full on concrete. It also fits in the motorhome basement and holds all the spare oil, coolant, fill hoses and funnels for future use.

Keith & Anna Mae
U.S.Coast Guard Retired
1991 35.5 ft Beaver Baronet with Caterpillar 3116
bullheadbum is offline   Reply With Quote