Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Doing your own service on your DP? What oil drain pan are you using?

I'm going to be doing my own maintenance on my Beaver and I'm curious as to what oil drain pans you shade tree mechanics are using...I use a home depot bucket for my RAM CTD but I would need a couple of those for the Beaver. I may go to some sort of an oil drain valve (i.e.,Fumoto) but I haven't decided yet.

The Roughneck 15 gal with hand pump seems to fit the bill.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't have an answer but want to follow this thread.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

I use an oil drain valve, and have some 2 1\2 gal jugs I drain into, works good.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #4

Oil drain pan

I have used a pan that WALMART sells. It is green in color and has the capacity to hold the 16 to 17 qts that my Cummins diesel requires. Not really expensive, under $20. I carry it with us on all our travels and use it to store items that I need to maintain the coach. Good value.
Check it out.
Regards,
JimB

PS: When you drain the engine completely, close the oil pan drain plug, place the green oil drain pan on a bucket, you can pour all the old oil into the new oil jugs. Has work for me for 10 years. Take the old oil to ADVANCE AUTO for disposal.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
tankcj.....I've been doing my own service on my DP for 9 years. My Diplomat had a 400 ISL with two drain plugs in the pan, a high and low. I had enough height to actually drain the oil into a 5 gallon gas can. I would do the top drain first, draining just some of the oil. I use the 2.5 gallon bottles of Rotella oil, that I purchase at Walmart, and use the empty containers to dispose of the oil. Once I've drained the upper half of the pan, I pour what's in the 5 gallon gas can into the empty oil containers from my previous service.....I save them. Once done, I return the old oil to AutoZone for recycling.

If you can't get a 5 gallon gas can to fit, buy an inexpensive one and cut the top off, leaving the side handle on. If you only have one drain plug, just reinstall it when the gas can starts to get full. Empty the gas can and finish draining the oil.

I like the idea of the Fumoto valve, but have always been leery of them coming open.

I also save large pieces of cardboard that come with items I buy. I lay them on the ground under the engine. Any spills are easily dealt with
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I use an oil drain valve, and have some 2 1\2 gal jugs I drain into, works good.
I'm just afraid that it may be susceptible to damage from hwy debris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
I have used a pan that WALMART sells. It is green in color and has the capacity to hold the 16 to 17 qts that my Cummins diesel requires. Not really expensive, under $20. I carry it with us on all our travels and use it to store items that I need to maintain the coach. Good value.
Check it out.
Regards,
JimB

PS: When you drain the engine completely, close the oil pan drain plug, place the green oil drain pan on a bucket, you can pour all the old oil into the new oil jugs. Has work for me for 10 years. Take the old oil to ADVANCE AUTO for disposal.
I'm looking at 34 qts so that won't work for me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clean undercarriage 1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	75032  
Old 09-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I also save large pieces of cardboard that come with items I buy. I lay them on the ground under the engine. Any spills are easily dealt with
LOL! Yeah I use a lot of cardboard on my CTD. The oil is like ink and it stains!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I use a mortar mixing tub, available at Lowes or Depot. They are low but hold a lot.

I use one that is 26x20 for my Cummins ISL (24 quarts) but Lowes has one that is 36x24 for those really big block diesels.

Shop MacCourt 26-in x 20-in High Density Polyethylene Small Black All Purpose Tub at Lowes.com
http://reviews.lowes.com/0534/1226689/reviews.htm

The downside is that I have to scoop the oil back out to put it in jugs for recycling. I scoop until the level gets low enough to conveniently lift and pour the rest. One of these days I may insert a valve in the tub.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use this for my CTD and it works fairly well but just doesn't have the capacity I need...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4621.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	75034  
Old 09-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #10

I bought a 55 gal. barrel metal or plastic cut at i 1st ring from either end, which lets it hold about 15 gal of oil, then put in 5 gal buckets, to take to reciyler.
Plastic works best can cut with saber saw if you don.t have a way to cut metal. Cost aroundKCMO area 10 to 15 dollars look on Craigs list.
Ben.
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to smoker
I use a galvanized wash tub, don't have to worry about it running over and no oil spills, will hold at least 40 quarts and is not as high a a 5 gallon bucket. Also can do the oil filter with it.

Smoker
smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #12

Ramps

I also made drive on ramps with 2x12 lumber, them are 4 levels 1st is 3 1/2 ft long 2nd is 3ft 3rd is2ft 4th is 2ft, put a 45 degree bevel on 1 end of each and screw together. You will need to make 4 to support both set of duels. My 295/80/22.5s fit perfect,With smaller tires you might be able to use 2x10s.

Hope this helps
Ben
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
KIX

I use a Fumoto valve and have for the last 9 or 10 years. IMHO you really don't need to worry too much about road debris shearing the valve but I do understand your concern. The Fumoto is pretty hand to drain a gallon at a time and avoid clean up of the drain pan too.
You can use a shop vacuum holding the suction hose to the oil filler hole on the engine. With the vacuum running remove the drain plug and insert a Fumoto. Then put the drain plug back in after you have finished draining the oil. You won't lose a drop as long as the vacuum "connection" is wrapped with a rag to sort of seal it.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
My previous coach had the CAT C7 so only 19 quarts. No problem as all would fit into a 5 gal drain pan. Our new coach with the ISL has 28 quarts and on the first oil change I purchased a Fumoto valve and during the oil change, I used the 5 gal drain pan and stopped the draining when the pan was almost full. This however, created an oil stream down my arm and all over everything. After cleaning myself up, I removed the plug again and finished the drain. I then installed the Fumoto valve so next time I'll just fill the jugs that I emptied this time. No more mess for me!

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service