Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Dometic 1402 Doesn't Cool While Driving

My Dometic works fine on gas or electric while parked.

I set on 3 and the freezer runs between 0 to 2 degrees and the refrigerator holds a pretty constant 34 degrees.

The problem begins when I drive down the road. It begins to warm up, by the time I get to my next stop 8 hours later the freezer is at 16 and the refr is at 50 degrees.

I've had the Dometic recommended upgrade (fan moved higher), I've the unit taken out and reinstalled correctly (clearances tightened up).

I assume the problem is that the unit is in a slide and therefore doesn't have a chimney that goes straight but rather curves out the side. THis provides an opportunity for the hot air to become trapped. I also assume the air flow throughout the 2 vents on the side of the MH is probably disturbed while driving interrupting the cool in and hot out process.

Has anybody found a workable solution to this issue?

I have ben thinking about installing to larger fans, one on the intake and one on the exhaust vents on the side of the MH. Hoping it will improve the airflow will driving.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need to look in the top vent there should be a baffle up there to direct the heated aid from rear of fridge to the outside of top vent.
Some have also found the insulation on top of fridge has shifted and will slide into the top vent opening blocking the rear vent area.
One last thing is that the cold air in the box of fridge has some sealant around the cooling coils when sealed into box missing and the vacuum cause while you move down road is sucking out your cold air.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have the same unit. For about the last 18 months, when ours is on "3" the temps were 3 and 39/40. Recently, when on 3 the temps have changed to 6/7 and 40. Nothing else has changed other than we had the water drain hose in the rear changed which required the unit to be totally disconnected and moved into the coach to get at the rear. I've had the two back vents off and all looks okay.

My temps are almost the same whether on elect or gas...they do run a bit warmer when on the road and on propane, but not as warm as yours.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

You might try keeping your unit's condensation line submerged under a little added water in the drain cup. This prevents outside warm air from moving up the line onto the cooling fins while under way. It also aids in slowing frost accumulation on the fins as well. I use distilled water to keep the deposits at bay inside the drain cup. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
THanks for the replies everyone. I will try each suggestion, and see if I can correct the issue.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sdennislee, May sound crazy but have you checked the gas flame with your engine running? does it maybe shut the gas off? It should not but....

Mike
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
sdennislee, May sound crazy but have you checked the gas flame with your engine running? does it maybe shut the gas off? It should not but....

Mike
Yes I did check, thought it was crazy myself but had to explore all options. THe flame burns fine with the engine running.

I'm convinced it has something to do with the eddys set up in the airflow through the vents while driving.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are not alone. I have the same unit with the same problem. Dometic says the unit should have never been placed in a slide. Fleetwood has added fans, checked the seals, etc. When at the factory last year, there were 4 other RVs there with the exact same problem. We've tried running with the generator on to power with 120 V AC. Nothing seems to fix the issue. Mine runs 0/36 when parked.

I'm going to give up and replace mine with a residential unit next year. DW is sick and tired of the problem.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezhead View Post
You are not alone. I have the same unit with the same problem. Dometic says the unit should have never been placed in a slide. Fleetwood has added fans, checked the seals, etc. When at the factory last year, there were 4 other RVs there with the exact same problem. We've tried running with the generator on to power with 120 V AC. Nothing seems to fix the issue. Mine runs 0/36 when parked.

I'm going to give up and replace mine with a residential unit next year. DW is sick and tired of the problem.
Very tempted to do the same.

Tags
dometic