Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry Dometic Customer Service - Non-existent!

Hi - so our Dometic Model RM3862 in our '97 Motor Home works great but only on AC.

I did the straight-forward things of cleaning the burner, etc...but it is lighting - but extinquishing immediately...figured it's the thermocouple..

We were on the road at the Fleetwood rally but missed the Dometic guys (our fault) so we visited Sullivan RV in Decatur - they were nice there - busy but took a look and after over an hour of trouble shooting with the manual, including a change of the thermocouple and the it's associated circuit card, it still performed the same - it lights but goes out immediately - when the thermocouple loop is removed from the PCB it stays lit...so the tech was a bit confused as he thought that was the entire circuit for that functionality so he wanted to call Dometic but he was 6th in line and we had already lost about 2 1/2 hours waiting (which they were real nice to squeeze us in and the tech was knowledgeable) so we said put our parts back (which he had metered and verified were appearing to function the same as the new ones) and only charged us for a 1/2 hour...which was nice cause I was worried they'd hit us for the full time -

The tech said he would call Dometic today because he was interested in why, but he really has no incentive since I'm in Cleveland and he's in Indiana - so I tried to call them and after 25 minutes of waiting spoke with a nice lady who after I explained that all I just described (my maintenance - a professional's attempt, etc) she said umm several times and that she's not technical and that I have to take it to another dealer to have them call with a number so they can speak with someone who apparently is knowledgeable...so I asked - I'm not able to speak to anyone? and she said 'no' - which I was like oh - okay - why not...? Well apparently they don't have any 'field tech's' or customer support - she almost made it seem that they don't have any but then she said dealers talk to the warranty department - I explained that this is NOT a warranty, the unit is old, but we (myself and a pro) have done all the trouble shooting that appears to be able to be done (at my expense) and it still won't work - can't someone provide me a bit of guidance - again 'no' was the response....She wasn't even sure whom I was referring too was at the Fleetwood rally - she said 'maybe a salesman' again sort of matter-of-factly and implying that this troubleshooting knowledge is rare and such...she apparently doesn't know who knows what within the company or how they as the company are supporting (or not) the industry, yet she's the customer service contact that you speak with after waiting in line...are they that big? - I think that's strange at best to me thus why I wrote this.

I was nice but explained to her that I think that is bad business - she said I have to use a dealer so here we go again with more $$ and I'm unable to perform any of this myself or even simply gain some insight - I'm not allowed to know...I asked her if they had had layoffs or a downturn and she said no, we've never had the people - a shame but here's an American company that won't support it's product to it's buyers...they could easily screen the calls and say look - tech advice is $x - I even offered to pay to speak to someone (kinda crazy but it is 2012) but she still said no...

...so I said thanks and she wished me a good day...

even though I will have a good day, it's not due to anything she wished me or helped me with - what a shame...I simply hit apathy with Dometic's response to my respectful and kind inquiry - I know these aren't inexpensive so therefore I do know if/when I need a new one, if there is an available substitute I will make that choice at that time...thought you all should know...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, many of us have gotten the same response from Dometic. "GO TO THE DEALER." It's frustrating, but I believe several of the suppliers give the same response. I hope you get your fridge fixed.

I Googled Dometic refrigerator problems and got lots of info. You might sift through some of this... DOMETIC PROBLEMS
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Your experience is normal for Dometic.

They will not deal with customers other than directing you to a service center.

Service techs say that Dometic is extremely difficult to work with. The techs have to test or try repairs in the order that Dometic dictates.

When my Dometic fridge suddenly would not cool below 50*, I took my MH to a local Newmar dealer, who is a Dometic authorized service center.

Dometic: adjust this and wait a couple of days and see if that fixes it.

Didn't work.

Dometic: adjust that and wait a couple of days and see if that fixes it.

Didn't work.

Dometic: install 2 more cooling fans behind fridge at my expense. (already had 2)

Would have been several hundred dollars. I left as I had an appointment for other service at the Newmar factory.

Newmar's tech, who used to work for Dometic, determined the cooling unit was bad.

Dometic: we'll send a new cooling unit, but it will take 5 weeks.

Newmar: not acceptable for our customer (me) to wait 5 weeks.

Dometic: that's all we can do.

Newmar: kicked it up to Newmar management who called Dometic management and said if you don't have a cooling unit, send a new fridge.

A new fridge was installed the next day.

It was only because Newmar is a big Dometic customer, that they were able to get results.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem is Dometic ( and many others) do not have the technical expertise to properly handle problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What a shame that a company that has such deep penetration and standing in the industry has such little process-thought for this what I think is a critical element of the industry - however -

I detect huge gaps in the entire industry regarding service and support which is a shame...as us baby-boomers begin to discover how great they are (Class A's) the industry is bound to grow to what I think a much larger industry - I think it's time to start some type of RV company -I predict large growth and with this experience with Dometic, I can only hope that new companies emerge that will put the complacent ones in jeapardy...

It's a niche market but I believe it's certainly a growth market - these 'big' guys are going to get caught off guard...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstpoet View Post
What a shame that a company that has such deep penetration and standing in the industry has such little process-thought for this what I think is a critical element of the industry - however -

I detect huge gaps in the entire industry regarding service and support which is a shame...as us baby-boomers begin to discover how great they are (Class A's) the industry is bound to grow to what I think a much larger industry - I think it's time to start some type of RV company -I predict large growth and with this experience with Dometic, I can only hope that new companies emerge that will put the complacent ones in jeapardy...

It's a niche market but I believe it's certainly a growth market - these 'big' guys are going to get caught off guard...

+1

The RV fridge market could use an infusion of customer service and technology. It seems that these devices are prone to fail, sometimes with catastrophic consequences, and are often replaced with residential alternatives. I too hope someone sees this and fills the gap.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a US Company

I didn't think they were a US based company. I found this on their corporate website:

Dometic Group
Hemvärnsgatan 15, 6th floor
171 54 Solna Sweden
Tel +46 8 501 025 00

Remember when stuff made in Sweden was excellent quality? it's not made there anymore.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I didn't think they were a US based company. I found this on their corporate website:

Dometic Group
Hemvärnsgatan 15, 6th floor
171 54 Solna Sweden
Tel +46 8 501 025 00

Remember when stuff made in Sweden was excellent quality? it's not made there anymore.
Thank you - I wrote their customer support folks and also the sales folks - they should be concerned I would think but they also can't be blind to this...maybe I can find an email for the Sweden folks...?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #9

Just to let you know that I have and am going through basically the same dilema with awnings I bought. I ran into the field manager at the Louisville Rally and she has been very understanding but I have a feeling that I am going to hear those immortal words of ` Sorry you are out of the warranty period` So I wiil pass the name and info if you require them. Maybe she could help you in someway.
stanfranzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

Probably the Very Best RV Appliance Technican I have ever had the good fortune to find is a guy named John at Laurelhurst Plumbing and Heating is east Portland Oregon. The guy is amazing!!! And they are the factory warrenty center, and they rebuild and sell a lot of RV Appliances.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Dometic has USA headquarters for RV products;

Customer Support Center
P.O. Box 490
Elkhart, IN 46515
Phone: 1-800-544-4881
CustomerSupportCenter@DometicUSA.com

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #12

I had similar issues with my fridge. Either this forum or rvforum.net had a trouble shooting guide and I was able to pin point the circuit board was shot. Anyrvparts.com had the board(updated version) at half the dealer cost including shipping and I was back in business within 2 days.

Good Luck
Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last week I got 3 new window awning covers to replace my worn out ones. I email customer support on how to change them out. Within 2 hours they sent me a PDF on how to do it. Thought that was fast customer service.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #14

Your problem is still probably your circuit board, and the trouble is the Dometic boards are very poor quality. Dinosaur circuit boards are much better quality, easily available, and much less expensive. Ask your tech to contact Dinosaur to discuss your problems. They have helped me in the past.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, service