Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #1

Dometic NDR 1292 is very cold, was it updated?

Morning and good day to all. We have our new to us 2000 CC. I have been reading a lot about updating our cooling unit with an amish built or similar heavy duty cooling unit replacement. Our coach winters in Ocala so the temps aren't really hight in the winter but our fridge is set on 4 (out of 5) and we have to defrost fridge side at least twice in 5 months. Our coach had a lot of updates in 2008 as to the receipts in the folder that came with the coach. Nothing noted of a new cooling unit. So the question is, how can I tell if this cooling unit has been replaced? Fridge is cooling beyond belief according to what I have read on here. I am tempted to replace stock unit but, it is cooling so well I am not sure on the course of action.

Any input would be great!
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Smile

Good heavens! Why would you even consider replacing a fridge that works well? Just because somebody else's fridge does not?

One of the largest variables with RV absorption fridges is the installation, which can and often does dramatically affect the air flow over the cooling unit. That in turn helps or harms the cooling. Yours is obviously well and properly done!

I had a Norcold 1200 for 12 years. Numerous people complained about their "No Cold" fridges, but mine kept ice cream frozen solid and the beer icy. Freezer ran at about -10 and the fridge in the 30-38 degree range, with the control set at 4 (out of 10). Hard to beat that kind of performance. I just replaced it with a residential fridge a couple months ago, when it began to act flaky (over heating faults and not so good cooling).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
So the question is, how can I tell if this cooling unit has been replaced? Any input would be great!
Look at the back of the fridge for the cooling unit coils. If they are painted white, then chances are it's been changed out for an Amish cooling unit. Below is photo of one on a Norcold unit for comparison. It may also have a label on it saying "Dutch Aire" or "Pines Refrigeration". As stated above, even if it's not an Amish, I wouldn't change it out as long as the other one is cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmishRear.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	125641  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #5

Yes it certainly does work well on LP and ac. I just have the usual fire fears as to which we lost a coach last year. It wasn't the fridge it was wiring in the ceiling to the front ac. Still don't understand how that happened but no one was hurt or animals.
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 04-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with Jerry and Gary. I'll replace it when it dies, not before.

That said, I was worried about fire reports attributed to these units, so despite having all of the Norcold factory updates, I recently had one of these installed: https://www.arprv.com/absorption-ref...controller.php
I also opted for the blower option to incrase airflow in the back of the cabinet. The fridge works a little better and I sleep better, too.

BTW, Gorilla tape makes a dandy seal repair.

Cheers,
Old 05-01-2016, 01:29 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
I'm with Jerry and Gary. I'll replace it when it dies, not before.

That said, I was worried about fire reports attributed to these units, so despite having all of the Norcold factory updates, I recently had one of these installed: https://www.arprv.com/absorption-ref...controller.php
I also opted for the blower option to incrase airflow in the back of the cabinet. The fridge works a little better and I sleep better, too.

BTW, Gorilla tape makes a dandy seal repair.

Cheers,
I got to thinking about how many times I stopped at rest areas and walmarts just to sleep for a few hours and I did not bother to level the RV. I did a diy install of the arprv device and I do sleep better knowing the frig will be shut down before the frig get hot enough to destroy itself or cause a fire.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #8

I have seen the arpv controller and read a lot about it. I am actually very interested in this unit. Fan controller would be a plus as any added ventilation is great.

For those of you who have installed this unit themselves, can you give me a basic idea. Do you have to pull the fridge out to install it? Is removing the fridge a pain in the ass?

I also have seen links to this site which offers these units, plus the auto deploy extinguisher. I have read that people put these extinguishers in their fridge compartment and engine compartment. Halon Fire Extinguishers - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 05-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Should be no need to remove the fridge to install it, but it depends a bit on your particular RV and how the fridge is designed. You need to be able to get at the tube just above the boiler to place the heat sensor and sometimes the RV maker conspires to make that awkward. I had no problem putting mine in (Norcold 1200), but have seen a few where it can be a struggle.

Lots of installation info and pictures at https://www.arprv.com/index.php
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic