Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

Dometic Power Pro Awning

We are staying at a nice RV park on Galveston with a great view of the gulf from the front window and outside. But the passenger side faces the setting Sun. Although I have the wind sensor turned off the awning still bounces around some in the breeze. Does not do much to block the sun since it is so high and comes straight out. I have noticed 2 or 3 other MH's with the same Dometic Power Pro awning as mine. They have a 10' to 15' Patio Shade screen attached to the awning rail that is then staked to the ground. They also have a long section of nylon cord with bungee straps at the bottom attached to the end of each awning rail that is also staked to the ground. Sun is blocked and no bounce in the awning. They leave these set up around the clock. Does anyone have experience with this et up. I am going to be here for 2 weeks I would like to try this. Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have the shadepro awning shade (ShadePro Inc.) that I set up similar to what you describe. I've staked it and my awning down at the Outer Banks where wind is often pretty stiff. It will probably take more wind than I give it credit for. I will stow my awning if the winds are forecast to exceed 20 mph.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I have the shadepro awning shade (ShadePro Inc.) that I set up similar to what you describe. I've staked it and my awning down at the Outer Banks where wind is often pretty stiff. It will probably take more wind than I give it credit for. I will stow my awning if the winds are forecast to exceed 20 mph.
That looks good. How does the section that stays attached to awning tube workout when the awning is rolled up. Does it cause any issues in the rolled up stowed position. What length did you get, I was thing of 7"

Thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The section that stays attached to the roller tube is 2 ft (IIRC). It rolls right up with the rest of the awning with no problem whatsoever.

On mine, it is 9 ft from the bottom of the roller to the ground. I ordered an 8 ft shade. 7 ft would have been fine.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the same awning setup and also utilize a ShadePro. We have left the awning up for months at a time and it handles the winds just fine. Although when we had thunderstorm warnings for the area we will simply unzip the lower portion of the ShadePro and roll up the awning. Takes about two minutes.

We did have a problem with rain water gathering on the awning and causing it to drop when the slide adjustments on the support arms would slip but found the solution. While up on a ladder I noticed that with the awning deployed all the way out the awning fabric was actually not on top of the roller tube but fabric slot was at the side thus not allowing the water to drain over the roller tube. (Hard to explain) The solution was to wind the awning in 1/4 turn of the awning tube which puts the awning fabric on top of the tube and now the rain can run off.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
The section that stays attached to the roller tube is 2 ft (IIRC). It rolls right up with the rest of the awning with no problem whatsoever.

On mine, it is 9 ft from the bottom of the roller to the ground. I ordered an 8 ft shade. 7 ft would have been fine.

I ordered it this morning be here Friday. Thanks. Don
Old 04-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
OK I picked up some nylon cord and some bungee cords. Let the awning out all the way and attached a cord to each end at the top and a bubgee cord attached to a screw-in stake in the ground and then tightened the cord to the bungee with a couple of half hitch knots. Secure but stoll a little give with the bungee cords. Worked fine in a good breeze. The wind picked up a little here off the beach and and I got a little concerned. Although the awning was still in position and not bouncing up and down I waited until the wind settled a little and then undid the cords and closing the awning. A little wussy I guess. I will try again later if the wind settles down. We are in for a change in the weather here and the wind has been coming from the south and now it turning and starting to come through the north a little. Cooler dryer weather for a few days.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
OK I picked up some nylon cord and some bungee cords. Let the awning out all the way and attached a cord to each end at the top and a bubgee cord attached to a screw-in stake in the ground and then tightened the cord to the bungee with a couple of half hitch knots. Secure but stoll a little give with the bungee cords. Worked fine in a good breeze. The wind picked up a little here off the beach and and I got a little concerned. Although the awning was still in position and not bouncing up and down I waited until the wind settled a little and then undid the cords and closed the awning. A little wussy I guess. I will try again later if the wind settles down. We are in for a change in the weather here and the wind has been coming from the south and now it turning and starting to come through the north a little. Cooler dryer weather for a few days.

Tags
awning, dometic, power