Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Unhappy Dometic refrig/ icemaker problem

I just finished a week on the road with a GFI continually popping off and losing most of the coaches electrical receptacles. I found my Dometic 2 door fridge when plugged into the labeled receptacle does not pop the GFI but when the icemaker is plugged in its' receptacle immediately above the refrig outlet it pops the GFI. I had a mobile RV repairman look at the problem. He replaced the GFI with no change. He originally thought it was a bad coil on the refrig but the refrig alone does not pop the GFI. I am wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem and what solution was found? The coach is a Monaco Camelot 2008.

fastcarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The ice maker is generally easy to remove so you can bench test it to see if it works properly. You could also try plugging the ice maker into an outlet not GFI protected. Also check that the solenoid valve that controls water flow isn't the problem.

Either part is easy to replace if bad. Any Appliance parts store should be able to give you a replacement unit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a short has developed in the ice maker wiring. Follow BFlinn181's advice and you will probably find your problem.
Terrence D. Yount
2004 Tiffin Allegro Bay 36' LB
2008 Ford Fusion SE
tdyltc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have you tried switching the plugs. That is, plug the ice maker into the other outlet slot.

Where is this gfci located?

The ice maker is easy enough to remove although a bit tedious. Remove it and power things back up. If it does not cause the gfci to trip you should be able to find a replacement at Home Depot or Lowes.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Dometic refrig/ icemaker problem

Thank you for the suggestions. In response to the questions: the GFI is located just under front of the vanity sink. I tried switching the refrig and ice maker receptacles and the icemaker still blew the GFI. I have not tried plugging the icemaker into a non GFI circuit. I will have to find one and try it.
fastcarbon is offline   Reply With Quote