Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dometic Refrigerator Drainage Hose

Hi Guys and Ladies
I have a drain hose on my refrigerator that has been cracking and breaking due to age--heat--. I have been adding to the hose last couple years but now it is very brittle higher up. I have called a RV supplier and the hose is cheap but I can not find how to remove the drip cup inside the fridge. I do nor want to just pull on it and snap it. Has any of you fine people replaced this hose on your fridge?

Pitbull

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Many have. Easiest way is to pull screws holding the refr down, and move it out 6" to a foot. Then you reach up from the back and replace it.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a thread on it here Dometic NDA1402 Refrig Question
I am getting ready to pull mine and replace it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks alot----you guys are the best----I can not believe why they would supply such a cheap hose and have to remove the fridge to change it.

Thanks again

Pitbull
Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

What refr do you have?
It's not Dometic's fault that you have to push the refr out some, that is the RV builder's fault.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is a RM2852 and it is their fault for such a cheap drain hose that gets brittle due to heat from the condenser. I have 40 years experience in the industrial and commercial refrigeration market as a tech----so I have seen some crap in my day and this hose is crap.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #7

I understand and agree the hose is cheap. BUT they made it easily replaceable if it was installed a certain way.

I'm not arguing, simply stating. Trust me, I've changed plenty.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

The only thing holding the condensate tray in place is the hose clamp on the hose slipped over the tray nipple. It may be pulled out enough to slide the clamp back on the hose. Once the clamp and tray are removed the hose is an interference-fit in the hole (to prevent air leakage). I haven't replace our hose yet, but it needs replacing. Some years ago someone here posted how they replaced theirs. I seem to remember they pushed the old hose out(from inside the frig) with the new one by placing a short piece of wood doweling inside the hoses to keep them in alignment. I'll try that when the weather get warm enough for working the hose__. Gonna be 5*F the next two nights, below freezing in daytime. If it doesn't work, well, I would've had to pull the frig otherwise anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Many have. Easiest way is to pull screws holding the refr down, and move it out 6" to a foot. Then you reach up from the back and replace it.
That's how mine was replaced.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
It is a RM2852 and it is their fault for such a cheap drain hose that gets brittle due to heat from the condenser. I have 40 years experience in the industrial and commercial refrigeration market as a tech----so I have seen some crap in my day and this hose is crap.
I agree. The hose they put in our TTs was absolute garbage and crumbled when you touched it. It is an especially bad choice in that case because it drained out of the access vent panel. It had snapped on me when I replaced the panel and I didn't know it until after a camping trip. Thank goodness I always checked it and noticed no water was coming out.

The drains on the fridge in our 15 year old coach are plumbed and drain through the floor and amazingly are in perfect condition. I'm sure Fleetwood did that and it probably cost a whopping $10 more to do it that way.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess it depends on what make and model you have if you can change from inside----I asked a service tech who said the fridge has to come out. I will give it a closer look---please let me know how you make out.
I slipped a larger hose over the brittle hose for now to take away the condensate.

Pitbull
Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

Here is a video on replacing your condensate drain tube. Great Info and remember to P-trap your tubing to prevent air infiltration back into your refrigerator.
FVRTC No 5 Part II of No 3 RV Dometic - Norcold -Atwood-RV Refrigerator Condensation Drain - - YouTube
Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #13

The Dometic side-by-side refrigerator drain hose in our 2005 Fleetwood Bounder has also started to leak. Only a problem when defrosting when we get water on the kitchen floor. The refrig has a removeable tray below the cooling fins with a short drain spout that drains into the cup at the back of the refrig. From there it goes out the drain hose. I removed the tray and reversed it which brings the spout out away from the refrig back wall/drain cup. Then I attached a length of clear 1/2" hose - available from Home Depot plumbing dept - and put the other end in a bucket. Defrost water drains into the bucket. After defrosting I detach the hose (it's a push-on, no clamp needed) and put the tray back to its normal position. Only takes a minute and solves the water problem - at least for now. By the way, we have a couple of 12V clip-on fans that came with the coach. I attach them to a bottom refrig shelf when defrosting and the whole process finishes in a few minutes.

Tags
dometic, refrigerator