Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #1

Dometic Seven color led awning lights?

Anyone have these that can comment on them?

Can you add a dimmer to them?

I know there are cheaper options however I am having difficulty finding a kit that has an rf controller with dimmer and I need a 20-25 foot wire to get from end of strip to the outlet I would like to use. I don't want to drill holes in a brand new coach.

Thanks for the help!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This months Motorhome magazine did an install article on multicolor LED lights. Not sure if they were from Dometic. Check out the article.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #3

I read the article and it is why I like this set. It is the dometic lights. Has the rf remote and extra 25 foot lead wire to run it wherever you want if you aren't hard wiring near the strip.

The only issue I have with this set is they are extremely bright and do not come with a dimming function. I am trying to figure out what kind of dimmer people have installed that is compatible with it and works from a remote.

Anyone do this particular set and buy a dimmer?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dimmers: There are two kinds of LED current limiters, one is a simple resistor, with this type of current limiter simply increasing the resistance will dim the lights. (or lowering the supply voltage) I run some 12 volt LED assemblies on 5 volts and they work well.

The other is a current limiter, I'm not sure how they will respond to a simple resistive dimmer, but a PWM type might work with those.. (Pulse Width Modulation) Can not help you with brands though.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using LEDs for years now. The adhesive backed strips are great. I have replaced about 75% of our basement lights with them. There are a lot of sellers on Ebay that have what you need to set up awning lights.
First is an RGB controller WITH dimming feature and remote control $21.88
Supernightâ„¢ Touch Controller DC12V 24V 18A RF Wireless LED Dimmer for RGB Strip | eBay

Next is RGB light strip, waterproof with adhesive back $16.97
5050 SMD RGB 5M Waterproof 300 LED Flexible Light Strip | eBay

Also make sure to get the connector for the end of the LED strip for easy install.
A lot cheaper than the Dometic.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afc-Jr View Post
I have been using LEDs for years now. The adhesive backed strips are great. I have replaced about 75% of our basement lights with them. There are a lot of sellers on Ebay that have what you need to set up awning lights.
First is an RGB controller WITH dimming feature and remote control $21.88
Supernightâ„¢ Touch Controller DC12V 24V 18A RF Wireless LED Dimmer for RGB Strip | eBay

Next is RGB light strip, waterproof with adhesive back $16.97
5050 SMD RGB 5M Waterproof 300 LED Flexible Light Strip | eBay

Also make sure to get the connector for the end of the LED strip for easy install.
A lot cheaper than the Dometic.
Do you know if you can get the long lead wire with connector for the the strip? The domestic comes with - 25 foot white insulated wire to connect to the light strip. I am running this under my coach and to one of my most rear bays on drivers side where batteries and extra outlet is located. I definitely need that long wire
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You can get wire like is used for security systems it is widely available and inexpensive.
Look for 22 ga solid copper conductor, this will keep the outside diameter down to around 1/4" making easy to hide and work with. I have used lighter wire but only on short runs.

The connector for the end of the strip is just a clip on plastic piece. I think I pay about $4 for a bag of them (10). Once you get started with the LEDs it is hard to stop. I have converted most of my storage bays to LED using 50-50 white LED strips.
I just remove the lens on each light, take out the old fluorescent fixture and replace with two strips of LEDs. They give off as much light as the old with much less current draw and last forever. Plus you can do it for less than the cost of one new fluorescent tube.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Some folks a couple sites down from me had some that rolled from one color to the next continuously. The changing colors made my brain hurt.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I installed the cheap Chinese ones from Ebay. They come with remotes with dimming. Work great too. Cheaper than paying CW a hundred bucks for the same stuff.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, lights