Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Being in the Insurance Industry as a Restoration Contractor, I've seen it a hundred times.

This is probably how it went down:

Camping World has a fire.
Out of good faith, they contact the OP and advise the situation and say they will look after everything.
Camping World finally has their insurance look into the whole situation and they advise them that the OP's property is not insured by Camping World's insurance.
Camping World now has to go back to OP because of the way insurance works and advise OP he needs to contact his insurance.
OP is PO'd because he doesn't want to involve his insurance and ruin his claims free status.

What the OP needs to do is inact his own insurance claim.
He may have to pay his deductible, however, his own insurance will endeavor to subrogate against Camping Worlds Insurer.
If the OPs insurance company is successful, the OP may end up not have a mark on his claim history and even have his deductible returned.

Yes it happened on Camping World's property, however, the proper process has to be followed. In order to subrogate, you have to prove negligence.
If Camping World was not negligent and fire happened accidently, it's likely that they would be no more at fault than the OP and victims of the unfortunate incident like the OP.
The OP's insurance will either request a copy of the investigation results or have their own causation investigator attend.
The result of the investigation will prove liability.

That's the way I see it anyways.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Being in the Insurance Industry as a Restoration Contractor, I've seen it a hundred times.

Out of good faith, they contact the OP and advise the situation and say they will look after everything.
Camping World finally has their insurance look into the whole situation and they advise them that the OP's property is not insured by Camping World's insurance.
Camping World now has to go back to OP because of the way insurance works and advise OP he needs to contact his insurance.
OP is PO'd because he doesn't want to involve his insurance and ruin his claims free status.

He may have to pay his deductible, however, his own insurance will endeavor to subrogate against Camping Worlds Insurer.
If the OPs insurance company is successful, the OP may end up not have a mark on his claim history and even have his deductible returned.

Yes it happened on Camping World's property, however, the proper process has to be followed. In order to subrogate, you have to prove negligence.
If Camping World was not negligent and fire happened accidently, it's likely that they would be no more at fault than the OP and victims of the unfortunate incident like the OP.
The OP's insurance will either request a copy of the investigation results or have their own causation investigator attend.
The result of the investigation will prove liability (if any).

That's exactly the way I would see it. Owners insurance is the one that covers the loss. Depending on circumstances they may (or may not) go after the other party. Its the same way at a car dealership. If you have your car in for service and someone breaks into your car and damages it on the lot or someone hits it or whatever, the dealers insurance is not covering the damage. The vehicle owners insurance does. Its the insurance that covers that vehicle.
jt

Old 08-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #17

Quote:

Exactly right as far as subrogation goes. I use to work for Farmers Insurance and even if you are not at fault, you file your insurance, pay deductible, and you get your vehicle fixed. Your insurance company goes after CW insurance to get their/your deductible back.

It even happened to me. I got hit by a so called insured person but he denied he was at fault. Police said he was at fault and so did police report. I filed my claim, body shop waved my deductible, and I got my car fixed.

About 6 months later I got a letter from my insurance company stating they subrogated the case and got their money back. Even offered to return my deductible but I told them the body shop waved it.

Yes it does take a long time AFTER the incident to get you money/deductible back but it does happen.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I owned a computer store and my insurance company would not cover any computers that were in my store for repair.

It didn't matter what happened to them...fire, theft, etc they would not cover them.

Nothing ever happened so I was a happy camper.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #19

I'm not sure of what caused the fire but I doubt it's an act of God, like a hail storm Is considered. Therefore, CW is most likely responsible. You can have your insurance handle the claim and they should pursue a subrogation claim against all negligent third-parties to recover the cost of the claim as well as your deductible. This could be action against CW or a vendor or other third-party that was found to be at fault on contributed (vendor for faulty propane hookup as an example). In addition to your personal insurer pursuing a recovery, you can also hire an attorney for other damages or losses that your insurance company may not cover, like out of pocket expenses for your cancelled trip, emotional distress due CW's poor handling,etc. etc.

Personally, I would consider putting their President and General Counsel on notice of your complaint and claim via a CERTIFIED return receipt letter ( a separate certified letter to each). Obtain a copy of the fire investigation, include it in your letter, identify the damage and estimate, and clearly advise them in the letter that you believe that they are responsible and negligent. I would also advise them that you believe that they are acting in bad faith and their corporate handling of this insurance matter is obviously a corporate bad faith business practice, especially after being told by the GM that it would be taken care of by CW. In your letter include all names of CW representatives that you spoke to, along with dates and times. Advise them of your intention to pursue legal action against them as well as any intention that you may have with pursuing any consumer protection agency actions. Provide them with your address and phone number and demand that a CW executive with authority to resolve this matter contact you within 30 days of the date of the letter.

Prior to you sending them a letter, I might suggest that you also place a phone call directly to the President and/or CEO which will most likely be intercepted by an Assistant but leave a message requesting a return call. Do this several times if necessary. Prior to sending a letter, I would also suggest you make an appointment with the local GM to discuss this face to face. If he will not make an appointment or refuses to engage, you might consider just showing up and request to see him. I find the power of a face to face confrontation to be extremely effective with resolving conflicts. Assuming that none of this results in any engagement by CW personnel, include each of your documented efforts to talk and/or meet with CW to amicably resolve this matter in your certified letter. I suggest you be professional in your actions. In my experience, this type of consistent effort generally provides results. CW will realize that you know how to pursue action and that you are serious. In a nutshell, people don't want to confront you or deal with a persistent claimant, especially if they are at fault, and will most likely try and resolve the matter before having to involve any litigation.

Personally, I NEVER do any business with CW due to their poor customer service and reputation, at least in Denver. Good luck with your insurance claim and I apologize for the lengthy response.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #20

To the OP,
I think it is unfair of you to title your post the way you have and lay blame to CW without doing some good research into why this issue unfolded the way it did. (Very good post by Dogpatch)
The first thing you should have done was to contact your insurance provider whom you pay to work on your behalf. The reason we all carry insurance is to protect us from loss in events such as these that are beyond our control.

I have dealt with CW in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Get a copy of the fire report. It is probably too late to get your own cause & origin expert out there.

The OP's camper was under the care, custody and control of Camping World. They had a duty to protect it as it was in a bailment situation.

Yes, I agree on all parts of the above. By all rights, their liability carrier should be handling the claim. However, if you want things done fast, then it would probably be best to go through your own insurer (although it grates on you) and pay the deductible and let them subrogate. If successful (I don't see why they shouldn't be), you will get your deductible back. If need be, they can sue Camping World and pay for attorneys as part of the subrogation process.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 08-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #22

I fully agree with Dennis there's always two sides to every story.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #23

I don't agree with Dennis. The OP is blowing off steam and trying to get some sense in the matter.

One of the benefits of this forum and others is to blow off steam and hope his fellow forum members can direct one on a right path. Also, per reading the responses, very few people know about subrogation.

So ensure you list the facts but state them anyway you want. After all we fought to give you the right to say what you want. Or at least that is what the President says we did.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
I don't agree with Dennis. The OP is blowing off steam and trying to get some sense in the matter.

One of the benefits of this forum and others is to blow off steam and hope his fellow forum members can direct one on a right path. Also, per reading the responses, very few people know about subrogation.

So ensure you list the facts but state them anyway you want. After all we fought to give you the right to say what you want. Or at least that is what the President says we did.
Yes, I agree.

Camping World did not handle this right from the get-go. They should have given the OP the name of their insurer, the claim and policy numbers and claim contact information instead of giving him the runaround. They had a duty to do so. It is not an admission of liability in doing so on their part. It is up to their insurer to decide on the merits of the claim and Camping World can go about their business after showing good faith in providing the pertinent information.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 08-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #25

Camping World is probably a member of the BBB.

A car dealership did minor damage my car while in service. They refused to fix their damage. I called the BBB to file a complaint. Once I was aware of the process to file a complaint against a BBB member I gave up. The BBB makes it difficult to file a complaint against a BBB member.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #26
epj

CW is a new and used RV dealer, not much different from a car dealer. You see where this is going.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Camping World is probably a member of the BBB.

A car dealership did minor damage my car while in service. They refused to fix their damage. I called the BBB to file a complaint. Once I was aware of the process to file a complaint against a BBB member I gave up. The BBB makes it difficult to file a complaint against a BBB member.
I just went on line to BBB when I filed a complaint against my MH dealer and did everything on line. It took about 10 minutes.

Never tried calling them as all I got was a recording telling me about the on line site.

Some dealers are members of BBB and some are not. If they are not they don't care anyway.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More legalize for corrupt companies. The law is suppose to protect people and companies, not allow them to ignore what they are responsible for. That's why our court system is rotten. Whoever has the most monies, make the laws. So much for for the people, by the people. Best of luck, but I have the funny feeling you will be paying the deductable if you want your unit fixed.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping