Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #29

Hold up. Did you read the form you signed when you approved repairs at CW? Mine states very clearly "not responsible for theft, fire, or damage to your___" I had to sign it to approve repairs. Then when I picked it up after the repairs were completed, that form I had to sign states " you agree all repairs were completed to your satisfaction and make no further claim against Camping World".
My wording is from memory, so it may not be an exact duplicate of their verbage, but it's my best recollection.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Hold up. Did you read the form you signed when you approved repairs at CW? Mine states very clearly "not responsible for theft, fire, or damage to your___" I had to sign it to approve repairs. Then when I picked it up after the repairs were completed, that form I had to sign states " you agree all repairs were completed to your satisfaction and make no further claim against Camping World".
My wording is from memory, so it may not be an exact duplicate of their verbage, but it's my best recollection.
That was my thought throughout this whole thread. The only caveate would be that if CW had made a defective repair, causing the other RV to catch fire, then there would be negligence, which would most likely result in CW being liable, particularly in a jury case, as juries nearly always favor against a corporation.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #31

Thanks to the above several posters for saving me some one finger typing on a tablet -

Your casualty is no different than something happening to your coach parked somewhere. Ive found State Farm to be very good at pursuing this kind of thing, and I think if you get someone at SF to talk to who understands the process, the fact you were parked and had a casualty is not the same impact as torpedoing yourself into tree. (no pun intended, it don't think....)

I had my truck munched in the parking lot at work; it was a total non-event as far as letting SF handle it, and since it wasn't a collision in that traditional sense, I suffered zero effect - administrative only is how they tried to 'splain it.

But the reality is that's why you have insurance - 'cause stuff happens. I do hope you can wind down from this - being all wigged out is only going to adversely affect you; for every other party involved this is just business and settlement on property.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
State laws and jury decisions have a way of dismissing those notices.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #33

Dogpatch is right on this one. I've seen the same thing happen on damages, thefts and fires at car dealerships I've dealt with on my job. I can see where management at Camping World may have said things about this accident when they had no idea how to handle such situations.

I know it hurts, but turn the claim into your insurance company, pay the deductible and get your coach fixed and back on the road.

State Farm is he-hawing around because they know it's going to initially cost them a bunch to fix your trailer. Frankly, they're not a strong force in the RV insurance (like GEICO or Progressive) and may not have dedicated RV adjusters.

But your first concern is finding a very high quality RV body shop to fix your coach. I certainly wouldn't want Camping World to touch it--or even worse profit from repairs paid by your insurance company.

Repairs on RV's are unbelievably expensive with labor rates 3 times or 4 times the labor rates at good quality auto body shops. And they're charging for actual labor hours vs. "book hours" on autos/trucks.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #34

CW has a dreadful reputation yet people still take their RVs there for repair. There is no incentive for them to better their practices. We just had our Genny worked on but took it to an independent shop. It was ready on time and none of the CW drama to go through.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #35
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm surely not an insurance expert but as I read the post and noticed my headache was getting worse, I knew that his insurance had to cover the loss. Anyone who has lived past 45 or 50 should know this. Dogpatch was right on the money.

The OP turns in his claim, State Farm makes the repair and goes after Camping World for the cost of repairs (subrogation). If they win, they usually refund the insured his/her deductible. If they don't, you can take a shot at suing CW in small claims court for your deductible.

Here's something I learned recently and may be a way to give CW a little extra smack for being poorly treated. Typically, your insurance company makes you whole again, but you're given no additional money for loss in value of the vehicle because it may some day show up when you sell the vehicle, like in a CarFax. You have the right to sue for that additional loss, again in Small Claims.

I think CW's only real issue here is that their employees didn't know how these were handled and should have been more upfront with communicating their mistake when they figured it out. I also think the OP had the right to come on here with his complaint, but should have asked for info on how these incidents typically play out, rather than make accusations that were off base.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #36

I must agree with the OP and RanCarr that CW is about the sorriest vehicle service experience I have ever had in 40 years of owning vehicles.

I had some "work" done there and, being female and a first-time RV owner, they must have seen me coming from a mile away. Just unbelievable. They installed an awning on an old Winnebago and it was smaller than I specified, and the way it was installed, when it is flat against the coach it blocks the furnace door.

They were supposed to caulk around the upper window, on a Class C which is above the cab, and they caulked only as far as they could reach while leaning across either side of the window, and nothing for about a foot in the center on top and bottom. Duh!

When I drove the RV home and parked it in the driveway I took a good look and found out what was what, and yes, I am guilty of having just signed the form when I picked it up and away I went.

Found a big metal "pin", looked like an old-fashioned hairpin, on the running board where it had lain all the way down I-95 coming home. It no doubt belonged to some part of the awning, God only knows what.

When you see the people that work at this CW chain, and they're $9/hour folks who may have worked at WalMart prior to their current situation, you know you're not dealing with people who have a good grasp of what they're doing.

Yes, Camping World is a neat place to shop for RV-specific gadgets (albeit overpriced and most of which can be found at other stores) and to look at RVs. But that is about all.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Camping World is probably a member of the BBB.

A car dealership did minor damage my car while in service. They refused to fix their damage. I called the BBB to file a complaint. Once I was aware of the process to file a complaint against a BBB member I gave up. The BBB makes it difficult to file a complaint against a BBB member.
BBB is worthless! When we had a business the local one called and offered to give me their highest rating if I paid their "fee". I refused.
I also had a dispute with an RV dealer. Filed a complaint with the BBB, got a letter from them stating they had a letter from the dealer stating we had agreed to a settlement when the dealer had never even contacted me. Sent the BBB a letter stating the facts, they sent a letter back and said they were taking the dealers side and closing the complaint. Fortunately for us the Attorney Generals office said we were right and we did get the free TV about a year after we should have.

As far as CW, we haven't graced their shop since we had them install an inverter around 2001. Thought they knew how to do it correctly and found they didn't. Never again even though we're Charter Lifetime members of GS.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't do business with camping world

I Would write a letter to action line at motorhome magazine and see if Marcus lemonis will write a letter to himself on your behalf requesting a check for the damages.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:22 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
So sorry this happened. I would contact the CEO of Camping World, Marcus Lemonis. I am not sure these are current but you could also call CW corporate. Good luck.

MARCUS LEMONIS, CW CEO
Think this is it. MarcusVIP@campingworldrv.com
-OR-
mlemonis@campingworldrv.com

http://www.rv.net
marcusvip@goodsamfamily.coms
Old 08-16-2015, 06:03 AM   #40

Something else to keep in mind. You are fighting CW's insurance company, not CW. It is likely CW has no control over any of this. The local CW dealer is not raking in millions, where he can afford to just make a payout. When CW tried to process the claim, no doubt their insurance denied it, based on the contract you signed. CW's insurance was probably involved in the origination of the fine print on your contract for service. That statement is there to protect the insurance company, not CW. Not trying to stand up for CW, but just stating what you are dealing with.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My insurance company has always handled my claim and pursued the responsible party. The "accident" or claim doesn't count against you if you are not at fault. Let your insurance handle it and they can go after CW for the money.

Just my personal experience with auto insurance companies.
Get your insurance involved. You should get paid, less the deductible. THEIR lawyers will go after CW's insurance. They WILL collect, in full. Then, they should refund your deductible to you. That is the way it has worked for me in the past.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My insurance company has always handled my claim and pursued the responsible party. The "accident" or claim doesn't count against you if you are not at fault. Let your insurance handle it and they can go after CW for the money.
Just my personal experience with auto insurance companies.
UFO Pilot

I have found that most service places, and/or their insurance company, are not responsible for damages or thefts when your coach is on their property.... (just like other businesses are not responsible for your vehicle in their parking lot).
It is best to file a claim with your insurance company and let the insurance companies fight it out, (and pay the deductible if you must).
If it is ultimately determined that CW is legally responsible for the loss your insurance company will refund that deductible.
Mel
'96 Safari
Closed Thread

Tags
camping