Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #71

Gulf Streamers Club
Upon seeing the title of this thread, I was sure it was by a new member who only joined to rip someone. I was pleased to see they have been a member for a while and have other postings beyond this one. Yes, the post was hard to read, but I persevered and made it through. My first thought was, what do you pay insurance for? It's to protect you and your insured property against loss. The agent who told the OP not to make a claim was NOT working for the OP like he should have been.

Second, yes the lack of communication by the various folks a CW were wrong in their failure to help, but I can't help but wonder if the demands to make his damage whole with no interactions with his personal insurance company was partly to blame. I was an educator during my career and I was always willing to help a parent with an issue until they threatened lawsuits and lawyer involvement. At that point I would be instructed by my bosses and lawyers to have no other communication with the parent, let the lawyers deal with it. Sounds like the issue here.

I am unfamiliar with the Garagekeepers Coverage, I know that every time I leave a vehicle for service I sign the repair estimate that includes the small print that the dealer takes no responsibility for theft or loss while parked in their lot for service. No cause of the fire or any blame has, to this point, been put on CW.

Certainly BBB has no dog in this hunt, not sure why the attacks on them. I do find BBB to be the last place I use to evaluate a business, they seem to defend their business members. To see the BBB emblem on a business door or ad has very little influence on me anymore, In the age of the interwebs there are many sources of information and reviews of businesses besides BBB. The BBB emblem simply means a business has joined, not that it has actually passed a review or follows certain business ethics.

I continue to be amazed at the folks that jumped on CW and advise the OP to sue. For every bad experience at CW, there are probably thousands of good interactions, sales, and repairs that no one thinks to post because that's what we expect of any business. How else would they keep doors open? The reaction to pile on is a simplistic viewpoint of what's been reported, (only from one side) and very likely will do the OP little good and the lawyers will be the only winners. To all those who dismissed the posting for it's formatting or grammar,.......

I do admire Dogpatch, Arch Hoagland, dennis45, Civdiv99, for being the voices of reason.

I hope the OP will report on the outcome of this incident.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #72

Thanks. I have filed the claim with my insurance company. Having said that, "It's just business" should never be trying to get out of something. Doing what is right should be the business. I know that if I had someones property get damaged while in my custody, I would make an insurance claim with my "Home Owner's" policy, or replace it myself, well that is of course that I wanted to be honest and upstanding, which CW has the ability to do. They didn't have any problem claiming their own personal losses. How business is done today has definitely changed. Instead of companies being responsible for things within their control, they litigate and try to and push out the clock so people get aggravated and just give up. They could have filed the claim for the damage to all the vehicles involved in the fire, not just their own. A reputable company would have done that. I contacted my insurance right a way to find out what I should do. They stated that CW would be filing s property damage claim with their insurance company because of the circumstances and they my insurer wouldn't really need to get involved unless I needed them too. Again, I shouldn't have to get my insurance company involved. Not everyone has $200.00 laying around. I appreciate your response, and as a litigator I also under stand your argument. Yes, I am happy that there was no injury. I am not going to lose any sleep over this, and I only posted this because I wanted people who use these facilities of what they potentially stand to face should it happen to them. Some of the posts were very unkind towards me. I have tried to work with CW on more than one occasion, and giving each person I have dealt with the benefit of the doubt, and as a former law enforcement investigator for 18 years, I always wanted to experience first hand what a person would tell me, so as being able to testify with first hand knowledge. Just say'n.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #73

Gulf Streamers Club
"It's just business" should never be trying to get out of something. Business is controlled by many variables. Ethics, Legal liability, Insurance coverage and liability, government regulations, and on and on. Something damaged on your private property is different than a business with millions of dollars of product parked or stored on their property. To have complete coverage of every item for all possibilities would make insurance rates so high you'd never do business with them because of the costs.

Don't do business with camping world is a little bit more strongly worded than your stated purpose, "I only posted this because I wanted people who use these facilities of what they potentially stand to face should it happen to them." In fact the thumbs down emoticon isn't even on available in iRV2, you had to import it. You were out to ruin their reputation and business.

Most of us, if we think about it, understand the risk every time we park our personal property and leave it unattended. If we really think about risk, we wouldn't get out of bed. Of course that's not totally safe either. Life happens, life of course is the opposite of death and we all face that sooner or later.

You complain about not having $200 laying around...that's not even a tank of fuel for your mobile vacation/recreation home. It would be like Trump complaining about the cost of a corn dog after he helicoptered in to the Iowa State Fair.

Yes, you suffered loss by no actions of your own, but you did ask them to service your RV. By no actions of their own (at least proven so far) your RV was damaged. You pay for insurance to cover your property and liability, let them do their job. They should make you whole again, either from their coffers or by getting it from CW, their insurance companies, or a combination of the above.

At most you have lost the end of the summer camping season. I don't think you'll find anyone willing to pay for that. Sorry, I know your frustration.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 08-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #74

Well actually my insurance company didn't tell me not to make a claim, as that was not what I said. I said that upon first contacting them on what I should do, was to contact CW and get their claim number to file the loss claim with THEIR insurance company. Which also was what I was told by the GM that CW would take care of this. I did that, but then CW changed it's position. Why? I can only say that when you have several vehicles burn to the ground and many more damaged as a result of the fire, probably a claim of at least a million dollars, who stands to have the larger rate increase? It is about business. Most of the time when the insurance company can cause litigation, the other insurance acting in the lossee's behalf don't ever full recover the loss paid out which cause a rate increase. There is the normal course of action taken when an accident occurs, which I did and because this being at a shop in the course of repair and a loss occurs, that the shop has specific insurance to take care of that loss, and that the lossee should be able to contact the shop's claim department, obtain the claim number and move forward. Not be refused the claim number, nor no return calls or emails after many attempts, and on and on and on. That is NOT being responsible. And furthermore, "For every bad experience at CW, there are probably thousands of good interactions, sales, and repairs that no one thinks to post because that's what we expect of any business", as you so put it doesn't make those bad experiences acceptable, and nor should. Just because a grocery store puts out fruit and some people have gotten good fruit, doesn't erase or change the fact they sold bad fruit to others. We as customer's have a right and should demand to be treated fairly when patronizing a companies store. Where would would companies be or "How else would they keep doors open?" as you stated, would be out of business because of poor business practices and rightfully so, our they would flourish because they are doing the right thing. Again, I posted a length thread because I wanted to let those who patronize CW to know what I went through and if that is their stance on how they treat people, then don't go there. If you get great service, prices, repairs and friendly representatives then keep going there. For the most part, the people that I had contact with at CW (as I put in the initial post) were very pleasant and friendly. That's the reason I kept going there. In fact I would drive farther to that location, than another that is closer because of those folks. It was and is the negative experiences and this latest situation that I will no tolerate. If they can't take care of the bad situations, and understandably not all can be wins for either party, but doing the best one can, they they shouldn't be in business. Sorry. I appreciate your post and I have taken some of what you have said and looked back at myself of how I could have said something differently so as to make it more understandable for the reader.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you found out what caused the fire?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #76

Sorry, but I disagree. Business to Business is not just business when you involve the customer who only patronizes a business because of good customer serves, fair product value, truthfulness and standing behind their word. If they can't do that then there is a problem that needs to be corrected. Please read the post by: BFlinn181. This was exactly what I was told by my insurance company when I first talked with them about what I should do. They weren't trying to get out of the claim process, just that if they didn't need to be just another cog in the wheel to slow things down. In fact I would say that most people when involved with an accident, the responsible party usually tries to take care of the damage without involving their insurer. That doesn't mean you don't advise your insurance company, but they should always have to be the one to take care of the situation. Just because we have insurance doesn't mean that we just pay our deductible and move on. My insurance company didn't say that my insurance was going to automatically go up, they said that it still is a claim against my insurance, and just because it was damage outside of my control didn't mean that my premium wouldn't go up. It may not, but it could. I have no problem paying for my insurance, and I pay a lot considering what all I have insurance for, but having said that I only want my vehicle repaired. I am not seeking damages that are ridiculous, like pain and suffering, loss of vacations and things that are just ways of getting paid more because of an accident. We could claim all kinds of stuff, but that's not it. I appreciate your post.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #77

Just a thought--- would it of been better for camping world to just give the customer the insurance information and let the insurance company reject the claim because customers RV was not covered under the policy. Then the customer would have to go to his own insurance and let them deal with it? Then maybe camping world would of looked a little better. Instead they chose to pass the buck amongst themselves and came out looking like they didn't know what was going on. A simple "Our insurance company is handling this, this is their number ---" and been done with it.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofgodspe View Post
For those who have had a hard time reading this post, that was not the intention. I have tried to shorten the space on the by not making separate paragraphs. For those that don't understand that there is a policy that is sold in Illinois and many other state's called *"Garage Keeper's Lease Insurance" (which this Camping World) that covers such damage of their customer's property when on the establishments property. The problem is that they will not disclose the pariculars of that policy. This is also much different than for accidents between two vehicles involved in a motor vehicle accident while in operation, *not being stationary on a repair facility's property in the normal course of business.*
Youcouldhaveshorteneditevenmorebyleavingoutthespac esbetweenthe wordsIcanreaditfinewithoutspacesbetweenthewords.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #79

Your screen name suggests a person that supports the Golden Rule. Your continuing to side-step your part in the process suggests otherwise (as well as your post title).

If you listen up and invite your insurance company to make you whole, you'll rest easier. If your coach had been in a WalMart parking lot, would your post be titled, "Don't shop at Wal-Mart again"?

Perhaps more to the point, if somebody else's MH had been in your church's parking lot when it happened, would it be following the Golden Rule for them to tell everybody to not go to God's house again?

This is making a mountain out of a molehill, IMO.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #80

They believe it was arson. Now having said that, they have a very tall security fence with barbed wire top. There are literally millions of dollars in coaches in this lot, and considering it is not close a town and basically in a rezoned farm field, I would have thought that they would have a security firm to check their facility. But they don't. I actually thought they did. I know when I was a police officer, I always had side jobs doing security for car dealerships because of the potential loss due to vandalism, and not just for their own vehicles, but for customer vehicles on the lots for repair. I think that having security at a place like this would not be unreasonable by any stretch, unless they are cutting back because there profits are down. Just speculating out loud.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #81

Except if your vehicle is under the care of another. The same is even true if you let someone drive your car and they have auto insurance and they get in an accident. Their (if they were at fault) insurance would pay for your car and the other parties car. Your insurance would get involved if your friend didn't have coverage or the other party wasn't insured. Don't take for granted that your insurance automatically pays. To do so just allows insurance companies to take advantage of a system that used to work very well. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofgodspe View Post
They believe it was arson. Now having said that, they have a very tall security fence with barbed wire top. There are literally millions of dollars in coaches in this lot, and considering it is not close a town and basically in a rezoned farm field, I would have thought that they would have a security firm to check their facility. But they don't. I actually thought they did. I know when I was a police officer, I always had side jobs doing security for car dealerships because of the potential loss due to vandalism, and not just for their own vehicles, but for customer vehicles on the lots for repair. I think that having security at a place like this would not be unreasonable by any stretch, unless they are cutting back because there profits are down. Just speculating out loud.
Having visited their lot, how many secuity people do you think it would take to keep constant surveiilance on all the vehicles? One person patrolling couldn't possibly see everything going on.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #83

I want to thank everyone for your posts. I appreciate all your responses whether for or against or just offering some sort of good information. I know that with this type of communication it is not always possible to give the correct context or idea of what one is trying to say. especially someone with serve brain trauma. Face to face is always the best way to communicate. In this situations and others like it, I have always tried to do that so that you can judge the reaction of ones statements, but when you try that and fail, you are usually left a conclusion that may not be favorable towards the other person. Again thank you all for your posts.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
16 years ago I was badly injured in a big box store. The on duty manager told me they would cover my medical bills and even gave me their policy number. Four days later the hospital staff came to my room and told me the insurance company refused the claim. I gave them my medical insurance info and the promptly denied the claim as it wasn't reported within 48 hours.

I engaged an attorney and my medical bills were eventually paid and then some. My medical insurance was repaid out of the settlement. The attorney for the big box store said the manager had no authority to tell me that they would cover my medical bills and that manager was no longer an employee.

You may find CW's policy may be the same, i.e. the manager had no authority to say what he did and was told to not deal with you any further.

I have spent many thousands of dollars at the big box store since and have no animosity toward them.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping