Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
Since this occurred on a Sunday when CW was closed does that change liability issues?
Asked and answered.

Anything that happened while the facility was closed and locked was either an act of God, an act of vandalism, or an accident resulting from a systems failure in one of the motor homes. Rare that liability could be assigned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #114

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbeachbum View Post
Looks like its time for you to lawyer up and sue the crap out of them.
I had no problem reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Agree ^^^
X3 on that 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
In most businesses today the employees are instructed not admit any blame or responsibility for anything. We live in a sue happy country and any indication of wrong doing adds to the case of the injured party. Recently I witnessed someone fall in a water spill at a fast food restaurant. Customers rushed to the aid of the person. Not one employee offered help or assistance but mopped up the liquid immediately.
sad but true, this seems to add fuel to the fire in some cases
(no pun intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFROMFL View Post
DogPatch is correct, I handled property and casualty insurance claims for 40 years. It all depends on what actual coverage CW has, is their coverage primary ?
I see no way for CW to weasel out of this hole. pointing finger in someone else direction is childish and non productive.

since the OP unit was damaged by ANOTHER PARTY's vehicle then The company OR the owner of the vehicle or person that started the fire is liable For all damage NOT THE OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFROMFL View Post
Usually, your personal insurance will not "charge" points against you as you were not negligent. A claim like this is a property claim and not a liability claim. Your insurance premium might go up because a claim was "paid". But if they are successful in recovery then there should be no increase.
The insurance company will still have cost involved if there is a claim at all.
The insurance companys employees won't work for free becasue the company didn't have a pay out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I'm glad you asked. Here's my reasoning:
1) The OP isn't responsible. His property was in the hands of a company that is responsible for it while it's in their possession. They're a big company, they're insured, and they should do the RIGHT THING by taking that responsibility seriously.

2) By going through his insurance company, he's subject to the comprehensive deductible. That's hundreds or even thousands of dollars that he's out of pocket that he shouldn't be out of pocket on. Yes, they *may* subrogate the issue and he might get his deductable back, but why should he be out that amount of money?

3) A comprehensive claim may or may not raise rates, but it WILL be incurred on his CLUE report and can have bearing on future insurability. It'll go in as comprehensive and likely not-at-fault, but these still have bearing on rates and future insurability. CLUE is like your credit report but for insurance claims and it's very important to keep it as clean as possible. You indicate that he can't be held responsible. I assure you, that too many comprehensive claims (not at fault) are not a good thing and CAN impact your rates. The simple fact of having fewer insurance companies to chose from is likely to be a financial impact.

I've explained myself. Can you tell me why you feel the other way? IE, if I damaged your property, should I just tell you to take it up with your insurance company and you'd be fine with that?
X2 spot on right there. /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

insurance related:
AS a former LEO in Ohio if while you are on duty and have a No fault accident
(like a deer crash) there is a letter the chief of your agency can send to the state and a NOTE is put in the crash record and there is a law that an insurance company Can NOT hold this crash against you.

I had a Deer crash in 2003 in the patrol car. in 08 When I was getting insurance on my new car that crash was brought up. (It was my only crash in more than 10 years)
i was so mad, then I told the person i was talking to they were NOT allowed to charge for it and they said, I just read that.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 08-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This has been an interesting thread. The opinions are varied in reference to the incident. The problem, if you want to refer to it in that manner, is that while we all need and want insurance, we have to understand that the basic premise of any insurance company is to make money for its shareholders. That said the easiest way for them to accomplish that task is to fight the claims or at a minimum ..... make it difficult and stressful for those making the claim. I believe they are good at this.

It is also quite easy for those of us who are on the outside to make comments for or against the OP's thoughts. We are not putting up with the BS. I hope I never do. It does seem like there was at least one major error on the part of the CW employee and that was to accept responsibility. If you look at your insurance card most of them tell you not to take responsibility. Pretty easy now to see why.

All insurance companies have lawyers on the payroll. CW doesn't want to pay nor does your own company. This leads back to my original comment of why they are in business. Someone will pay but not without some "encouragement." I guess at this point I'd be looking at my own insurance company for assistance. The policies seem to be written in favor of the insurance company even though we want to believe that the insurance is just waiting to protect us oh so willingly.

Lastly, not that it should really matter to us, has the cause of the fire been determined ? No doubt there are different coverage scenarios depending on the actual fault here.

Lastly, lastly .... Forget about the grammar cops. Mostly they troll to irritate others. The meat of your original post was received by the majority.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #116

you know after CW ripped me off (and never again will I shop there or have anything repaired there)....whenever I sign on the dotted line just to get my property back I always include with my signature, signed under protest to get my property back and not inspected. Don't know if it will work but it does show that I have not inspected the work that they did or the condition it was handed to me.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofgodspe View Post
They believe it was arson.
Probably just another satisfied Camping World customer!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
you know after CW ripped me off (and never again will I shop there or have anything repaired there)....whenever I sign on the dotted line just to get my property back I always include with my signature, signed under protest to get my property back and not inspected. Don't know if it will work but it does show that I have not inspected the work that they did or the condition it was handed to me.
Most lawyers will more than likely tell you that the waiver you sign when you do things like RV repair and the statement that you make will seldom make it through a court case. Most of these waivers are initiated through the demand of the insurance companies. They will obviously use it in any type of case to fight your claims but a good lawyer can and will crush the waiver. I like what you are writing but the lawyers would rip that apart in no time. First question they will ask is did you go and inspect the work prior to taking the vehicle. Obviously at that point the repair station will say you never asked and we never denied the right to inspect the work. It's all about the legal mumbo jumbo.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #119

About the only reason I don't do business with CW is their prices compared to what I can obtain elsewhere.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, I sincerely hope the OP gets his coach repaired and gets back to enjoying the lifestyle and gets this put well behind him. I can certainly understand his frustration and disappointment in getting his motorhome damaged. Lots of different opinions and points of view about how this should be handled. I guess this kind of ambiguity is what keeps lawyers in business, and judges busy. While not a big fan of CW Service department-- and most RV dealers service departments, I struggle understanding why CW would have liability for a criminal action taken by a third party? If I where to park my motorhome (or car) in your driveway, and someone not related to you or invited to be on your property criminally damages my motorhome(or car) its doubtful to me that homeowners insurance will be paying that claim, would you then pay the damage out of your pocket? Many on this thread expect CW to pay for the damages caused by a criminal act of a yet identified third party (arson as identified by the OP) and that's what I thought I paid my insurance for.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
Old 08-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
First, I sincerely hope the OP gets his coach repaired and gets back to enjoying the lifestyle and gets this put well behind him. I can certainly understand his frustration and disappointment in getting his motorhome damaged. Lots of different opinions and points of view about how this should be handled. I guess this kind of ambiguity is what keeps lawyers in business, and judges busy. While not a big fan of CW Service department-- and most RV dealers service departments, I struggle understanding why CW would have liability for a criminal action taken by a third party? If I where to park my motorhome (or car) in your driveway, and someone not related to you or invited to be on your property criminally damages my motorhome(or car) its doubtful to me that homeowners insurance will be paying that claim, would you then pay the damage out of your pocket? Many on this thread expect CW to pay for the damages caused by a criminal act of a yet identified third party (arson as identified by the OP) and that's what I thought I paid my insurance for.

Mike

Well said!
Old 08-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #122
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'd be very interested in the official finding in the fire marshals report. Until that is known, most of this discussion is moot.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 08-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #123

Rexhall Owners Group
Angry

To be honest with you, I don't know why camping world isn't out of business. Their customer service is deplorable, their service department is a joke and they don/'t have the merchandise in stock when you want it. I REFUSE to do business with a company like that no matter who the CEO is.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #124

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUU View Post
To be honest with you, I don't know why camping world isn't out of business. Their customer service is deplorable, their service department is a joke and they don/'t have the merchandise in stock when you want it. I REFUSE to do business with a company like that no matter who the CEO is.
This might be outdated information, but I believe Camping World only owns and operates one location south of Indianapolis. All the rest are independent franchises. Camping World is the largest chain in the RV industry, doing about 1.5 billion dollars of business a year. The quality of service and dealings should be evaluated by the individual location, not a blanket condemnation of all shops under that brand.

McDonalds has a good handle on their franchise holders, their hamburger is the same anywhere in the U.S. and overseas. I agree Camping World needs to tighten up control of shops using their name but I can't make blanket statements like the above post. I've been on the road when I needed a replacement toilet valve. I looked for a Camping World and found the part, purchased it, and moved on.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 08-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Lastly, lastly .... Forget about the grammar cops. Mostly they troll to irritate others. The meat of your original post was received by the majority.
You're painting with a broad brush by thinking, or expecting, that those that saw a giant paragraph (or on this thread, dozens of them by the OP) would make the time to try to read them. Since the title is suspect already, skipping the OP's posts isn't that difficult a choice.

That the OP didn't take the hint and try to separate his thoughts while at the keyboard, is telling. He doesn't care enough to try. Why should a lot of people that might have something helpful to offer have to strain their eyes?

Yes, proper spelling and grammar say something about how what you say is received by others.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #126

Thanks OP! I learned something I didn't know from your experience. I (mistakenly) thought that the person I had trusted with my property was responsible for damage that happens while in their care.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping