Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #1

Thumbs down Don't do business with camping world

Greetings all Fellow Motor Coach Owners.
I want to make all of you aware of something that is extremely important on where you get your coaches serviced and or repaired. My wife and I bought our first coach at Crystal Valley Camping World in Island Lake, Illinois back in 2011. We had a very good experience with the place. We had a great salesman (Steve Schultz) and we purchased a 1999 37' Fleetwood Pace Arrow. We had it several years before we bought our 2005 Travel Supreme Select. We had experienced some situation with this facility with regards to some repairs, another coach sold out from under us because of the Finance Manager, and lie to us about another loan application, but all in all everything with regards to repairs and the store has gone well. The service manager Ray Kournec is a great guy. Anyway everything changed on July 19th of this year. On July 12th I had taken our coach to CW to summerize it and repair the leveling system. As it sat out in the lot awaiting some parts, their was a fire out in the lot. Mike Ruth (General Manager) called me on the 19th a Sunday, and stated that there had been a fire out in the yard and that our coach suffered some fire damage to the rock shield, the drivers side window was broke, the clearance lights melted along with the end cap for the door awning, the left turn signal melted as well as the the remote spotlight. He said that we were lucky as the wind was actually blowing in the other direction as so our coach was affected mostly by heat. He stated that there were 3 other coaches that burned to the ground and several others were burned severely. He sent a couple of pictures but assured me that Camping World would take care of the damage. So we went and looked at the coach Monday the next day. It was as he had described, but on going in the unit there didn't appear to be any smoke damage. We were truly blessed that it wasn't worse like the others. So I was waiting for CW insurance company to contact me. Mike had said if I had any questions I could call but email was a better way to reach him. So on Tuesday I sent him an email and followed up with a voice mail requesting the insurance companies contact info as well as a claim number. Well several days went by without any return email or call. I realized that he was probably heavily involved with the fire as it was not determined yet how the fire started. So I sent him another email and left a voice message. Again no return email or call. I called the service department and asked how the other repairs were going and was told that the parts were on order, but had not come in. Mark (service writer) said that they can't bring the unit in until the Fire Marshall is finished with the fire investigation. I said I had been trying to reach the General Manager Mike, but that he wasn't calling back. After I ended the call Ray Kournec (Service Manager) called and said that Cathy Kaminiski from Corporate was handling the fire, and gave me her phone number. So I called her and asked about the insurance carrier. She gave me the name of ACE insurance and said there was a second party handling the claims, I asked for the claim number, but she said she didn't know where she had put it but that she was sending out a letter concerning our vehicle and the fire. She said that we should contact our insurance and let them handle it. I was not happy with her as I shouldn't have to even have my insurance get involved. Well I called my insurance and they said that I should deal directly with CW insurance because State Farm really didn't need to be involved because the fire happened on CW property and they have insurance to cover those claims. State Farm stated that they would get involved if we requested if CW refused to do anything. Now we are into first full week of August. No call from Mike Ruth, no letter, no call from CW's insurance company. So I call ACE and they tell me that Gallagher & Fisk is actually the insurance company handling the came for CW. I asked for the claim number but was told that I should just go through my insurance. I said that I shouldn't have to because it was on CW's property at the time of the fire. I was told that it didn't matter that CW wasn't handling the claim that way. Now I was really PO'd. Now we have had had to cancel a trip we were supposed to be on today. I again met with my insurance and they said if they got involved that I would be paying my deductible for the claim and it is very possible that there would now be a claim on a spotless claim free record. Finally (August 13th) Mike Ruth called me back and stated that he was told that their insurance was working for CW and that if we wanted our unit repaired that we would have to have our insurance file a claim, however Gallagher & Fisk had told me that CW only filed claims for the units of theirs that suffered fire damage. My unit was listed as part of the fire but there was no claim number. Mike Ruth told me that unless I filed the claim with my insurance that CW was not going to do anything. I said that they couldn't do that, but he said that that was how he was told to handle it. Well on August the 8th I went to our P.O. Box and finally there was the letter that Cathy had said she was sending. Well I was expecting to have the claim number and the insurance company name. What I found was a letter stating how sorry CW was for the damage and that I should contact my insurance for any claim. No claim #, no claim form, no insurance company name. In fact the letter would have been better written by a child because the broken sentences, missing words, misspelled words. I realized that the person doing the paperwork doesn't have a clue. So here we are now, still with no motor home and CW saying that our insurance can take care of their problem. DO NOT HAVE YOUR VEHICLES SERVICED BY CAMPING WORLD OR EVEN HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM. YOU RISK EVERYTHING IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU. I was lied too, and this place especially the General Manager MIKE RUTH can't be trust, nor can CAMPING WORLD. They don't stand behind the Customers and don't deserve the business. I am filing a complaint with the Insurances Ethics and Standards Board, I am going contact the BBB and file a complaint against Camping World also as well as with Camping World Corporation in Bowling Green Kentucky. I am sure that they won't want to talk with me. I am going to put their shady business practices on every public site. They can do the right thing and fix my vehicle from the fire. That's all I ask, and don't believe I should have to pay any deductible or perhaps an increase in my insurance rate because of them. This is all I ask. They will never get my business. I am going to tell everyone about them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

How can anyone read that post that has no paragraphs or any other formatting? I can't!

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 08-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I agree with you about CW. I have had major work done by them on my coach. I will never go back after what they did to me this last time!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is right and there is wrong...this is not only wrong but sad. I am sorry for your loss....lost for words GlenB
Old 08-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #5

Looks like its time for you to lawyer up and sue the crap out of them.
I had no problem reading it.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

So hard to read it's not worth reading.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
How can anyone read that post that has no paragraphs or any other formatting? I can't!

Good Luck!
Wil
I agree but it appears am more skilled at reading. Far too many do not know how to use the RETURN/NEW LINE key to properly gap the paragraphs now days.

To the O/P. You do need to get your insurance company and more importantly THEIR LAWYERS involved.. They have way more skill at dealing with people such as themselves (insurance companies) than you do. I am not just exactly who should be paying for the damage.. I'm just sure it's not you.

Also, the line about the fire marshall may be true.. But I doubt it.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

I would lawyer up and go after them. I had no trouble reading it, but then I speak and read English.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

Whaz wid da grama polece?I con reed it fin and dandee.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
I would lawyer up and go after them. I had no trouble reading it, but then I speak and read English.

Agree ^^^
Old 08-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My insurance company has always handled my claim and pursued the responsible party. The "accident" or claim doesn't count against you if you are not at fault. Let your insurance handle it and they can go after CW for the money.

Just my personal experience with auto insurance companies.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #12

I could read it, no problem.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #13

Read it, not sure what is supposed to be news. Call your lawyer not your insurance company.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #14
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Being in the Insurance Industry as a Restoration Contractor, I've seen it a hundred times.

This is probably how it went down:

Camping World has a fire.
Out of good faith, they contact the OP and advise the situation and say they will look after everything.
Camping World finally has their insurance look into the whole situation and they advise them that the OP's property is not insured by Camping World's insurance.
Camping World now has to go back to OP because of the way insurance works and advise OP he needs to contact his insurance.
OP is PO'd because he doesn't want to involve his insurance and ruin his claims free status.

What the OP needs to do is inact his own insurance claim.
He may have to pay his deductible, however, his own insurance will endeavor to subrogate against Camping Worlds Insurer.
If the OPs insurance company is successful, the OP may end up not have a mark on his claim history and even have his deductible returned.

Yes it happened on Camping World's property, however, the proper process has to be followed. In order to subrogate, you have to prove negligence.
If Camping World was not negligent and fire happened accidently, it's likely that they would be no more at fault than the OP and victims of the unfortunate incident like the OP.
The OP's insurance will either request a copy of the investigation results or have their own causation investigator attend.
The result of the investigation will prove liability (if any).

That's the way I see it anyways.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping