Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #1

Don't do what I did regarding changing fuel filter

Changed my fuel filters yesterday. Had about 1/3 tank of diesel because I was changing generator fuel filter also. The front of the coach was slightly lower than the back.
When I took the primary filter off no fuel came out. Apparently the fuel line emptied back into the tank. Had a devil of a time getting it started. Took about six hours to get it to fire.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What engine?

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Did you fill the new filter with fuel before you put it back on?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #4

I haver a CUMMINS ISC. Filled the filters through the outer holes. I've changed filters many time in twenty years and over half a million miles on six motor homes. This was just a perfect storm of bad coincidence.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #5

That's odd. I'd think you'd have an intank fuel pump. So you'd hear a noise near the tank when you just turn the key on. It'll run a few seconds and then shut off if you don't turn the key to start.

If the engines not running, your fuel shouldn't drain back into the tank. Because of the one way valve in the fuel pump.

BTW, I put an external fuel pump on my diesel back near the engine (diesel pusher with fuel tank between the front wheels) when a tech told me the in tank pump was 'weak'. Whatever that means. Been fine for 12 years now.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

I had a similar problem when changing the filter on my CAT C-7. I won't change the filter now unless I have an almost full tank.

Jim HiTek - Apparently mine and many other diesels do not have an in tank fuel pump or check valve.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a shut off valve right before the fuel filters. It prevents the fuel from leaking back and also prevents me from getting a diesel bath when changing filters.

Droski
2014 Excursion 33D
2006 Jeep Liberty
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droski View Post
I installed a shut off valve right before the fuel filters. It prevents the fuel from leaking back and also prevents me from getting a diesel bath when changing filters.

Droski
2014 Excursion 33D
2006 Jeep Liberty
Droski,
Well Sir,
You experienced my exact situation that happened to me approximately 2.5 years ago. Same kind of scenario. The tank was low in fuel, and, it was lower than the single fuel filter (one on our coach) at the rear of the coach. Opening up the system to change the filter caused disaster that was unseen at the time. Long story short, I removed the old filter, and, reading text out of a CAT engine book I have, I followed the instructions to put the new one on dry. BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Well, after several phone calls to Freightliner, CAT and, anyone who'd listen, It was determined that, air pressure applied to the fuel fill inlet, would pressurize the tank enough to force fuel all the way back up the line, to the fuel inlet to the filter base. I had already removed the DRY filter and, put fuel in it. Well, that was not good enough. Still a NO START condition existed.

Well, I removed the line at the base of the HEUI pump and, had the wife continue to pressurize the tank. Fuel started running from that open line. I quickly re-installed it and, hoped for the best. I went in and cranked that CAT for about 5-10 seconds and, it started to sputter. I held on the starter for another approximate 3-4 more seconds and, the big girl fired off. It purred like a kitten right after that.

Well, needless to say, I was NEVER GOING TO BE FACED WITH THAT AGAIN so, I installed TWO fuel shut-off valves. One before the filter and one after it. That way, I could isolate that filter body and, for what ever reason I might have at the time, I could take my time in changing it as, no fuel would drain back into the tank and, none would escape from the line after the filter body. Lesson learned!!

And, as for those that think that there is a fuel pump in the tank, AIN'T HAPPENING on many coaches. Some yes but, many no. On ones like mine, you could turn that key on and off 200,000 times and, you'd be in the same position as when you started, NO FUEL!
Scott

P.S. The pics below show the before, the parts composition and, the after.

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I hate fuel filters got a John deere tractor 5501 every time I change the filter the tank has to be full and still have to open the injector lines... Don't dare crack open the water drain on it unless you got some free hours to re prime it.. My RV is simple has the electric primer on one filter and a pump on the other filter..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droski View Post

Droski
2014 Excursion 33D
2006 Jeep Liberty
I did the same. The location of the inline filter/strainer made it a real problem when changing. I took a diesel bath changing it the first time. I relocated the inline filter/strainer to a more convenient location and put a shutoff valve in it's location.
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #11

Why so many issues? On my pickup (different but same idea), the fuel filter is above the engine, fuel tank is at the back and way lower between frame, and I never have this issue, even if I don't prime the filter. There is a pressure return on the system, and an electric fuel pump. That solves all issues I thought.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Why so many issues? On my pickup (different but same idea), the fuel filter is above the engine, fuel tank is at the back and way lower between frame, and I never have this issue, even if I don't prime the filter. There is a pressure return on the system, and an electric fuel pump. That solves all issues I thought.
Good question, I'm wondering the same thing. I've never had trouble with a empty filter either. My filter is like Fire Up's...behind the rear mounted rad, lower than the lift pump.

BTW, Fire Up, great pics.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
jesilvas,
You're talking apples and oranges here. The only thing that's the same is the fact that the word "diesel" is the same. I too used to own a Ford truck diesel. It was the first generation, slower than molasses in the winter, smoked like a freight train, and about as much power as a lawn mower. It gave me no trouble changing the fuel filter on it.

The designers of those systems took in to consideration, all the ramifications that could/would happen if and when the fuel system was broken open, as in changing fuel filter and, provided provide safety measures that would not allow for "drain back" of fuel into the tank when the fuel system was in limbo, between the time the filter was removed and, a new one placed into service.

But, not so on some, possibly many motor homes, especially diesel ones. Some took the effort and design to install a pump in the tank. Some, installed them IN LINE and therefore, no priming is ever needed. But on some, like mine and quite a few others, the potential for disasterous "No Start" conditions can prevail, if certain conditions are met.

This is another one of those things that some folks think just about all motor homes, even diesel ones, are made and created the same. Not so. There are even line changes in the same coach lineup. Two coaches, the same make/model/year can be on the line and, one will not have the same style/make/components as the other due to a sudden line change for whatever reason.

Our CAT equipped, '04 Freightliner equipped chassis is one of those. Ours came with only one fuel filter when, just a few in front of ours, came with two. Later that year, they started using two again. So, you having no issues when changing fuel filters on your DIESEL really is not anywhere near the same as some of us have experienced.

This is not to chastise you, just explaining what some differences are.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:55 PM   #14

I don't see the differences.
What caused the issue? You mentioned low fuel and filter being above the pump. Many vehicles can have those two conditions met with no issue, what is it about yours that caused no priming?

Tags
fuel