Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
In the Fall of 2007 I toured the northeast in my MH with no tow vehicle. I did not have any problems to speak of just minor inconveniences. We used the MH for sight seeing and due to the slow time of the year did not have much problems finding a place to park. Ocassionally we had to walk a few blocks into town. Most of the time we just did our sight seeing before we camped for the night. We did stay in NJ for two weeks and rented a car there so we could get back and forth to my daughters house from Mahon Dickson reserve. I did not find the rental costs as prohibitive as buying a tow rig for my vehicle. This year we are going out west and our touring and camping styles will be different. I want to stay put in one campground for more than one day so we will need a toad to do that. There was one place where I was thankful I did not have a tow. It was in PA in the Amish farm area. WE got lost and had to perform a few three point turns to head in the opposite direction. I would have had to disconnect the toad to get turned around on that narrow road.

Denis, Ruth and Gracie
the K-9 Dashboard Ornament
2007 Newmar Baystar 3202
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
We don't tow, either with our current rig or our previous one. With two Labs, we couldn't leave them in a car while we went sight seeing. They're better off in the RV, if need be with the genny running and the a/c on in a distant part of the parking lot.

The only problem we encountered was when we were booked in for a three-day weekend and went off in the RV on the second day. Despite the "Reserved through" sign, some clown snagged our site. We finally got the rangers to throw them out, but it was a hassle.

We solved that by getting a awning room/gazebo thing. We put it up right next to the picninc table , put some of our patio stuff inside and attach a big sign that says "This site is occupied. We'll be back shortly."

Haven't had a problem since.

With our new rig, we might be taking more extended trips and visiting friends and relatives who live some distance from the nearest CG. We'll try Enterprise to begin with, as our family barge isn't flat towable and is heavy enough to be close to the limits of our RV's hitch once it's on a dolly.

We're still researching the options, but I suspect a dolly tow might be in our future.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
We are considering to buy two small mopeds/scooters instead of towing. Is anybody using this as a no tow option?
I have been trying to convince the DW of that option for years. For shorter weekend trips, I'd love to not tow the JEEP and just slap a Vespa 150 on a rack on the back. I ride a Harley, but a little Vespa would be a hoot!

So far, we tow the JEEP everywhere :(
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #18
We carried a step-through 80 cc scooter for a about a year before we got a TOAD. Actually the TOAD is easier to connect/disconnect than the scooter was to load/unload. Also, except for the fact that you can't back up, which is no small concern, the TOAD is more convenient all around. Of course, the TOAD is a much more expensive option, both to set up and operate.

The only thing I kind of miss about carrying the scooter is being able to just mosey around the campground, park, local back roads. It is just more enjoyable, more encompassing when your on a scooter/motorcycle. Having to wear a helmet kind of detracts from the sensation but you don't always have to.

Happy Trails
97 Aerbus XL3250, 06 Honda CH80
DIY Banks, track bar, acoustic insulation
Koni FSD front/Bilstein rear
jupoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #19
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our second DP and have not begun to tow. I feel we have missed out on several opportunities to see and do interesting things along our travels. We have rented from Enterprise and both picked up cars and had them delivered to the CG.

We plan several trips each year with a destination in mind. I then try to plot a course that has the most things to see and do. We are rarely in a CG for more than a couple of days. Sometimes there may be a factory tour or a beautiful view that we just can't justify the expense of renting a car and the associated hassle that accompanies it, so it winds up getting skipped. Towing would open up these types of experiences. Whether the expense of towing is worth it in the long run just depends on how important these things are to us. We will probably do it.

I hate to admit it, but many of the places we have been probably won't be seeing us again in this lifetime. I don't know if we should be missing them.

That said, we are actively looking for a toad. We've considered the Saturn Vue and a some models of Jeeps. Whatever we buy will probably be 2-3 yrs old due to our budget. We had a Saturn sedan the first year they were made and really liked it, so it doesn't bother us that they are no longer produced. Have no experience with Jeeps. It must be easy to get in and out of for these old bones.

Anyone with insight as to a good toad, we would be glad to hear from.
Harley & SuAnn Jones and our sheltie, Whisper
Gulfstream Friendship G7 - Freightliner XC - Cat 350 C7
Hydro Hot - EMS-HW50C - Trav'ler - 2008 Saturn Vue XR - ReadyBrute
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
Master of Disaster

We don't tow, but we do stay on the move a lot. With a 30' overall length and a 178" wheelbase we've always been able to get where we wanted to go. I am sure there are some places we won't fit, but they aren't worth towing (and the cost of doing so).

SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #21
We tried this with one motorhome and there were places where there were no rental cars, we just found it extremely difficult to set up sewage, electricity, cable and then need something from the store and have to unhook and drive a large mh to get what was needed. Also increased expenses. We could enjoy cg, but could not site see the area we were in. After a few trips like this it did not take long to decide to save for that toad.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #22
I have seen you people, you really need to carry a bicycle, you could use the exercise.

Another thing I failed to see is that many RV Parks have shuttle service to whatever major attraction is close. Vegas comes to mind. San Antonio has shuttles from the RV parks to the riverwalk, Fiesta Texas, Sea World, and probally a museum or two.
An RV'r is someone driving a $300,000.00 Motorhome towing a $40,000.00 car and looking for a free place to park.
Stogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by HarleyWJones View Post
. Have no experience with Jeeps. It must be easy to get in and out of for these old bones.

Anyone with insight as to a good toad, we would be glad to hear from.
Having both, a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a sedan, I have to say that it is not as hard to get in and out of the SUV than it is with the sedan. The higher positioned seat of the SUV helps a lot!
Hudsoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I don't toad because...

1. it cost a fortune for all the stuff you need..towbar, base plate, braking system, tow-able vehicle, etc.

2. it's a royal pain to maneuver around to get gas, food... heck anything.

But it's also a royal pain not having a toad cause you're stuck were ever you park your rig... can't go see the sights, go out to dinner, pick up parts and supplies... parked inside of an RV park is not seeing America!!
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #25

When we made our trek to Alaska a few years back, a toad was not what you wanted to have. The roads were not conducive to having a toad, I'm sure we would have had damage from the rocks and not being able to negotiate the roads we traveled on but we made the best out of staying at places that provided transportation to places of interest. Some of the attractions included transport in the cost but very well worth it.
Our second year we decided to buy a toad......the most important thing in having a toad is that it provides you with a margin of safety ( some one has already mentioned in case of a breakdown)......with out a toad you might put your life in danger. By that I mean, we were at a CG in Ohio and a tornado warning went off......we had a toad but the people that were next to us did not, and they were sacred....the shelter was about 2 hundred yards across a wide open field and it was raining hard.........we gave them a ride to safety and spend several hours till we could return to our rigs........about 3 in the morning.

Without a toad you miss so many things to see in this great land......we have been down back roads and seen things that we would have never seen.....not to mention convenience.
Anyway, a toad is great....I purchased a used suv ( 1999 Honda crv for under 3k dollars) most of the things I needed to tow on ebay ( tow bar, brake buddy, towing accessories) for a very reasonable price, so it can be done reasonable.

I almost forgot to mention.....as we are getting on in years with bad backs, knees that sometime don't work, it's hard to walk any great distances, so we must rely on a vehicle to get around
corjaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #26
We never missed anything in Alaska by NOT having a TOAD. We went everywhere. Try making a broken U turn on Chena Hot Springs road (60 mile dead end) anywhere along the route with a TOAD. For those replenishing runs to the store an 18 pack fits under the seat and in the little add on trunk. Even Denali on the 13+ miles of road private vehicles can travel were no obstacle. You're right out there in the open.
WOODYDEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #27
for us we dont use the DP enuff to tow we just rent when we get there. Would like to get rid of big suv and get a jeep but two cars sitting in the driveway most of the time just doesnt seem right. neither of us work so the one suv sits for a week at a time two sitting is unrealistic. But a couple 2 week trips a year we just rent.
Ron_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #28
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I towed for nearly five years, then my car died and just now I can not afford to replace.. For the last year we have been "Bobtail" in our motor home.. This limits the amount of sightseeing we can do but here is our basic schedule.. Summer and winter:

Summertime we stay at basically 2 or 3 places, all of them are about sixty miles from each other.. So we go to different churches.. We schedule our campground changes for Sunday.. So Oh-Dark-thirty Sunday Morn we get up, breakfast and finish breaking camp (We set it up on Sat) drive to church and on to the other park (or back to the site depending on the week) Stopping at the grocery store and atm's as needed.

Winter we have 3 parks all within 20 miles.. and only one place in that radius we can go to church.. AND we belong to the choir.. So we do the schedule much the same way, but on Wed we go to choir.

We have some friends who let us use their truck on many Wed's but just now they are far away so we take the house.... This adds to the oppertounits to go shopping and ATMing as well.

Hopefully in 1-3 more years I'll get a new towed,,, Had hoped to do it next month but looks like bills need paying more than car needs buying.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote