Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #1

DONT TOAD please share your experience

This is an update to an earlier post. I asked for comments from those who don't Toad. Got lots of replies from those who do and why I should. However, right now, it isn't in the cards for a lot of reasons.

I would like to hear comments from those who DO NOT pull a toad. What kind of problems do you encounter? Is renting a logical option? Any other issues.

Please don't reply on why I should. There are some good and not so good reasons why, but right now, I am not interested in them as I am not planning to do so.

Thank you

Rick
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hope you get a lot of responses.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We don't TOAD. Third Class A rig...never toad. When we "real" camp, we have an ATV trailer and ATVs with us...when we "shop camp" for the DW we take the rig to the mall park lot, or nearest lot where she is shopping. All our rigs have been 32' or shorter mind you. I wouldn't mind bringing along her car, but she doesn't want rock chips on her "baby", and it's just not in the budget to have another vehicle right now.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are considering to buy two small mopeds/scooters instead of towing. Is anybody using this as a no tow option?
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

I posted why no toad on the other thread.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #6

Thanks Stogie. I read your reply on the other post. Exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

Rick
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrick View Post
This is an update to an earlier post. I asked for comments from those who don't Toad. Got lots of replies from those who do and why I should. However, right now, it isn't in the cards for a lot of reasons.

I would like to hear comments from those who DO NOT pull a toad. What kind of problems do you encounter? Is renting a logical option? Any other issues.

Please don't reply on why I should. There are some good and not so good reasons why, but right now, I am not interested in them as I am not planning to do so.

Thank you

Rick
We don't tow and have never had any problems. If we are going someplace where we will need a car to get around we make reservations in advance at the nearest rental agency and pick up the rental before we set up. It does take some advance planning and sometimes you have to back track to return the rental. If an emergency comes up it doesn't take long to break camp and drive the motor home if there is no other choice. We do carry Good Sam Emergency Road Service in case of a break down. With cell phones and internet it is seldom we can not contact someone if we need to.

We also stock up on food and supplies before we get to the camping area.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
I posted why no toad on the other thread.
Your signature is pretty funny.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I rented for three years. It worked well with some of the weekend discounts...but they went away...then one weekend in Virginia we dropped the rental off on a Sunday and headed home...when I returned to NJ, I noticed I forgot my GPS in the rental. Got it back with a slight hassle...now I am like you thinking to tow soon? I am considering converting my 02 Ford Explorer to a toad rather than by a new toad and bang it up behind the rig. I am watching the blogs...soon I will make up my mind....very soon. Be safe.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rick

We don't have a toad. So far on the trips we've taken we haven't needed one. July of '09 we went to Walt Disney World,we made a 3 week trip out of it,1week down ,1 week there and 1 week home. We stopped in Ashville NC ,rented from Enterprise and they picked us up at campground,we had the car,(they gave us a Suburban,no extra charge) for 24 hours and dropped it off the next day on our way south.Coming home we stopped at Savannah GA,Enterprise again,a 4 dr. compact no problem. Works for us. Most of our trips we don't need a toad right now,maybe some day in the future.

Hope this helps Happy motoring
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Enterprise will pick you up at the campground, and take you
back as well. Used them many times, not always quick and convenient,
but works as an alternate. With all the cost associated with toads, not
a bad deal depending on how often you get out. By the way, with good
mud flaps right behind the tires on the coach, and the big
metal/rubber flap on the rear, we
have zero marks on the Explorer in 15,000+ miles.
Toad gets dirty with the DP, but cleans up well.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #12

I don't toad at this time. I keep considering it, but so far just carry a 250cc "Dual Sport" (on/off road) motorcycle on a carrier on the back of the DP.
PROS:
1. I can load/unload the bike in 5 minutes.
2. It is good for extended travel (200 plus miles) if needed.
3. Gets 70 MPG,
4. Insurance is under $100 a year.
5. Since the wheels are off the ground, there is no wear and tear when it's being carried,
6. No additional charge at tolls.
7. It seats 2, so only one is needed for 2 people.
8.The full sized wheels track much better than smaller scooter wheels through potholes and rough roads.
9. It allows us to park the MH, and then access areas that even a Jeep cannot.
10. No debris damage to the bike, since it is carried above the bumper of the MH.
11. No problem backing up.

CONS. The only downside vs a toad is that extended riding in the rain is not much fun - but is IS an adventure

Example Photo (Not Me)

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We didn't tow steady we would suck off other people and ride with them. Then it seemed like we must have developed a bad bad stink couse no one would park near us and just sneek away; We lost a lot of friends, started towing study and now thoes suckers are asking us for rides;; Can you emagine the B---- to do that..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #14

Guess you don't like what I posted? Don't know how to elaborate on no problems.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote