Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Don't torque your rig..windshield replacement

Wife and I drove up to our cabin in MN near the Canadian border about 4 weeks ago. Our last fuel stop in WI was at a smaller truck stop about 3 miles off the main road. Upon leaving the pump, we neglected to notice a 4-6 inch curb in front of our rig and drove over it onto the highway. Sadly, both wheels did NOT go over at the same time and we ended up twisting the rig's front end. At our next stop we were presented with a crack on the left side of the windshield; about 3-4 feet.

Got in touch with the insurance and sure enough we had a 1,000 deductible. Did not have it replaced at the cabin, instead had it replaced at the RV park we are now staying at right outside of Minneapolis. Couple of very nice guys, took them about 2 hours to swap the old for the new.

The windshield weighs around 200 lbs and comes out of Elkart, IN. usually 3-4 day delivery.

The installer has done about a 100 of these and told me that last week he did one that was 7 1/2 feet high. Must have been a Prevost of some sort.

Hope someone saves some cash by reading my experience.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0477.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	74196   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0499.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	74199  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0516.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	74200  

patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

Ouch!

Old 09-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I did the same thing trying to level at an RV park that must have been built for goats. Now if it is too much of a pitch I change sites or leave. Good heads up! It doesn't take much to pop a windshield, I found that out the hard way.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #4

Yeah, that hurts. I have a split glass setup and had both replaced on my coach for cracks on the top edges. It's hard to put out a grand, as we both had to do.

However, my glass cost about $3600 total to replace. The way I look at it, that's $2600 I didn't have to dish out...
Old 09-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #5

Mmm, not to pile on with bad news but if a sealant was used in the installation the bare hands those guys are using to touch the edges are known to lead to adhesion problems down the road.

If there was no sealant/adhesive used and just a rubber surround, then I'm not aware that it matters.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The glass just sat down in to the rubber gasket. They did use gloves when they applied a sealant around the outside of the gasket where the gasket meets the rig. Swept, cleaned up, windshield has never been cleaner.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #7

Glass Breakage Cause

Most windshield failures during leveling are indicative of a flexing frame.

You should consider doing an inspection of the chassis to see if there is an underlying cause.

JohnnyB
Old 09-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
The glass just sat down in to the rubber gasket. They did use gloves when they applied a sealant around the outside of the gasket where the gasket meets the rig. Swept, cleaned up, windshield has never been cleaner.
At that point I think the gloves were to protect their hands as they already contaminated the glass. I know the sealant won't adhere properly to any places they touched the glass with their bare hands. If no adhesive was used on the glass that probably doesn't matter. I really don't know one way or another if they can contaminate the gasket itself so as to interfere with the adhesive. Maybe the gloves were to keep their hands off the gasket?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"patmsp".....A couple of months after buying my Monaco new in 2005, we took a trip to Sedona, Az and got a large rock chip. Luckily, it was repairable for $50.00. After that I called my insurance and asked what it would cost to lower the deductible on my windshield, fearing future issues. They said I could lower just the comprehensive portion of my insurance to $100.00 for about $30-$40 a year.

Sure enough, I didn't have an issue for 9 years, but in a two month period I broke first one side and then the other of my two piece windshield. My cost, $200.00 for both.

Check your insurance.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Most windshield failures during leveling are indicative of a flexing frame.

You should consider doing an inspection of the chassis to see if there is an underlying cause.

JohnnyB
Thanks for your response.....but as I wrote in my initial post, the problem did NOT occur during leveling, it occurred after driving off a curb that I did not see.

Thank you for you response.

Pat
Old 09-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #11

I would hope there are some class (A)'s out here that won't have that windshield cracking issue.

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement