Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

Don't want batteries to freeze

Hi all... Temps are in the single digits here and I am concerned with keeping my batteries from freezing up. They are in the coach battery compartments. Is there any harm putting a couple trouble lights in the compartments ??? Does keeping them on a trickle charge protect them from freezing ??? Thanks for any advice...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

Keep them warm or charged up or both:

Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section 4

Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've had -8 F overnight here in southwest CO at 7500 feet elevation, and our coach batteries are just fine. There is a charger on the batteries (integral part of the coach when new). Batteries in a good state of charge won't freeze at these temperatures. A trouble light would add heat, but I'd not worry about it if the batteries are otherwise working well for you. You can buy battery warmers (similar to a heating pad) if you're really concerned.

http://amzn.to/1tGdKwt

http://amzn.to/1tGdMoe

When charging, they can give off hydrogen gas, which can burn/explode - not to worry you, because if well ventilated, there again will be no problem.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Minus 11 this AM and wind chill @ 30-40 below, Haven't heard or seen anyone that had a frozen Battery.
Keep them charged and u should be okay. How old are the batteries?
JMO,Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
A charged battery won't freeze. If it's dead, it might. No need to heat or keep on charge as long as all possible drains are disconnected in storage.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Charging Batteries periodically throughout winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
Hi all... Temps are in the single digits here and I am concerned with keeping my batteries from freezing up. They are in the coach battery compartments. Is there any harm putting a couple trouble lights in the compartments ??? Does keeping them on a trickle charge protect them from freezing ??? Thanks for any advice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A charged battery won't freeze. If it's dead, it might. No need to heat or keep on charge as long as all possible drains are disconnected in storage.
My 4 house batteries are new last year... don't know about my starting batteries ??? I was thinking about plugging the RV into my 50amp circuit every couple weeks throughout the winter and let it charge overnight for a couple days. I believe the batteries are supposed to charge when plugged in, but then again I am not sure how to verify if that's the case ??? Anyone know ???
Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
A rested, charged battery should read 12.6 volts. When plugged in to shore power, your converter/charger should raise voltage to 13.4 v to charge the batteries. Check both chassis and house batteries for charging voltage. You might also do this when engine is running to learn if house batteries charge on engine alternator. It's a good idea to get a base line measure so you'll know how to check when things don't work as they should.

Often chassis batteries will have radio presets and clock, engine or trans. computer drawing from them, causing discharge. This can be measured if you turn off battery isolation switches and then remove cable from battery post. Measure amps between cable and post.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are they charged? Fully charged they should not freeze at any temps we are likely to see in the lower 49,,, (48 Plus HI)

I have seen batteries hit -40 and not freeze on at least two occasions. The car would not start on one of 'em (Transistors in the solid state ignition system did not transist) but the battery did not freeze.

The other time I had breaker point ignition, no problem with that one. Still worked fine.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #9

I leave mine on a battery tender. And distilled water covering the plates. And they are fully charged. Hopefully, I'm doing the right thing.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link that will explain many things in your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I have not seen a charged battery freeze even when 30 below. Other told you how to check you batteries with a meter. if your starting batteries are not charging then get a small battery tender charger and plug them to it over night.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
Tom
A fully charged lead acid battery will freeze at about 75 degrees below zero F.
I always keep my coach plugged into a 20 Amp receptical so the on board 3 stage charger does it job on all 6 of my12V batteries when my coach is stored in Wisconsin winter weather, which gets cold...(but not THAT COLD)!

Forecast:
Tomorrow night -11, warming to -1 on Friday, Friday night dropping to -14.

(Sure glad I'm in Louisiana, where its 53).

BTW, "wind chill" has no affect on inanimate objects, (like batteries).

Mel,
'96 Safari
Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #13

All good advice - I have never seen a frozen battery in Minnesota....just need a little charge.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #14

4 GEL batteries, each costing $700 - flat and frozen and cracked - all because the installer didn't tighten the solar panel mountings correctly.

PS Don't forget the starter batteries.

Tags
batteries