Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Door awning clicks will not close

2005 fleetwood expedition 38n... Dometic Oasis F 45i door awning.. Have had it extended for a while plugged in at house.. Went to close it today all I hear is clicking when I push retract on both the fob and control box... Any ideas I might try I am not a handy man guy... We have had much rain and the plastic cover on the awning that I bet covers the motor let out a good bit of water when I moved it....Tks for help GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
2005 fleetwood expedition 38n... Dometic Oasis F 45i door awning.. Have had it extended for a while plugged in at house.. Went to close it today all I hear is clicking when I push retract on both the fob and control box... Any ideas I might try I am not a handy man guy... We have had much rain and the plastic cover on the awning that I bet covers the motor let out a good bit of water when I moved it....Tks for help GlenB
Glen,
Well Sir, I just wrote a thread a few weeks ago on this very subject. Only, mine's been on and off acting up, just like yours is doing, since we've owned the coach, approximately 4 years ago. On mine, if I extend it out all the way 'till the arm/elbows are straight, it sometimes does not have enough power to overcome the re-bending of the spring-loaded elbows and, finish retracting the awning.

I had many, many very helpful people trying to pinpoint what was/is ailing my door awing situation. Incidentally, mine is a "Mirage" version. It was set up for an Oasis but, got changed at the factory to the Mirage which, was only made, in a DOOR AWNING for a very short time. Even the lady at Dometic didn't even know they made it for a short while.

But, in your case, here's a small test. If your elbows are straight, and, you've not tried to reel it in for oh, say, about 5 minutes or more, then you might need two people for this test. You stand in your entry way and, with both hands, PRE-BEND those elbows and hold it like that. And, while you're doing that, have a helper push the retract button. See if that makes any difference at all. Let me know what the results are will you? Thanks
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tks for the reply. On mine the elbows are both bent....in that they have not locked out... And I guess motor still won't engage??? Tks for help...
Old 04-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
Tks for the reply. On mine the elbows are both bent....in that they have not locked out... And I guess motor still won't engage??? Tks for help...
Glen,
Can you possibly get a picture of your awning and motor area? I'd like to see if it's close, in design to mine. If so, you can possibly remove the motor cover and, expose the wires to it. There are only two. They reverse rolls when the awning is extending and retracting. That is, on the EXTEND operation, one is ground and one is power. On the RETRACT operation, they change and, the one that was Power, is now a ground and, the one that was ground, is now a power.

Since it works that way, you can possibly do what I did and, that is, un plug the wires and apply 12V direct to those two wires on the motor. If it works as mine does, one way you apply the power, you'll retract it. IF you reverse the wires, you'll extend it. You might give this a try to see if at least you can start to analyze your issues. If you do this test, please let me know how it comes out. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well good news this AM I decided to take over off motor end of awning and tapped on motor while pushing fob button. The motor began to retract the awning but I had to help push the front of the awning. I guess not a good connection. I will work on it more when o get home!!! Happy camping!!! GlenB
Old 04-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GlenB,
The awning is spring loaded to the open position. The motor makes for a controlled opening, but the spring does the work. The motor and the motor clutch retract the awning under power. Because you heard clicking when pressing the retract button, tells me the motor is working. The only other component is the motor clutch. You may be on the brink of a complete failure. In that case the awning will open with speed and a large "bang". This can happen at any moment. While still or while moving! Check out these photos:
Door Awning Clutch - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Door Awning Clutch - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Had the same problem, found that the spring inside the roller shell was broken. Replaced the spring and that did the trick. all is working now.

Tags
awning, door