Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Door opening DP to remove/replace furniture

Has anyone had to remove or disconnect the door on a DP bus type to remove and or replace furniture from the inside of their motorhome? I am finding that I cannot find a replacement jackknife bed requiring 24 inch opening and I can only get 23 inch opening, but if I could swing the door wide open I could the maybe the 24 inch required. Even finding that opening I find that I cannot find a couch with a short depth like I only have 26 inches floor on the slide. I figured that I could extend maybe out to 30 inches. I know take a window out or windshield I really don't want to do that. The old one was a flexsteel and I have looked hours for a replacement. I am at the$1100.00 mark and still looking.
Thanks for listening
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #2

How about the emergency escape window? I was able to get my Flexsteel sofa out by simply lifting the escape window up.
weaverworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #3

I also have a flexsteel jack knife sofa. I remove it every year to live in Florida for four months. We prefer a recliner and end table for extended stays. Anyways, you can completely disassemble it in about 30min. and it will fit thru the door with no problems.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
follow on request

Could you take some pictures of your jack knife bed and door and e mail me either PM or this site?
Thanks
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #5

Video of a flexsteel dissassembly

stumpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverworks View Post
How about the emergency escape window? I was able to get my Flexsteel sofa out by simply lifting the escape window up.
You have to use caution doing this , I found out the hard way that my escape window fell out of it's hinge when fully raised, to move washing machine into the coach, luckily a friend; waiting to pass the washer in; with very quick hands caught it, inches above ground level.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
You have to use caution doing this , I found out the hard way that my escape window fell out of it's hinge when fully raised, to move washing machine into the coach, luckily a friend; waiting to pass the washer in; with very quick hands caught it, inches above ground level.
We're not as young as we used to be. Good reaction time though.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We completely disassembled ours and removed it. Re-assembled and sold it on Craigslist. Replaced it with a Lazy Boy hide a bed. Had a guy disassemble it and re- assemble it in our coach for $200. Don't regret a penny of it.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell18 View Post
Has anyone had to remove or disconnect the door on a DP bus type to remove and or replace furniture from the inside of their motorhome? I am finding that I cannot find a replacement jackknife bed requiring 24 inch opening and I can only get 23 inch opening, but if I could swing the door wide open I could the maybe the 24 inch required. Even finding that opening I find that I cannot find a couch with a short depth like I only have 26 inches floor on the slide. I figured that I could extend maybe out to 30 inches. I know take a window out or windshield I really don't want to do that. The old one was a flexsteel and I have looked hours for a replacement. I am at the$1100.00 mark and still looking.
Thanks for listening
Bruce, maybe I'm not understanding you, but on my coach I can take the screws out that hold the top door bracket to the door opening and that allows me to swing the door all the way back.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just replaced the Norcold refer in mine. I removed the door arm at the top of the door and then disconnected front over the door awning arm and swung my door all the way open. This gave me an additional 2.5" of opening.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I haven't seen one yet that didn't fall out like that. They're made to let you escape quickly in an emergency so if they break it's OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a very interesting and informative thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/sofa...ga-165923.html about one of our members trials and tribulations getting a Flexsteel couch out of her coach.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door